Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Bowman Retail - LIVE this week!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
The intention of this post is to 'inform' and save people money by finding the best bang for the buck break of retail. If you look at completed auctions the past 48 hours, Bowman retail has been selling much more frequently than Bowman hobby/jumbo.

Pros of retail this year
+ Harper Auto
+ Pineda retail exclusive auto
+ Harper chromes

I'm going to use 2010 Bowman's odds which will hopefully be consistent with 2011 Bowman as well. In 2010 Bowman, no one really cared to pull an auto in retail as everyone was looking chromes of Strasburg and Harper. This year, one of the biggest draws is the auto class that is particularly strong. It's important to know that they do break the autos into groups and the better players are typically much tougher to pull.

BLASTERS
Most people think when busting retail, the best value is in the blasters. That may have been true for 2010 as everyone was just looking for chrome, but as far as the autos are concerned it is the worst possible break and its not close. The odds of pulling an auto of GROUP A in 2010 Bowmn was 1:88 packs. Yes, thats one in EIGHTY EIGHT PACKS, or 1:11 blasters (which would cost you $220 in blasters). The odds of pulling the better group of autos in group b was MUCH tougher. Group B autos were 1:3,200 packs or 1:400 blasters. If 2010 is any indication on how 2011 will be, avoid blasters like the plague.
GROUP A 1:88
GROUP B 1:3,200
Refractor 1:32
Purple Refractor 1:8
Blue Refractor 1:121
Gold Refractor 1:630
Orange Refractor 1:1282

RETAIL 24 CT
The retail 24 ct boxes have the exact same odds on chrome parallels but the auto odds were much better at 1 per box. For group A autos, it was 1:24 packs while group B was 1:1,400 packs. While the odds are better, its still just 1:58 boxes for Group B auto. Cases have been selling on ebay for $600 which works out to $50 per box for the chance at 1 BPA Auto.

GROUP A 1:24
GROUP B 1:1,400
Refractor 1:32
Purple Refractor 1:8
Blue Refractor 1:121
Gold Refractor 1:630
Orange Refractor 1:1282

BOWMAN VALUE PACKS 18 CT
This seems to be where the best value is so far if you're looking for parallels as well as auto odds. These are the 'rack packs' that come with 20 cards per pack and 18 packs per box. These are called 'value boxes' when you're searching online. One seller has a case of 'rack pack boxes' which are 6 box cases for $599 BIN which works out to $100 per box. Avoid that! Another seller has them listed as 'value boxes' and they seem to be the hottest seller right now on ebay for bowman and they would be hotter if people were aware they were rack pack boxes. They are selling for $69.96 and 40 of them have been sold in the past 24 hours so you can see its a hot commodity. The odds were much better than any other boxes in 2010 with a price point that was pretty close. Group A autos were 1:17, but Group B autos were 5:585. The best odds however came from the chrome parallels,

Refractor 1:12
Purple Refractor 1:4
Blue Refractor 1:36
Gold Refractor 1:192
Orange Refractor 1:387

In my opinion, after looking at 2010's odds, the 2011 blasters will be very poor value as a 16 box case of blasters only hit on average 1.5 autos last year per case. If you're looking for chrome cards like in 2010, it might have been the best break, but when autos are the key hit items in 2011 it will be a poor break. The 'value boxes or rack packs' seem to be the best value and are the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

However, for the price of retail right now I still think its a horrible break in comparison to the jumbos. Over the past 3 days, 2011 bowman retail is the hottest seller on ebay with the inclusion of Pineda and Harper autos, but the odds of hitting 1 of those 2 cards should make it a bad break overall. For those wanting to rush out like in 2010 and buy every Bowman retail thats on the shelves, save yourself the money and buy a box of jumbo or singles.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Re: 2011 Bowman Retail

Great analysis, i really appreciate the thought and work that went into it.

I won't go near retail this year........Or is that what you WANT me to believe....

We're on to you man, Ohhhhhhh we're on to you.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010

Mudcatsfan said:
Great analysis, i really appreciate the thought and work that went into it.

I won't go near retail this year........Or is that what you WANT me to believe....

