Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mail: 9 Auto Card BGS/JSA Slabs - Ginters and HOF'ers-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Today I got my 9 card submission back from BGS/JSA. 

I know it's in the eye of the beholder but there is something about slabbed cards that just makes the display that much more attractive. 

I used my landlords scanner since many fellow collectors comment on my hairy hands and my thumbs that keep getting in the picture. 

9 total submissions. All were signed IP or through paid signings. 

The 93 SP Jeter was deemed "Altered" which is very strange because I obtained the card back in 95 or 96 from a LCS And this way before graded cards became as big as they are now. 

Also Can someone tell me why the Mays Auto got an 8 ???  There is no streaking or bleeding or fading.

ginters2.jpg

slabbs.jpg

04af587c.jpg

Mays Closeup - why did the auto get an 8??

0765c74a.jpg

90efd402.jpg

If the signature goes off the edge of the card they ding the grade.

10 - A beautiful, boldly signed autograph that appears nearly perfect to the naked eye. Under normal viewing, it looks like an aesthetically- pleasing autograph.

9 - This is a signature that is also very pleasing, but has slight imperfections that barely detract from the autograph. Very light bubbling or micro scratching is allowable, but no yellowing, fading, or smearing. Positioning should be nearly perfect - with just the very tips of a letter or two cut off or hidden.

8 - At this level, some flaws begin to stand out slightly. Signature is still solid and pleasing, but might be somewhat bubbled throughout, or have areas of minor scuffing/scratching that detracts from the aesthetic beauty of the signature. Only lightly visible yellowing or fading or smearing is allowed. A cut signature may only have 10% of the signature hidden (or missing, when referring to a sticker autograph). Only a very small tip of the signature may run off or bleed onto the edge.

7 - Flaws are evident, including heavy bubbling throughout, noticeable scratching, minor but noticeable yellowing or fading, small but obvious portions of smeared ink. Up to 20% of a cut autograph may be hidden, or 20% of a sticker auto may be missing. A portion of the signature may run off the card or may bleed onto the edge.

AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
If the signature goes off the edge of the card they ding the grade.

10 - A beautiful, boldly signed autograph that appears nearly perfect to the naked eye. Under normal viewing, it looks like an aesthetically- pleasing autograph.

9 - This is a signature that is also very pleasing, but has slight imperfections that barely detract from the autograph. Very light bubbling or micro scratching is allowable, but no yellowing, fading, or smearing. Positioning should be nearly perfect - with just the very tips of a letter or two cut off or hidden.

8 - At this level, some flaws begin to stand out slightly. Signature is still solid and pleasing, but might be somewhat bubbled throughout, or have areas of minor scuffing/scratching that detracts from the aesthetic beauty of the signature. Only lightly visible yellowing or fading or smearing is allowed. A cut signature may only have 10% of the signature hidden (or missing, when referring to a sticker autograph). Only a very small tip of the signature may run off or bleed onto the edge.

7 - Flaws are evident, including heavy bubbling throughout, noticeable scratching, minor but noticeable yellowing or fading, small but obvious portions of smeared ink. Up to 20% of a cut autograph may be hidden, or 20% of a sticker auto may be missing. A portion of the signature may run off the card or may bleed onto the edge.

Ahhh gotcha. Thanks bud. Definately makes sense.

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
Yeah, is part of the "W" off the card?

Amazing that the Jeter is altered, but the Arods look completely different.

Mets/Jets

Sep 11, 2011
Wow. Nice autos. I like that Ichiro. Maybe the Jeter got an (altered) grade because it was cut or was touched up with a marker? Love that Mays card too!

shepsspot said:
Yeah, is part of the "W" off the card?

Amazing that the Jeter is altered, but the Arods look completely different.

The Arod with the short sig has a similar graph that I seen on Topps
Sticker autos. They were signed on consecutive days in Tampa
This past season when Arod was rehabbing.
Obtained by one of my good friends who lives there.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Sweet autos.

