Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I missing the boat? I don't get cards graded.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011
I spend $2,000+ per year on boxes/cases and I buy $5,000-$10,000 worth of collections/lots a year. Like most, I keep what I collect and sell the rest. I haven't sent a card in to be graded since my PSA membership expired 15 years ago.

Am I costing myself money by not sending cards in to be graded?

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
peterose4hof said:
I spend $2,000+ per year on boxes/cases and I buy $5,000-$10,000 worth of collections/lots a year. Like most, I keep what I collect and sell the rest. I haven't sent a card in to be graded since my PSA membership expired 15 years ago.

Vintage will maxamize profits by sending them off to be graded. At the very least it shows potential buyers that they are un altered. I personally buy both, and I like having cards graded purely from a visual and protection standpoint. I'm not really into the prospecting game, but from what I understand, BGS gem mints tend to bring a huge premium over raw.

Buck15_24

Jun 11, 2011
wolfmanalfredo said:
peterose4hof said:

Vintage will maxamize profits by sending them off to be graded. At the very least it shows potential buyers that they are un altered. I personally buy both, and I like having cards graded purely from a visual and protection standpoint. I'm not really into the prospecting game, but from what I understand, BGS gem mints tend to bring a huge premium over raw.

+1. I agree, well said.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I don't do much vintage buying, but most of my modern flipping has come as a result of grading.

Personally, I have had realized gains, after grading fees, supplies, and postage since January 1, 2011 of $2,442.12 on just over 75 sales on eBay, this site, and others. Of the 75 sales, 52 of them were graded cards, each of them bought in raw format and then graded by BGS. I have seen around 74% in profit from selling a BGS 9.5 / 10 card over what the same card would sell for raw.

Members online

Latest posts