Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's preventing Topps from having a monopoly on MLB cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Or does Topps technically have a monopoly on MLB cards?

The unregulated high cost of each new issue is annoying, the products themselves are annoying at that high cost.

I never complained about there being too many card companies, just too many bad products.

How can one company have complete control of this large a market without any competition?

It appears they are striving to improve certain areas, and at the same time they are getting more un-organized.

I know one thing, I'm buying less new product than ever, so what's driving all these prices up? Who's paying for these products?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
JoshHamilton said:
What do you mean? They already have a monopoly

So why can't other companies produce MLB cards? What decision/power does the MLBPA and MLB properties have that allows them to only grant one mlb license for baseball cards. I thought this was illegal. Isn't that why donruss and fleer came in 1981?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
brouthercard said:
JoshHamilton said:

So why can't other companies produce MLB cards? What decision/power does the MLBPA and MLB properties have that allows them to only grant one mlb license for baseball cards. I thought this was illegal. Isn't that why donruss and fleer came in 1981?
It's an exclusive contract. It's basically a monopoly by common definition, but not legal.

There's actually a class action lawsuit against EA Sports and the NFL for their monopoly on NFL video games, but I'm sure it's going to be shut down by a judge. But it's basically the same concept as Topps and MLB, or Panini and NBA.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
JoshHamilton said:

Regardless of the ruling in 1981, if a company took MLBP to court, it'd be at least an 12 month long case (assuming the court ruled in their favor, add another 12 months for an appeal) and cost millions of dollars in legal fees.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
MLB owns the rights to the team logos and names (registered trademarks or copyrights) and can decide how those are used. Players Association has the rights to the players' images. You need both approvals to make cards with player photo and team logo. UD and Sportkings cards in 2010 did not have MLB rights, but had PA rights. Thus cards with player photo but no logos or team names (only city).

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I never complained about there being too many card companies, just too many bad products.

By the way, I detest this line of "reasoning"

If you don't like a certain product, don't buy it.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Professional sports leagues are exempt from monopoly rules. I'm sure the same goes for companies that enter into exclusive contracts with them.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Back in 2005, with 4 licenses...the entry level product line for Topps was 99 cents a pack.

Currently in 2011, with this "unregulated high cost of each new issue"...the entry level product line for Topps is 99 cents a pack.

A&G, Topps Chrome, Topps Heritage, Bowman Chrome, etc...have all seen the MSRP stay the same...and that said, I'd imagine it to be a tough sell as a monopoly that negatively affects consumers, even if the argument of a monopoly held up.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Truth be told, Topps is having a very strong 2011. Every product has been successful thus far and the value from them is much improved as is the quality.

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
They have a monopoly. The issue seems to be, how after 60 years of making cards can you still have blunders like gypsy queen?? They definately have made products that kids can afford in the regular topps issue and A&G, T-206 and ones for the high end like triple threads, sterling and tribute. So they seem to be doing the right thing it that aspect. It seems though with all the different cards out there add chicle, all 3 bowman releases and 2nd series topps and now gypsy queen. There are a dozen or more different baseball sets each year. That is way too many. If there were fewer products, those products would hold their value better. Each time something new or percieved to be better comes along, the previous release drops in price drastically.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
brouthercard said:

The unregulated high cost of each new issue is annoying, the products themselves are annoying at that high cost.

How can one company have complete control of this large a market without any competition?

It appears they are striving to improve certain areas, and at the same time they are getting more un-organized.

I know one thing, I'm buying less new product than ever, so what's driving all these prices up? Who's paying for these products?

This made me laugh - I'd love to know what you think a small market is...the baseball card market isn't nearly as big as you think or make it out to be.

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
Does anyone have an idea of when this monopoly, or exclusive licensing arrangement, between MLB and Topps might end?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
JoshHamilton said:

By the way, I detest this line of "reasoning"

If you don't like a certain product, don't buy it.