Question for you. What do they require along with the card to authenticate it? Pictures? Receipt from paid signing? .... I have some stuff I would like to send in, but I don't know if I have enough "proof" to authenicate the sig.

jdk16

Mar 29, 2011
Crewfan82 said:
Sweet autos.

Question for you. What do they require along with the card to authenticate it? Pictures? Receipt from paid signing? .... I have some stuff I would like to send in, but I don't know if I have enough "proof" to authenicate the sig.

you dont need proof thats what they do for you authenticate it. they compare with known signatures and determine if yours is authentic

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
jdk16 said:
Crewfan82 said:
Sweet autos.

you dont need proof thats what they do for you authenticate it. they compare with known signatures and determine if yours is authentic

What is the cost per card/item?

jdk16

Mar 29, 2011
Crewfan82 said:
jdk16 said:
Crewfan82 said:
Sweet autos.

not sure im sure its on there site

Crewfan82 said:
jdk16 said:
Crewfan82 said:
Sweet autos.

It was 30 each. PSA/DNA is 27.

I know it's high, but even though i know there legit, having them in the slab soothes my OCD.
And in the slim event i ever did want to sell, it would definately help me get top dollar.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I have a question - to authenticate and slab an autograph card through JSA/BGS would be $20 plus shipping / insurance, but to have the autograph graded, would I have to add an additional $30 to the $20 authentic / slab fee or is it just a flat $30?

If I wanted to authenticate / slab / have the autograph and card graded, would I have to add $60 to the original $20 fee?

Thanks

Lars said:
I have a question - to authenticate and slab an autograph card through JSA/BGS would be $20 plus shipping / insurance, but to have the autograph graded, would I have to add an additional $30 to the $20 authentic / slab fee or is it just a flat $30?

If I wanted to authenticate / slab / have the autograph and card graded, would I have to add $60 to the original $20 fee?

Thanks

To ONLY have the card encapsulated meaning to just have it be an authentic auto is 20$ +shipping+return insurance

To have it encapsulated + auto grade Is 30$+shipping+return insurance

To have it encapsulated + auto grade & card grade is ALSO 30+ shipping + return insurance
It is the same as just getting the auto graded. I wrote it out So there is no confusion.
It is an extra 10$ if the declared value of the card is 500$ or more.

The shipping options are slowest to fastest.
BUT I was told by customer service that with the process of auto card slabbing that the turnaround time is not guaranteed by BGS.

This is for 1-20 cards which I always fall under And never more then 10 cause it's expensive
You can opt for :
ground 13$
Express saver 17$
2 day 22$
Priority overnight 42$

Here was my order
9 cards - encap & auto grade - 270. (9x30$)
Insurance 14$
Shipping - 42$ - I could have used the ground for 13$ so my bill could have been 28$ lower
Total - 326$
So it could have been 298$ If I went with slower Shipping

I also had a 30$ voucher that I used so
My bill was 296$ instead of 326$

I used the fast shipping cause I thought it
Would speed my order up.

It didn't pay to do it because the process is long regardless.
You must submit the cards to JSA first
Then after JSA authenticates them they send them to BGS in Texas.

I submitted My cards to JSA while they were at a local card store
On October 9th. BGS got done slabbing them on November 9th And I got them today on the 10th because of the 42$ overnight fee. I also paid the 42$ and i usually use the 22$ service so i know my package is being shipped with extra priority. I feel this helps with safety as i know it may sound dumb but i feel IMO paying the extra money for fast shipping reduces the chances of your package getting lost. Considering you do have insurance but I don't want the money, I want MY cards . The BS time of getting the hardest top tier guys to sign your cards require time And money And worrying that your card comes out the way you want it. So I will pay the extra money to make sure my box is handled with top notch importance assuring me that it gets back to me with no BS along the way. I read about too many lost packages on here because of people not paying the money for top notch shipping.But I was told there is no guaranteed turn around time regarding the slabbing time , NOT the shipping time. It will take 2 days if you pay 22$ for the 2 day service but that means 2 days to get back to you from the day they get done being slabbed. There is no guaranteed timetable of how long it takes to get the cards slabbed And I confused this with the shipping times.
Dont go by shipping fees and relate that to how fast it takes to receive your cards back.
I have used The JSA/BGS system 2x now And overall it takes about a month from when you submit to when you get back. It takes long like I said because it has to go through JSA in NJ then flown to Texas And then back to you rather then the normal BGS process that it just taking place in Texas. Sorry for the long read but I figured this would clarify any questions.
Yes it's not for everyone and it's pricey but it's hard to deny how nice cards signed in blue look
Slabbed with the blue authentication tag.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for the long response - love seeing your stuff.

