Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dont know how much longer I can keep using eBay (Update)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GioCollector1089

Aug 7, 2008
Clifton, New Jersey
Updates in Bold

A couple weeks ago when BCDP came out, I sold a Starling redemption and couple of other cards to a buyer that refused to pay for the items. In multiple messages he asked me to , "please cancel this auction." In one of the messages, he claimed to not have the funds to pay for his purchases. Now for over two weeks, I have tracked his feedback and have seen that he has been multiple cards a day since winning my auctions. I just got fed up and opened up a claim against him. This was his response...

"ok...i will pay..dont want the cards as I got other for cheaper...will pay now...wont get positve feedback though"

It it just getting harder and harder to deal with idiots on eBay and I don't know how much longer I can put up with this. I'm prepared to take my first negative here simply out of principle. However, I think I may be protected with the feedback extortion policy if he decides to leave a neg, although I'm not really sure.

The guy paid and I shipped out next day using DC on 12/10. The cards were delivered 2 days later on 12/12 according to the tracking. Fast forward to yesterday and I get the following emails from the buyer.

"cards not received...please advise or communicate...no redemption or card...."

After seeing this, I forwarded him the tracking number and explained that it was delivered to his PO Box and that he should check with his Post Office. This was the response I got.

"You can check my eBay sales, I didn't resell the cards... I will give you my signin for Topps redemptions... Or have you call Topps... I didn't get the cards...so you can refund my money or suffer a negative feedback"

This guy is just a tool. Not sure what else to say. I just told him to go ahead and open up a claim against me. I don't think he will though. Pretty sure he'll just neg me, but I'm not giving in to him.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Re: I don't know how much longer I can continue to use eBay

If he drops an n-bomb on you just forward that email to eBay and hopefully they'll remove it.

I know what you mean though. But it isn't just specific to eBay, it's people in general

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008

I'm sick of dealing with the same thing. Ill take a negative just to stand my ground. My hardest one was a guy who had 3 positive feedback, won a card and refused to pay. I won the NPB strike against him but he is still allowed on ebay.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

People are idiots. When you bid or place an offer, you are agreeing to pay that amount for the item if you win. It's not an option, it's a binding contract. You break that contract, you should be removed from eBay, plain and simple. It's completely unacceptable.

GioCollector1089

Aug 7, 2008
Clifton, New Jersey

He just paid so I responded "Thank you for your purchases, your cards should arrive in a couple days." We shall see what happens.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

The only way to remedy this is to cut your losses and not attempt to "force" people to pay. He clearly wasn't going to pay, so you should just give-in to his wishes and cancel the transaction to save yourself the headache. Does it suck, sure. Is it worth trying to force someone to do something they have no intention of doing, nope.

GioCollector1089

Aug 7, 2008
Clifton, New Jersey

sportscardtheory said:
The only way to remedy this is to cut your losses and not attempt to "force" people to pay. He clearly wasn't going to pay, so you should just give-in to his wishes and cancel the transaction to save yourself the headache. Does it suck, sure. Is it worth trying to force someone to do something they have no intention of doing, nope.

Why should I have given in? He voluntarily entered into a binding contract with me. He even went ahead and asked me for a revised invoice with updated shipping totals. Of course he wanted me to cancel a day later, but that's not the point. I'm not expecting things to go smoothly from here, but at this point, I'm thinking doing what is right is more important than positive feedback.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

GioCollector1089 said:
sportscardtheory said:

Why should I have given in? He voluntarily entered into a binding contract with me. He even went ahead and asked me for a revised invoice with updated shipping totals. Of course he wanted me to cancel a day later, but that's not the point. I'm not expecting things to go smoothly from here, but at this point, I'm thinking doing what is right is more important than positive feedback.

What are you complaining about then? Take your negative out of principle and that's that.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

There are two ways to sell on eBay. You can sell knowing full-well that all sales are NOT final, or you can try to implement your own set of standards and risk getting abused by buyers who know full-well that they are in control. I use the "customer is always right" mantra and I do okay with it.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

GioCollector1089 said:
sportscardtheory said:

I'm with you. You did the good think even though it gives you a headache and a possible neg. We shouldn't lower to their standards, that's why in part the world is tanking. There's no denounce, people allows the abuse.

Good job and hope everything goes well.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010

GioCollector1089 said:
sportscardtheory said:

Dude, the post above yours is such a joke. Your response to it is refreshing. You didnt or wernt forcing him to pay, he should be paying the balance because its what is right. You were simply asking for the item to be paid and then he pulls that nonsense and threatens you? Wow, dude. Dont even worry sir, if he pays and negs you, you email ebay and explain the situation and they will remove the negative from your record. You did absolutely nothing wrong. What a joke.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

glewis22 said:
GioCollector1089 said:
sportscardtheory said:

Dude, the post above yours is such a joke. Your response to it is refreshing. You didnt or wernt forcing him to pay, he should be paying the balance because its what is right. You were simply asking for the item to be paid and then he pulls that nonsense and threatens you? Wow, dude. Dont even worry sir, if he pays and negs you, you email ebay and explain the situation and they will remove the negative from your record. You did absolutely nothing wrong. What a joke.

I'm just being practical and looking at it from a business perspective. It's okay that you don't understand that and use emotion to guide your eBay practices. Everyone is different. eBay is not the best venue for emotional sellers.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN

I agree with the OP. I'd stand my ground based on principle. Buyers shouldn't be allowed to get away with this crap and I HATE the way eBay has become. Keep that email & GL.

BTW, I'd appreciate it if you could post the buyer's ID (or pm it to me). Thanks.

sportscardtheory said:
I'm just being practical and looking at it from a business perspective. It's okay that you don't understand it and use emotion to run your eBay practices. Everyone is different. eBay is not the best venue for emotional sellers.

