Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collection sell off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I'm considering moving my Eddie Murray player collection. I don't want to but I also don't want to carry debt any longer.

Seen similar topics on here through the years, I know piecing it out might be better but... one large sale might be best considering how busy work is for me.

Have you heard of people jumping in on large/advanced player collections like this? In the past I've bought 4-5 Will Clark collections... so it can't be all that odd.

Would love to hear your thoughts and reactions. Thanks all!

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Definitely doable, but you'll probably have to take a hit because the buyer will more than likely be buying it to piece-out.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
And make sure this is something you can live with. Cuz if you decide down the road you want to collect Murray again, you'll be kicking yourself for letting them go in the first place...

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
theplasticman said:
I'm considering moving my Eddie Murray player collection. I don't want to but I also don't want to carry debt any longer.

Seen similar topics on here through the years, I know piecing it out might be better but... one large sale might be best considering how busy work is for me.

Have you heard of people jumping in on large/advanced player collections like this? In the past I've bought 4-5 Will Clark collections... so it can't be all that odd.

Would love to hear your thoughts and reactions. Thanks all!

OT: I have a 2005 Leaf Bucky Jacobsen auto you can have if your interested. Just PM me your address.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
You should first contact other Murray player collectors and move the high-end items. Then I would look into breaking up his cards by teams (Orioles, Mets, Indians) and selling them to appropriate team collectors. You will likely get a better return selling to collectors rather than moving them as a single lot to someone who is looking to profit. When I sold my Rivera collection, I was able to sell all base/inserts/numbered cards to a single Yankee team collector at a certain % of HBV.

I would move the GU as a lot to a local dealer for a flat amount such as $5/card. The patches and autos I would sell individually either on forums or on eBay. It shouldn't be too difficult moving HOF autos. I did the same thing for my Rivera collection and was able to maximize my return and move most everything off eBay and ended up listing just 5-10 items out of 600 cards (less than 1%).

Another option is shipping everything to COMC. May take a bit of time to price everything, and it will be a while before you are rid of everything but at least you won't have to ship out individual cards.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I sold my Landon Powell collection (including 15 autos) and got $20 for everything :lol: :lol: :lol:

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Jastermereel said:
Definitely doable, but you'll probably have to take a hit because the buyer will more than likely be buying it to piece-out.

Right. I'm trying to decide if the loss of some potential $ is worth the trade off in time saved.

Musial Collector said:
Quick Money = 1 Large Lot
Highest Return = Piece it out

Your call

Wrestling with this one quite a bit. If time wasn't so big of an issue for me, the answer is obvious.

Resident Bay Fan said:
[quote="Musial Collector":1w8zit5v]Quick Money = 1 Large Lot
Highest Return = Piece it out

Your call

This. And if you do, you might get in touch with boomo. I moved alot of my Piazza collection to him.[/quote:1w8zit5v]

Does Boomo collect Murray? I wasn't aware he did or not... thanks for the heads up!

ASTROBURN said:
And make sure this is something you can live with. Cuz if you decide down the road you want to collect Murray again, you'll be kicking yourself for letting them go in the first place...

I don't like the idea that I am considering it but... being debt free seems a reasonable trade off. I like to collect and could always collect something else. Keep in mind, I have some rather ambitious player collections... Will Clark, Eddie Murray, Darin Erstad and Bucky Jacobsen. Pretty far along for each. I may be stuck with the Erstad's :lol: so that may be the main one I keep up with.

I've been considering it for a while now and I'm pretty certain that whatever I decide will make me happy.

Best case scenario would be to come along with a serious financial windfall :lol: Then that makes everything much easier.

Lifelongfan said:
I know of one big buyer whos name starts with a "W" who collects Murray.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. I've had an idea of floating the entire lot out there on Ebay with hopes of getting some of the other Murray collectors attention. We used to clash all the time on Ebay for premium Murray cards.

bear0555 said:
To me, carrying debt wouldn't be an option.

Right. It's not debt because of "cards"... some business stuff that's slower in coming back in.

nevermore said:
You should first contact other Murray player collectors and move the high-end items. Then I would look into breaking up his cards by teams (Orioles, Mets, Indians) and selling them to appropriate team collectors. You will likely get a better return selling to collectors rather than moving them as a single lot to someone who is looking to profit. When I sold my Rivera collection, I was able to sell all base/inserts/numbered cards to a single Yankee team collector at a certain % of HBV.

I would move the GU as a lot to a local dealer for a flat amount such as $5/card. The patches and autos I would sell individually either on forums or on eBay. It shouldn't be too difficult moving HOF autos. I did the same thing for my Rivera collection and was able to maximize my return and move most everything off eBay and ended up listing just 5-10 items out of 600 cards (less than 1%).

Another option is shipping everything to COMC. May take a bit of time to price everything, and it will be a while before you are rid of everything but at least you won't have to ship out individual cards.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Great suggestions, thank you. Ideally, I'd get a nice offer on the entire lot to another Murray collector. Otherwise, what you've suggested seems like the plan I'd be taking.

Ty Hope said:
I sold my Landon Powell collection (including 15 autos) and got $20 for everything :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha, NICE! Cha ching!

Thanks everyone! Any others with thoughts, opinions, suggestions...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Sad to possibly see one of your guys go but perfectly understandable. Good luck with whichever decision you make!

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
When I sold off my Latrell Sprewell collection, I took 4 or 5 cards that I knew would garner attention from fellow sprewell collectors and put them on ebay.

I then put a subtitle of "Selling entire collection, over 800 different cards". I received 3 emails from those collectors with want lists.

In my opinion, easiest and quickest way.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
When I sold off my Latrell Sprewell collection, I took 4 or 5 cards that I knew would garner attention from fellow sprewell collectors and put them on ebay.

I then put a subtitle of "Selling entire collection, over 800 different cards". I received 3 emails from those collectors with want lists.

superb idea.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
markakis8 said:
tonsofcommons said:

superb idea.

Agreed. Thanks for the idea!

Cancellierecards

Sep 9, 2011
Il
Breaking it up will take more time but get you more $. If a collector is looking for only one Murray card and sees that it's in a lot with a ton other theyll stay away. If they see it's alone in a listing they'll pay a premium. I tried to sell my Nelson Rodriguez cards as a lot and no luck. Broke it up and I've sold most already

Members online

Latest posts