Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looks like I got schilled... Your opinion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Since I will likely never complete my 2000 Fleer Greats of the game Autograph set because of the Mike Schmidt SP autograph, I placed a snipe on this Mike Schmidt PSA card as filler for my set. I won the card. It seemed odd that I won for exactly what my top bid was so I looked at the bid history. The second placed bidder placed multiple bids in the last hour. 90% of the second place bidder's bids are all with the same seller. Seems like I got schilled!

What do you guys think?

[ebay:1n2ekef0]380342226551[/ebay:1n2ekef0]

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
nosterbor said:
you can end all that crap. get some sort of auction sniper!

If you read his post you would see that's exactly what he did. I don't see how this is shill bidding as your snipe went in 2 min after the other bidder stopped bidding. It's not like he kept bidding up to your max. That's the whole point of sniping. Just because you had to pay your max doesn't mean the seller is shilling the auction.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It's kind of fishy the way he has bid on 6 items in the last 30 days, and 4 of them were from this same seller.

If you got shilled, it was more of a sneaky way for the seller to set a reserve... since at the time he bid it up to $50, he had no way of knowing you were going to bid.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It could be that the underbidder saw that his $25 bid was just under the then-current winner, so he rebid for $27.50 20 seconds later. Then after thinking a little while (13 min), decided to bump his max bid to $35. Then 20 minutes later he put in his final bid of $50 to make sure he won, with about 2 minutes left in the auction. Then you come along and crush his dreams of a $26.11 Schmidt auto. Nothing really sinister in that bidding pattern.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
smapdi said:
It could be that the underbidder saw that his $25 bid was just under the then-current winner, so he rebid for $27.50 20 seconds later. Then after thinking a little while (13 min), decided to bump his max bid to $35. Then 20 minutes later he put in his final bid of $50 to make sure he won, with about 2 minutes left in the auction. Then you come along and crush his dreams of a $26.11 Schmidt auto. Nothing really sinister in that bidding pattern.

Not even the part where he crushed that poor dude's dreams? :cry:

:lol:

G

smapdi said:
I've done that before, but didn't end up getting sniped at the end

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Thanks everyone, the 90% bids all with the same seller is really what caught my attention. How can you have 178 feedback and 90% of your bids are all with the same seller... maybe this person doesn't buy much so the numbers are skewed? Regardless... this is the only way I'll ever complete this set. I've been looking for one of these IP or TTM autographed versions and have even researched Mike Schmidt signings on the internet. I'm going to pay, crack that sucker open, and not look back :)

Now I need to find a Puckett to match and I'm done!

Tom

Members online

Latest posts