Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best for autographs...Bowman vs Razor vs Tristar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I've provided scans and my opinions for the best for TTM/IP autographs this year:
Bowman:
Light coloring, especially near the bottom, for the autograph to show up well. Facsimile autograph distracts for some, but it gives you a good comparison to the signature you received for others. Provides a good variety of subjects, but not as many of the top names as Razor and Tristar. Cards have major league logos.
Razor:
Most of the cards are light enough for the autograph to show up well. There is no facsimile autograph to distract from the autograph you receive. The photos are sharp and there are a lot of action shots. The players are in college uniforms or have affiliation air brushed out. They have almost all of the top players from last year's draft. The cards are almost in alphabetical order, which makes them easy to sort if stored alphabetically (I keep my players stored alphabetically until I'm ready to decide which to send, so I really liked that).
Tristar:
Most of the cards and the borders are dark, making it difficult for the autograph to show up. There is no facsimile autograph to distract from the autograph you receive. The photos have the players in their minor league uniforms, which helps show the team affiliation. They included many multi-player cards, especially of Yankees and Red Sox.

I will use the Bowman and Razor cards primarily, as the card are lighter in color and the autograph will show up better. I will store the players alphabetically together and chose the card I like the best for autograph purposes when I'm ready to send to any of the players. I will use the Tristar multi-player cards, though, just because I love multiple autographs on the cards.
Bowman did their usual job on their cards this year, but lost some ground by not having some of the top names. Tristar really dropped the ball, as they didn't have as many autographs per box and the cards really came out dark. Razor made a great entry into the market, though they could have put more base cards into their packs.
That's how I see it and would welcome other opinions.
DANNY
BowmanRazorTristar.jpg

Pops8

Sep 17, 2008
Bedford, PA
I'm not a big prospect sender - I'm still working through some TriStar cards from last year and the year before. But, from the three examples that you provided, my vote easily goes to the Razor cards.

I will go out of my way to avoid facsimile autographs. It's just a personal preference. The TriStar just look too dark. If the player signs with a black sharpie, the autograph can all but disappear into the background. Since we're talking prospects, the presence of a MLB logo doesn't mean much to me.

I vote Razor.

bc81758

Sep 1, 2008
you will having varying success/failures with each set TTM or IP because of:

1. What an agent tells his client he can or cant sign TTM/IP
2. What a card company tells their clients he can or cant sign TTM/IP

bc81758

Sep 1, 2008
I would be extremely interested in knowing if guys this S/T are not signing because of exclusive contracts (i.e. Razor)

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
bc81758 said:
I would be extremely interested in knowing if guys this S/T are not signing because of exclusive contracts (i.e. Razor)

We'll probably get a better idea once the minor league season starts and more TTM and IP attempts are made.
DANNY

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
I would say Razor. It has a simple design, so I think it brings the auto out better. Please, Please do not pick bowman.....I think it looks terrible with a fake auto, and then with a real auto. yuck

Members online

Latest posts