I don't. I go back and buy older products that I enjoy. But it would be nice to buy some new products every now and then to better reflect players on current rosters. It would be better to have a wider variety of nice products to choose from, rather than succumb to the only option out there held at ransom.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Back in 2005, with 4 licenses...the entry level product line for Topps was 99 cents a pack.

Currently in 2011, with this "unregulated high cost of each new issue"...the entry level product line for Topps is 99 cents a pack.

A&G, Topps Chrome, Topps Heritage, Bowman Chrome, etc...have all seen the MSRP stay the same...and that said, I'd imagine it to be a tough sell as a monopoly that negatively affects consumers, even if the argument of a monopoly held up.

I'm referring to secondary market prices. It's sad to see someone come in to the shop looking for gypsy queens the first day of official release, and to see them go home empty handed cause they don't want to pay $175 for a new product that should be $120 SRP the very first day. Topps is printing money uncontrolled. They can control quantity/time release of products, they can print more if they want. It's just bad when there is no one else to keep them "honest". I'm a firm believer that competition is good, especially when money is involved.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
brouthercard said:

This made me laugh - I'd love to know what you think a small market is...the baseball card market isn't nearly as big as you think or make it out to be.

On a baseball card message board, it's the only thing that matters. Small market - bass fishing cards.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
brouthercard said:
brouthercard said:

On a baseball card message board, it's the only thing that matters. Small market - bass fishing cards.

Sure, everything's relative LOL. But there's not as much room for growth in the market as some may make it seem, the vast majority of people who don't currently collect would be more than happy with what's always been around if they were to start collecting all of a sudden.

Heck most people who bust now don't even want 99% of what they pull anyway - almost everything goes to ebay either immediately or within a couple months. Come to think about it, most people wind up being card distributors working for Topps and/or eBay.

Meh, its interesting discussion anyway.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
brouthercard said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I'm referring to secondary market prices. It's sad to see someone come in to the shop looking for gypsy queens the first day of official release, and to see them go home empty handed cause they don't want to pay $175 for a new product that should be $120 SRP the very first day. Topps is printing money uncontrolled. They can control quantity/time release of products, they can print more if they want. It's just bad when there is no one else to keep them "honest". I'm a firm believer that competition is good, especially when money is involved.

Price is always high on most stuff right at release. Topps isn't the ones making the extra cake, it's the dealers. Nice to see them have some winners instead of selling stuff at cost and even below. GQ has a lot of value in it. I hope Topps keep it up and not mass produce and have crappy overproduced stuff out all the time.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
brouthercard said:
brouthercard said:

Sure, everything's relative LOL. But there's not as much room for growth in the market as some may make it seem, the vast majority of people who don't currently collect would be more than happy with what's always been around if they were to start collecting all of a sudden.

Heck most people who bust now don't even want 99% of what they pull anyway - almost everything goes to ebay either immediately or within a couple months. Come to think about it, most people wind up being card distributors working for Topps and/or eBay.

Meh, its interesting discussion anyway.

I agree that most people who are buying the new products now are cracking and flipping. The people who would otherwise purchase the boxes and keep all the contents in their collections, well, they are stuck with buying singles or not buying at all. But part of the "fun" of the hobby is opening packs and knowing that you were the first person to touch those uncirculated cards. Tis the sad truth, and with only one company, it makes that problem even easier to blame on that one company. This is nothing specific to Topps. I would criticize Upper Crap or Dogruss as well if they were the only game in town and "controlled" the market as obviously as Topps is doing now. I criticize Pagnini as well.

Exclusive = not so hot in my book.

But fortunately, like you alluded to, there's plenty of older singles, boxes, and cases to mess around with for now to keep most current collectors and potential new collectors entertained for years. But you can only handle so many Mike Harkey upper decks or Lance Blankenship score cards for so long, you want to see Tejada in a giants uni on a card or Cliff Lee in a phils uni.

Members online

Latest posts