Can you ever make a point without attacking or belittling anyone who disagrees with you?

There's a big difference between having a backbone and 'being emotional'. If a buyer doesn't pay, a NPB should be filed (esp since the buyer had the nerve to state they didn't want it simply due to finding some cheaper). Maybe this will teach the buyer to think twice next time before committing to purchase an item. If every seller let buyers walk all over them, can you imagine how much worse eBay would be?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

cartersprings said:
I agree with the OP. I'd stand my ground based on principle. Buyers shouldn't be allowed to get away with this crap and I HATE the way eBay has become. Keep that email & GL.

BTW, I'd appreciate it if you could post the buyer's ID (or pm it to me). Thanks.

sportscardtheory said:
I'm just being practical and looking at it from a business perspective. It's okay that you don't understand it and use emotion to run your eBay practices. Everyone is different. eBay is not the best venue for emotional sellers.

Can you ever make a point without attacking or belittling anyone who disagrees with you?

There's a big difference between having a backbone and 'being emotional'. If a buyer doesn't pay, a NPB should be filed (esp since the buyer had the nerve to state they didn't want it simply due to finding some cheaper). Maybe this will teach the buyer to think twice next time before committing to purchase an item. If every seller let buyers walk all over them, can you imagine how much worse eBay would be?

He called my opinion a "joke", so yeah, I came at him a little. Sue me. Talk about needing a backbone.

About this situation, when you sell something on eBay you enter a BUSINESS transaction. The principles you speak of are meant for people who don't know how to run a BUSINESS. eBay is no longer a garage sale on the internet, so if you can't treat it like a BUSINESS, then stay away from it. It's really that simple. I don't let any buyer "walk all over" me, but if they decide they don't want to pay or can't pay, who am I to put up a stink about it. It's a BUSINESS transaction and not all BUSINESS transactions work out in the favor of the seller 100% of the time. You ever bought something and returned it? Yes, you have. As a seller, if you simply want to end the transaction before paying, you are saving me a LOT of hassle. As a BUSINESSMAN making sales on eBay, I don't let my emotions guide my practices. "Wah wah wah, he said he was going to pay me, boo hoo hoo!!!" isn't good business sense.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

It's not as though I'm saying it's right or okay to not pay for what you won on eBay. Of course it's a crappy situation to be in as a seller. My only point is that if you want to do business transactions, you have to understand that they won't always work out in your favor and it's sometimes better to suck it up than to let your "principles" get your account screwed-up by someone who takes offense to how you handled yourself.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN

I'd say eBay is far from a typical business transaction. A buyer not paying for something will often cause the seller to lose money if he/she then sells it to someone else. This isn't comparable to going to Wal-Mart and purchasing an item. If you return the product, it goes back on the shelf and the next shopper will pay the same price.

Also, I wouldn't consider a frivolous negative feedback rating messing up an account.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

cartersprings said:
I'd say eBay is far from a typical business transaction. A buyer not paying for something will often cause the seller to lose money if he/she then sells it to someone else. This isn't comparable to going to Wal-Mart and purchasing an item. If you return the product, it goes back on the shelf and the next shopper will pay the same price.

Also, I wouldn't consider a frivolous negative feedback rating messing up an account.

Well, as per eBay's rules (that you agree to when you create an account), buyers have the right to return things. The fact that people can return things makes it unreasonable to expect payment 100% of the time. This is why I would rather just cancel the transaction if the buyer contacts me and asks or file an Unpaid Item Resolution if I don't hear from them, and not worry about it. As a seller, it's out of your hands. As a businessman, I will do what it takes to keep my account intact and keep my buyers satisfied whether they pay or not.

I would think that someone leaving a negative will be leaving low DSRs as well. Those are NOT "frivolous".

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN

cartersprings said:

The negative feedback in and of itself may not, but the low DSR's that generally come with it can very quickly have a big effect on your overall account standing. It only takes a few transactions like that, regardless of out of principle or whatever other reason, for that to come into play.

I completely agree that it is not "right," but Ebay has their own set of rules and the way that they are geared is all towards favoring the buyer. In turn, in order to succeed as a seller, you also need to follow that.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN

I can fully understand where you are coming from about it being in your best interest to bend over for the buyers. Not everyone is in the same boat. Selling on eBay is not a business for me, rather a hobby. If eBay were to restrict my account it would have very little affect on me. The shame should fall on the buyer for being a ****** and eBay for having these asinine policies, not the seller. I don't have a problem with your point but with the way you handle yourself. Belittling the OP because he chose to file a NPB strike for a :GASP: NPB? Come on man.

BTW, theory, you can step off your 'businessman' high horse. The fact that you equate selling on eBay to being a businessman then bring to question my adeptness at running a business based on my 'principles' is quite comical. You can save your lectures on business strategy. I'd venture to guess there are many on this board who are more qualified 'real-world' businessmen, myself included.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

cartersprings said:
I can fully understand where you are coming from about it being in your best interest to bend over for the buyers. Not everyone is in the same boat. Selling on eBay is not a business for me, rather a hobby. If eBay were to restrict my account it would have very little affect on me. The shame should fall on the buyer for being a ****** and eBay for having these asinine policies, not the seller. I don't have a problem with your point but with the way you handle yourself. Belittling the OP because he chose to file a NPB strike for a :GASP: NPB? Come on man.

BTW, theory, you step off your 'businessman' high horse. The fact that you equate selling on eBay to being a businessman then bring to question my adeptness at running a business based on my 'principles' is quite comical. You can save your lectures on business strategy. I'd venture to guess there are many on this board who are more qualified 'real-world' businessmen, myself included.

I'm not sure why you are so upset about anything I said. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. Big deal. I'M on a high horse? Nice post. lol

Members online

Latest posts