Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Possible new set project. 2009 O-Pee-Chee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
I am at an impasse with my collection right now.
My player collections are pretty mature with not a lot of new items for me to obtain.
My other big set, 2002 Donruss Originals, is almost 10 years old and the remaining cards are getting tougher to find.
I am not a prospector so anything Bowman doesn't appeal to me.
What does appeal to me is the size of the set and the look.
Saying that, I am intrigued by the 2009 Upper Deck O-Pee-Chee set. The overall look of the cards takes me back to my childhood and from a very basic standpoint, I like the card stock.
I have 4 unopened Hobby Boxes @ home waiting to be broken. In reviewing the checklist, there doesn't appear to be any serial #'d cards.
There are some tough parallels, i.e., black mini, mini and blank backs, that are SP's.
My question is, How much was this product broken? It doesn't appear to be readily available on the secondary market.
It looks fun and like the Originals set, takes me back to my youth.

Thoughts?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I opened a lot of OPC, and still haven't finished the set. Kept getting a lot of doubles and triples of base, and never hitting the same handful of base cards that I really needed to finish. The black minis are hard to find, and I've never pulled or seen one of the blank backs in person. My guess is that low interest keeps this stuff from being more available; one shop in my area still has the same unopened boxes and packs that they did in 2009 (they won't discount it so it will sit there forever).

I have an appalling amount of base extras if you need some help with the set.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Was it ever confirmed the blankbacks were a real parallel, or just blankbacks that happen sometimes? I've found 1 Sizemore subset card, have never seen a regular blank card. I suspect just a couple sheets snuck through.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
black border blank backs are definately the toughest parallel. If I remember, they're 1 per case while the black border minis are 1 per box. I have a few and the only 2 Uptons I've ever seen. Obviously it's not a popular set so they can still be found cheaply. You probably won't do well if you open your boxes and are hoping for any chance of making 1/2 your money back. If you want to go after the set then go for it, but personally I wouldn't. From my perspective, I think there are more interesting sets to pursue. Perhaps something vintage? :D

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I don't recall it being very popular at release, so I can't imagine a lot of it was broken.
Pretty sure I've seen blasters of it still floating around.

There are a lot of nice looking sets from the 2000s if you are looking for something else to do.

2005 Finest/refractors
2008 Finest/refractors
early Tribute base sets
Turkey Red

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I busted a blaster box not to long ago. I don't have any use for them. If any of you want them for your set just send me a list of what you need.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
chashawk said:
...Pretty sure I've seen blasters of it still floating around...

All the Walmarts and KMarts in my area have OPC blasters for $11.99. I've grabbed a few, trying to complete my sets, and maybe find one of those elusive trio GU cards, but no dice. The first blaster I bought back in 2009 had an awesome David Ortiz/Fielder/Delgado, which was huge since UD made a big deal about making the GU cards hard to get in OPC.

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
Keith - how much did you pay for your boxes? I have been eyeing a box at my local LCS for $39 (he has had it for $54 on sale for $39 for a while) but I haven't been able to determine if that is a good price.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Dave-

One just sold on eBay for $13.50.
I bought one for $25 and three for $51 total or $17 per box.

oiccup41 said:
Keith - how much did you pay for your boxes? I have been eyeing a box at my local LCS for $39 (he has had it for $54 on sale for $39 for a while) but I haven't been able to determine if that is a good price.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
These are somewhat limited because Upper Deck agreed to stop using
the O Pee Chee name and printing was cut in half if not smaller.
I missed the Griffey blank back when it first came out and have not
seen another since. Big set and one per case equals a very very tough
card.. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts