Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will auctions this weekend be affected by the hurricane?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
I was wondering, i have about ten auctions ending on sunday night. Do you think the hurricane is a positive or a negative for auctions?

Eamon

Jun 16, 2010
I was thinking the same thing. Here is the way I see it. If there are major power outages MAYBE a couple will be affected. Most people do have ebay on their phones though.

ALSO...

If not many people lose power the storm may actually help you. If everyone is sitting at home online you may have mega bidders.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
Negative for one simple reason because people have more important things to deal with right now

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
snipes are set, only missing out if your listing a card for someone who does something great in the next day.

Also, you're only talking potentially 60 million people affected vs a population of 6 billion. Percentage wise, I dont think it will matter unless its a local team.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Eamon said:
I was thinking the same thing. Here is the way I see it. If there are major power outages MAYBE a couple will be affected. Most people do have ebay on their phones though.

ALSO...

If not many people lose power the storm may actually help you. If everyone is sitting at home online you may have mega bidders.

However, if they don't have power, that means that unless they have a good charge on their car battery (and their car is intact) that they would most likely use it to contact emergency personal, family members, possible insurance, possible hotels...

Also, they will use whatever funds available for essentials.

So I highly doubt that most people on the east coast affected by the storm will worry about a silly chrome card or too until after all of the other stuff is taken care off..

I will also bet that shipping in all sorts of ways will be affected for a while.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
309 auctions ending Sunday night for me. Probably lose some money but I don't want to relist later. As for the hurricane people the last thing on there mind will be winning sports cards on eBay.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
On the day of the tornadoes here in Alabama, April 27th, the last thing on my mind was sports cards and/or Ebay. And due to the widespread destruction in my own backyard, and lack of power, I didn't think about Ebay for many days after that.

I would say that the hurricane will affect Ebay sales. There is a very big population of card collectors on the East Coast. If millions are without power, then likely millions are without Ebay as well. Even if they have it on their phones, cell towers can easily get knocked out by high winds as well-- it happened here with the tornadoes.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
If you turn on CNBC, every 30 minutes they were talking about how to profit off the 'disaster play'.

Buy stock in Hormel because of Spam
Buy Coke & Pepsi because they have significant bottled water brands
Buy Home Depot, and Serv Pro for the restoration effort.

I'm not even kidding. People are always looking for an edge.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
BIN/BO is the way to go.

But, if your auctions involve west cost or midwest players, you should be fine.

With that said, if I have power tomorrow (knock on wood), I'll be glad to be winning some auctions at killer-low prices! :)

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
I removed most of the higher end stuff i had up. Not taking a chance of getting half of what I would have got on a regular sunday.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
I'm on Cape Cod and have about 25 items tomorrow night(All BIN/BO items). What would suck is if we lose power here and anyone buys something, I won't be able to process any orders until power is back on.

Not to mention ********* buyers that have won stuff in the past day from people in NC and the rest of the coast that are going to be crying cause they don't get their stuff within a few days.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
I decided to end mine just in case. Over a million are without power right now and I could soon become one of those people as well. If power is out for a while or things dramatically slow down with mail services for a while, it could affect my standing with eBay and that's the last thing I need to deal with right now.

Members online

Latest posts