Big Mac McGwire said:
Lars said:

Thanks

To ONLY have the card encapsulated meaning to just have it be an authentic auto is 20$ +shipping+return insurance

To have it encapsulated + auto grade Is 30$+shipping+return insurance

To have it encapsulated + auto grade & card grade is ALSO 30+ shipping + return insurance
It is the same as just getting the auto graded. I wrote it out So there is no confusion.
It is an extra 10$ if the declared value of the card is 500$ or more.

The shipping options are slowest to fastest.
BUT I was told by customer service that with the process of auto card slabbing that the turnaround time is not guaranteed by BGS.

This is for 1-20 cards which I always fall under And never more then 10 cause it's expensive
You can opt for :
ground 13$
Express saver 17$
2 day 22$
Priority overnight 42$

Here was my order
9 cards - encap & auto grade - 270. (9x30$)
Insurance 14$
Shipping - 42$ - I could have used the ground for 13$ so my bill could have been 28$ lower
Total - 326$
So it could have been 298$ If I went with slower Shipping

I also had a 30$ voucher that I used so
My bill was 296$ instead of 326$

I used the fast shipping cause I thought it
Would speed my order up.

It didn't pay to do it because the process is long regardless.
You must submit the cards to JSA first
Then after JSA authenticates them they send them to BGS in Texas.

I submitted My cards to JSA while they were at a local card store
On October 9th. BGS got done slabbing them on November 9th And I got them today on the 10th because of the 42$ overnight fee. I also paid the 42$ and i usually use the 22$ service so i know my package is being shipped with extra priority. I feel this helps with safety as i know it may sound dumb but i feel IMO paying the extra money for fast shipping reduces the chances of your package getting lost. Considering you do have insurance but I don't want the money, I want MY cards . The BS time of getting the hardest top tier guys to sign your cards require time And money And worrying that your card comes out the way you want it. So I will pay the extra money to make sure my box is handled with top notch importance assuring me that it gets back to me with no BS along the way. I read about too many lost packages on here because of people not paying the money for top notch shipping.But I was told there is no guaranteed turn around time regarding the slabbing time , NOT the shipping time. It will take 2 days if you pay 22$ for the 2 day service but that means 2 days to get back to you from the day they get done being slabbed. There is no guaranteed timetable of how long it takes to get the cards slabbed And I confused this with the shipping times.
Dont go by shipping fees and relate that to how fast it takes to receive your cards back.
I have used The JSA/BGS system 2x now And overall it takes about a month from when you submit to when you get back. It takes long like I said because it has to go through JSA in NJ then flown to Texas And then back to you rather then the normal BGS process that it just taking place in Texas. Sorry for the long read but I figured this would clarify any questions.
Yes it's not for everyone and it's pricey but it's hard to deny how nice cards signed in blue look
Slabbed with the blue authentication tag.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Mets/Jets said:
Wow. Nice autos. I like that Ichiro. Maybe the Jeter got an (altered) grade because it was cut or was touched up with a marker? Love that Mays card too!

I'm still missing something. How can an autograph be deemed "Authentic Altered" and still get a grade of 10? To use another grading analogy, wouldn't that be like trimming a card and having it come back with gem edges?

Awesome sub BTW!

Members online