Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Mazeroski's Wall" pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
this past Wednesday I went to the Forbes Field wall in Oakland and took some pics. I have been here many times in the past but for some reason I never took my camera with me.

if you don't know when Forbes Field was demolished in 1972 the left-center and centerfield wall and flagpole were left intact. the Pirates preserved the wall in 2006 in preparation for the MLB All-Star Game. the left field portion of the wall that Mazeroski's World Series winning Home Run cleared in 1960 was removed and placed in the Allegheny Club in Three Rivers Stadium and in 2009 the Pirates placed the left field wall on the Riverwalk at PNC Park where it is still on display.

every year on October 13th people gather at the "Mazeroski Wall" and listen to the radio broadcast of Game 7 of the 1960 World Series.

ForbesField.jpg

ForbesField1.jpg

ForbesField2.jpg

ForbesField3.jpg

ForbesField4.jpg

ForbesField5.jpg

ForbesField9.jpg

in 2006 the Pirates built this replica entrance and ticket window next to the wall for the 2006 MLB ASG Celebration...

ForbesField8.jpg

there is a marker in the sidewalk were the left field wall was removed...

283125435_be73b89b09_b.jpg

if you noticed in the first pic the remains of Forbes Field are now part of the University of Pittsburgh's campus.

the home plate is actually located in the floor of Posvar Hall...

forbes93.jpg

Pitt's Cathedral of Learning is also in this same area which now is a big city park...

CatherdralOfLearning.jpg

this pic was taken during the 1960 World Series from atop the Cathedral of Learning...

cheering650.jpg

there is also a baseball field next to the wall...

ForbesField6.jpg

ForbesField7.jpg

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
Awesome write-up, and thanks for sharing.

One of my closest friends (quite a few years older than me) was a HUGE Pittsburgh sports fan and died from cancer a few years ago. I more or less "inherited" his collection. I ended up selling everything and giving a large portion of the proceeds to his wife. The only thing that I kept from his entire collection was the famous photo (autographed and framed) of Mazeroski getting ready to cross home plate. It's just such a cool pic. My friend had a ton of cool stuff in his collection, but that photo was his "prized possession". Not because of the monetary value, but because of SENTIMENTAL value. Unfortunately, sentimental value pretty much no longer matters to any card collectors, but I suppose that it occasionally still matters to memorabilia collectors.

So basically, it's nice to see a post that isn't related to some overhyped prospect who will never play a major league game, or how much money someone made on the sale of that overhyped prospect's cards. Instead, it's a simple reminder of why we love the game of baseball.

Here's a pretty cool write-up about that photo...
http://sullybaseball.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ki-50.html

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Now that video is available of that game do you think the group that meets there every October will show that instead?

Either way, pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
I never knew this...this should have been done to the old yankee stadiumm...im crying... :(

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
thanks everyone!!. I'm glad you guys liked the pics and the write-up.

ral72 I bet your friends collection was amazing. I had the pleasure to meet Maz back in 2007 at PirateFest and have him sign that photo for me. he was very nice and it was a great experience to meet him. he said he was happy to meet a young person that was so interested in an event that happened before they were born. being 35 I obviously wasn't alive in 1960 but I remember all the stories my grandfather told me about the World Series and how he was sitting outside Forbes Field on a curb with a few of his buddies listening to the game on the radio when Maz hit the home run. he said the city went crazy and they celebrated for days.

maz01142007.png

gt2590 that's an interesting thought. I will have to make it a point to go this year and see if they do show the video of the game.

mstng99tim thanks Tim and you really should go. the wall is a big part of Pittsburgh's history.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Yawn
Come on Dave post something of interest for us on the baseball boards. I mean really this happen back in 1960 and it was
removed over 30 years ago........Geez what people spend time on...... nonsense

I wonder if people can tell I'm kidding ;)

Latest posts