Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BP's Top 11 Pirates Prospect List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Previous Rankings: 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008

System in 20 Words or Less: The team continues to add high-ceiling pitching talent, but they’re still lacking in depth.

Five-Star Prospects
1. Gerrit Cole, RHP
2. Jameson Taillon, RHP
3. Luis Heredia, RHP
4. Josh Bell, OF
Four-Star Prospects
5. Starling Marte, OF
6. Robbie Grossman, OF
Three-Star Prospects
7. Stetson Allie, RHP
8. Kyle McPherson, RHP
9. Colton Cain, LHP
Two-Star Prospects
10. Tony Sanchez, C
11. Bryan Morris, RHP

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15692

Nine More:
12. Jeff Locke, LHP: This southpaw has good command of an average three-pitch mix. He could fit the fourth- or fifth-starter profile.
13. Clay Holmes, RHP: This right-hander has a classic power-pitcher frame and the chance to move up this list as he develops.
14. Nick Kingham, RHP: Kingham has a big body and fills up the strike zone, but reviews of his raw stuff aren't as impressive as his numbers.
15. Rudy Owens, LHP: Owens’ lack of velocity caught up to him at Triple-A. He will need to make adjustments.
16. Zack Von Rosenberg, RHP: Scouts still see promise in his frame and arm strength, but his growth has been slow.
17. Alen Hanson, 2B: This young infielder has speed and an idea at the plate.
18. Justin Wilson, LHP: His ceiling is as a fifth starter starter, but he's ready now.
19. Gorkys Hernandez, OF: His speed and outstanding glove should at least make him a bench outfielder.
20. Gustavo Nunez, SS: This Rule 5 pick has speed and defensive chops, but will he hit?

1. Gerrit Cole, RHP
DOB: 9/8/90
Height/Weight: 6-4/220
Bats/Throws: R/R
Drafted/Signed: First round, 2011, UCLA
2011 Stats: DNP
Tools Profile: He’s everything you look for in a college power pitcher.

Year in Review: The best college pitcher frustrated evaluators at times with his performance, but his pure stuff was too good to pass up with the first overall pick in the draft.
The Good: Cole's arsenal matches up with any young pitcher. His fastball sits in the mid- to upper-90s, and it consistently reached triple digits over the last year. He throws a plus-plus slider with heavy horizontal and vertical break. He also developed a changeup in college that flashes plus, and could be a consistent plus pitch with more use. His mechanics have also improved significantly from his high school days.
The Bad: One of the biggest debates in the scouting community is why Cole is not better than he has been on a production level; one scout called it “The $10 million question.” He certainly has more command than control, but that's not a full explanation. Others point to an arm that is more trackable than most, and the hope for a more aggressive approach on the mound. Others think he just needs innings to turn into an ace.
Ephemera: While he never hit for UCLA, Cole might have some value at the plate in the National League; he hit .310 with seven home runs during his senior year at Orange Lutheran High in California.
Perfect World Projection: He could be a true ace in the big leagues, but that's hardly a guarantee.
Fantasy Impact: It could be massive, and even if he doesn't live up to his potential, he'll at least get you strikeouts.
Path to the Big Leagues: Cole will likely begin his pro career in the Florida State League. Some scouts think he could be in the big leagues by September; others think it could take some time.
ETA: Mid-2013

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'd say it's a bit too optimistic (and premature) to label Heredia as a 5-star prospect and to rank him as high as they did.

They're also fairly generous to Allie. Let's see some semblance of command first before putting him in the top 10.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Keyser Soze said:
Am I the only one that would take Taillon over Cole?

Nope, I would as well. More potential, even though he's further from the show. And Cole's recent lack of command needs to be figured out.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Jaypers said:
I'd say it's a bit too optimistic (and premature) to label Heredia as a 5-star prospect and to rank him as high as they did.

They're also fairly generous to Allie. Let's see some semblance of command first before putting him in the top 10.

With Heredia, its all based on youth and arm strength.

Glad to see Grossman didn't get ignored. At the worse, he's a 4th outfielder.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jaypers said:
Keyser Soze said:
Am I the only one that would take Taillon over Cole?

Nope, I would as well. More potential, even though he's further from the show. And Cole's recent lack of command needs to be figured out.

I agree completely. Cole will be special if he does figure out the command issues, but Taillon has the chance to be a total beast if he meets his potential. I'll take Taillon without hesitation.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I wouldn't. I really think Cole is slightly underrated if you can believe that. Now that Moore and Strasburg have left I honestly see Cole as the best pitching prospect in baseball right now. Certainly more pro data would help.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
sheetskout said:
I wouldn't. I really think Cole is slightly underrated if you can believe that. Now that Moore and Strasburg have left I honestly see Cole as the best pitching prospect in baseball right now. Certainly more pro data would help.

I think I'd prefer Taillon, Teheran, and Bundy all more than Cole.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Dickerson has to show something first as his ceiling is not very high, for example Matt Hague has shown something and was left off this list.

I don't know why people are in arms about Coles control, I think he was fine in his limited AFL innings.

Heredia is very young, I don't think it is good to have him this high already.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
From all of the scouting reports that I have read, Taillon is the real deal. Cole is good, but the command thing seems to be coming up a lot. They can both be the top guy in that system, but I would personally take Taillion. He has a smoother motion than Cole imo.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
I'm in the Cole camp.

I believe that over the next three years, he's going to outperform Taillon by almost every significant pitching metric. If someone can come up with a way for this to be booked as a wager and would like to do so, I would be willing to put money on it.

Members online

Latest posts