We're on to you man, Ohhhhhhh we're on to you.

haha, I originally ordered a case of blasters but thankfully they canceled my order and raised the price! I had no idea autos were 1:11 blasters last year, thats nuts!

Especially considering there are 19 players in the BPA autos. Even if the autos weren't short printed into groups and you had the same odds across the board, pulling Pineda in particular would be 1:209 blasters. I think the rack packs are the way to go if anything as the odds for chrome parallels are much better and the odds are better for the tougher group autos.

And I don't know on the release date, last year bowman retail came out about 2 weeks after hobby. But you never know as platinum came out a month before hobby, so its just a wait and see I guess.

Personally, instead of 1 Jumbo box, I would rather open 2 Hobby for the same cost as 1 jumbo. Down the line you will end up with far more Chromes, Refractors and Inserts with the same amount of chrome prospect autos.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010

solt0131 said:
Personally, instead of 1 Jumbo box, I would rather open 2 Hobby for the same cost as 1 jumbo. Down the line you will end up with far more Chromes, Refractors and Inserts with the same amount of chrome prospect autos.

Jumbo - 8 chromes per pack with 12 packs per box = 96 chromes per box
x2 Hobby - 2 chromes per pack with 24 packs per box = 96 chromes per box

Same amount of chrome, better odds on parallels and 1 extra auto. I'd take 1 jumbo over 2 hobby any day of the week.

frzg said:
solt0131 said:

Same amount of chrome, better odds on parallels and 1 extra auto. I'd take 1 jumbo over 2 hobby any day of the week.

Are you sure it's 8 chrome per pack in Jumbo? This is what I have seen:

Bowman Chrome Prospects - 2 Per Hobby and 6 Per Jumbo Packs
The same 110 Prospects shine on Bowman numbered BCP1 –110 with a "First Bowman Chrome Card" logo.
Available in the following Refractor parallels:
- Printing Plates: 1/1 Jumbo exclusive
- Super-Fractor: 1/1 Hobby and Jumbo exclusive
- Red: Numbered to 5 Hobby and Jumbo exclusive
- Orange: Numbered to 25
- Refractor: Numbered to 50
- Blue: Numbered to 250
- Refractor: Numbered to 750

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD

But keep in mind you are paying $6 (suggested retail) for the value packs. Apples to apples, you are looking at 12 Value Packs ($72) to each Retail Box/24 packs ($72). The pack odds look a little different if you factor cost into the equation.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

im curious to see what exclusives Target/Walmart get this year

those green xfractors were cool looking last year

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008

Holy Cow, great info! If this was done for every product no one would every get screwed because they didn't
know what was in a product. Hopefully topps keeps to their promises, something they haven't done in the past.
Thanks again!

Kevin

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.

frzg said:
solt0131 said:

It was 6 chromes per jumbo pack until now... is that changing this year? If not, that means 72 chromes per jumbo box.

14 bowman base cards
8 bowman prospects
6 bowman chrome prospects
1 blue or orange parallel
3 other parallels (Topps100 and such)

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010

sebpoo said:
frzg said:
solt0131 said:

It was 6 chromes per jumbo pack until now... is that changing this year? If not, that means 72 chromes per jumbo box.

14 bowman base cards
8 bowman prospects

Sorry you're right, blowout has it listed wrong as its the base bowman thats 8 per pack, not the chrome.

sportscardfanatic said:
But keep in mind you are paying $6 (suggested retail) for the value packs. Apples to apples, you are looking at 12 Value Packs ($72) to each Retail Box/24 packs ($72). The pack odds look a little different if you factor cost into the equation.

The price of the value pack and retail was in regards to whats been selling on ebay, not retail price at a store. I don't think I've ever seen rack pack boxes at a store. 52 boxes of the 'rack packs' have sold on ebay in the last 24 hours. Retail cases are selling quickly as well. But the blaster cases seem to be selling out pretty quick at $299 for a 16 box blaster case. But based off last years odds, thats 1.5 autos per 16 box case which is basically 1 auto for $299. If you're going to be busting 2011 Bowman retail and you're looking for Pineda autos along with the other BPA's, blasters are the last place you should look and thats the main point of my post.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008

I'm going to use 2010 Bowman's odds which will hopefully be consistent with 2011 Bowman as well

I bet the odds might be similar but not identical

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.

frzg said:
sebpoo said:
frzg said:
solt0131 said:

14 bowman base cards
8 bowman prospects

Sorry you're right, blowout has it listed wrong as its the base bowman thats 8 per pack, not the chrome.

