Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you guys choose which prospect to stash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Since I am really bored with everything I am doing in the hobby, I might try a stash. I hope I am not asking for "no-no" info right now, but I was curious.

Is it pure research, pure gut feeling, for a mix of both?

Any help is appreciated.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
i don't really prospect for profit, i more or less just scout out the angels draft and intl signings each year and buy up the guys which i feel have a chance to make an impact with the big club some day. if you get in early and sell your dupes when the cards are hot, you can build up quite a collection with little out of pocket expense in the long run. i have been bitten in the ass a few times with guys like kotchman but all in all, i have done okay.

cjb9421

Feb 17, 2010
I prospect for profit...I watch around for what cards are "hot" and just look around on websites for those "hot" cards and when I get them in I sell em ASAP for more. Its easy.

But if you want to invest in a player and hold for a given amount of time...well....thats just not my style. But just pick a prospect who you think will jump based on potential and what kind of cards he has availible.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
its partly my own scouting, partly gut, partly numbers, and also depends on what cards he's getting. look for market inefficiencies.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
DaveH said:
its partly my own scouting, partly gut, partly numbers, and also depends on what cards he's getting. look for market inefficiencies.

This pretty sums up what I do as well. I would definitely recommend picking a player from your favorite team's organization if it's your first prospecting experience. It's just easier to get into it that way IMO. Also, I created my blog to try to give people some strategy insight and some different perspective on prospecting. Check it out if you are interested.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
Stash the hitting prospects that are at least 6'3" and can hit for decent average(usually translates to power production once their frame fills out), stash the pitchers that have high SO/IP with high strikeout to walk ratio's as long as they have a high 90's fastball and at least 1 above average secondary pitch. There are steals to be had with some of the USA chrome autos which are going for next to nothing! Good luck with your stashes!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I've always been a fan of whoever has the softest lips. Let me know how that works for you.

More than anything, good luck with your endeavor.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
To be a successful prospector, I would say you have to follow minor league baseball more than the average guy, and be able to know the market enough to realize who is undervalued. Constantly buying undervalued guys is going to lead to success, in my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts