Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1941 Play Ball variations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Maybe the print shop ran low on ink on a few Greenbergs (others too, possibly,) and they were released missing certain inks. The same thing happened to T206 cards, too. Take these two, for example (correct color first, variation second - neither are mine):

T6AbsteinRPSA6.gif T6AbsteinOPSA6.gif

Looks like it would make a nice addition to your Greenberg collection, Zan!

EDIT: I know there was a '41 PB "Paper" release, but I don't believe they had intentional color variations.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Jay,

First of all I can assure you it's not a 41' Play Ball paper version. It does look like the ink ran out or whatever like you said but the "Color Variation" on the slab makes is sound intentional. I haven't seen any others.....

Still stumped. :lol:

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
scotty21690 said:
Jay,

First of all I can assure you it's not a 41' Play Ball paper version. It does look like the ink ran out or whatever like you said but the "Color Variation" on the slab makes is sound intentional. I haven't seen any others.....

Still stumped. :lol:

Don't mean to piggyback on your response, but thats exactly what I was thinking as far as the "color variation" label goes.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
As for the "color variation" part of the label, SGC has a section on their submission forms that says "Variation or comments." I've seen T206's (such as the above mentioned) in SGC slabs with "missing ink" comments. I wonder if the original submitter added "color variation" to the comment category, and SGC slabbed it as such. I double checked my '07 SCD, and I couldn't find anything related to '41 PB color variations.

I'm looking forward to Zan's research.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
jay1065 said:
As for the "color variation" part of the label, SGC has a section on their submission forms that says "Variation or comments." I've seen T206's (such as the above mentioned) in SGC slabs with "missing ink" comments. I wonder if the original submitter added "color variation" to the comment category, and SGC slabbed it as such. I double checked my '07 SCD, and I couldn't find anything related to '41 PB color variations.

I'm looking forward to Zan's research.

Response from eBay seller:

Dear broth6,

i collect this set and currently have three sets i have never seen a color variation for any of the cards in this set i have seen many color variations for other sets/ cards but not this one. the color that is missing id the blue it should have a greenish background with blueish borders this one doesn't. this is all i know. but for sure it is one of the coolest cards i have owned and it is a shame that i have to sell it but tough times call for tough measures.

- thecardboardkings

Its all what you guys thought. I'm wondering why SGC decided to make this card special. Maybe because if they didn't the card would get an unfairly low grade.. At any rate, I also emailed the original auction site to see if I can get the contact info for the original seller.

zan

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Do you plan on going after it still? It would look great next to your '41.

As a side note, I read over my earlier posts. I hope I didn't come off sounding like the card wasn't a big deal. I'm a big fan of variations such as this one.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
jay1065 said:
Do you plan on going after it still? It would look great next to your '41.

As a side note, I read over my earlier posts. I hope I didn't come off sounding like the card wasn't a big deal. I'm a big fan of variations such as this one.
We will see.. If it stays under $30ish, I'll give it a chance. But other than that, I can't offer that kind of money at this time. :(

zan

Members online

Latest posts