However, i'm not that sure that odds are better to snap refractors and parallels in regular boxes than jumbo. Last year, i got plenty of colors and inserts and i used to buyed jumbo only. I thought it was about the same.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

ThoseBackPages said:

There will be no "3 per Rack" exclusives this year

The racks for 2011 Bowman will be normal racks that sell for $5.

Well, thats what I think. :lol:

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010

vwnut13 said:
ThoseBackPages said:

There will be no "3 per Rack" exclusives this year

The racks for 2011 Bowman will be normal racks that sell for $5.

Well, thats what I think. :lol:

The 3 per rack exclusives (Green Xfractors) were in Bowman Chrome, not base Bowman.

Last year the Bowman racks were the $5 racks - they had purple refractors randomly inserted - as did all other retail packages I saw.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

tribefan26 said:
Last year the Bowman racks were the $5 racks - they had purple refractors randomly inserted - as did all other retail packages I saw.

The only reason that we saw the $9 racks last year was because of Bowman. IMO

Topps figured that if 2011 Bowman sold out so fast that they could seel out of the other products but get $9 instead of $5.

In the past Bowman Chrome came in "single-pocketed" rack packs for $5.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD

frzg said:
The price of the value pack and retail was in regards to whats been selling on ebay, not retail price at a store. I don't think I've ever seen rack pack boxes at a store. 52 boxes of the 'rack packs' have sold on ebay in the last 24 hours. Retail cases are selling quickly as well. But the blaster cases seem to be selling out pretty quick at $299 for a 16 box blaster case. But based off last years odds, thats 1.5 autos per 16 box case which is basically 1 auto for $299. If you're going to be busting 2011 Bowman retail and you're looking for Pineda autos along with the other BPA's, blasters are the last place you should look and thats the main point of my post.

I know you are basing it off of ebay pricing. I'm basing it off of retail pricing. If you take that into consideration, value pack is still better, but the disparity you are finding is not as great. Your post is a little misleading because even though you mention that value packs are 20 cards per pack, you are comparing them as apples to apples. Value packs are essentially a "double" packs. Being that it's not 1:1 when compared to Blasters and Retail boxes, the pack odds don't tell a complete story.

I know you are pretty adept at finding great pricing on ebay, but for the general public, they will be hitting up Walmart and Target once it releases. Your pricing that you are finding is not going to be what others are paying.

Don't get me wrong...I think what you are saying is great. If anything, I'm just adding to your research. If you were to look at a Value Pack as "2 Packs" the odds would look more like this:

1 Box of Value Pack = 18 Value Packs (or 36 Regular Packs*) = ~$2.50 per Regular Pack* = ~$90 per box
Bowman Prospect Autographs:
- Group A 1:34
- Group B 1:1170
Prospect/USA Baseball Chrome Parallels:
- *Refractor 1:24
- *Purple Refractor 1:8
- *Blue Refractor 1:72
- *Gold Refractor 1:384
- *Orange Refractor 1:774

This compared to Retail Box and Blasters

1 Box of Retail = 24 Packs = ~$72 per box
- Group A 1:24
- Group B 1:1400
- *Refractor 1:32
- *Blue Refractor 1:121
- *Gold Refractor 1:630
- *Orange Refractor 1:1282

1 Blaster Box = 8 packs = ~$20 per box
- Group A 1:99
- Group B 1:3200
- *Refractor 1:32
- *Blue Refractor 1:121
- *Gold Refractor 1:630
- *Orange Refractor 1:1282

Blasters is still the worse, but Retail Box is not as horrible when you compare it this way.

Anyway, I also feel this is premature since we have no clue what the pack odd are really going to be. It's okay to speculate, but I'm not going to put all of my eggs in one basket and buy a crap load of value packs. I bought a case of each. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Members online

Latest posts