Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors Quality or Quantity?

Quality or Quantity

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
There is a fine balance with questions like this. A card from 2011 with a print run of 60 is nowhere near as hard to find as 5 inserts from the early 90's. (score 90's promos, aqueous test, 98 select, etc...)

I think they are equally important but to call yourself a player collector with maybe 5 1/1's, a few GU and few auto's is a bit of a stretch if you're guy has 500 cards and you only own 50. I would guess the guy who has 375/500 is more of a collector even though you have the rare stuff. Not everyone has unlimited funds.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
Depends on the card(s). Are they base? Parallels? Auto? GU? How does the design of the cards look? Are the autos sticker or on card? Do I have any already? How often do the cards show up for sale/auction? There are a lot more factors that go into account for me well ahead of just the print run of the card.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Fandruw25 said:
There is a fine balance with questions like this. A card from 2011 with a print run of 60 is nowhere near as hard to find as 5 inserts from the early 90's. (score 90's promos, aqueous test, 98 select, etc...)

I think they are equally important.

100%, it comes down to the card(s) in question.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I think I am going with quality, it is not an expensive card but I have only seen 2 pop up since the product came out. The others are all at the lowest prices I have seen them at BUT they are not limited really.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
PujolsCollector said:
I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I think I am going with quality, it is not an expensive card but I have only seen 2 pop up since the product came out. The others are all at the lowest prices I have seen them at BUT they are not limited really.

2 popage vs not limited/easy to find........low pop imho.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
George_Calfas said:
PujolsCollector said:

2 popage vs not limited/easy to find........low pop imho.
Yea I think I will go with the 1 card for now.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Fandruw25 said:

I think they are equally important but to call yourself a player collector with maybe 5 1/1's, a few GU and few auto's is a bit of a stretch if you're guy has 500 cards and you only own 50. I would guess the guy who has 375/500 is more of a collector even though you have the rare stuff. Not everyone has unlimited funds.
So what would be the Proper term for someone who Collects a certain Player but only collects his highend stuff? What if he could collect all the base and lower end memorbilia and or autos and does not want to? Only reason I ask is because I love to collect Yaz stuff but I have no interest in his Lower end Stuff or base card. Just for Reference I have way more than 5 1/1s and so on :lol:

As for the Question above I will always now go for Quality if at all possible.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
It depends on how I am feeling and how much money I have and what's available.

For my newly found Gaborik collection, I plan to do quality as best as possible. When I was constantly buying Glen Perkins, I picked up loads of quantity.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I can't choose both :D ! I mean, I am faced with this all the time. It depends on the cards, and it depends on how much money I have at the time. My thinking, however, is that I will get them all someday anyways... all about timing! If I am short on money, I am perfectly happy picking up quantity (esp. 80's + 90's). If I have a little extra money, I'll go for quality, knowing that I'll get the others at another time.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
wolfmanalfredo said:
The best short answer I can give is simply both
Yep, I have to sort of say both as well.

I have quantity and quality in my collection, but I don't just buy every card. Every Dawson card I own appeals to me in some way.

As to the OP's specific question, I'd go for the rarer card first, as the others will be available down the road.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
ThoseBackPages said:
Set a goal, stick with that goal. Focus is very very difficult.
My goal is to obtain 1 of every Descalso card made and as many 1/1s as possible. I need 24 more cards for 100% base completion.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Personally I go for quality, but will pick up cards that I like the look as well, even though it may not be expensive. I don't even try to pick up every card for my PC.

If Descalso gets to the point where there are 2000+ cards per year, year after year, then you typically have to limit yourself and/or be independently wealthy :D

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Gwynn545 said:
I can't choose both :D ! I mean, I am faced with this all the time. It depends on the cards, and it depends on how much money I have at the time. My thinking, however, is that I will get them all someday anyways... all about timing! If I am short on money, I am perfectly happy picking up quantity (esp. 80's + 90's). If I have a little extra money, I'll go for quality, knowing that I'll get the others at another time.
Thank You. I will take all 6!

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
If I dont have the card, I'll go for it. But I'm not rich. If I can get ten cards for $20 vs 1 card for $20, I go for ten cards. Because sometimes the cards that "book" for less than those 1/1's and other short prints are scarcer than those short prints. So to answer the question, i go for quantity. The quality cards will always be around for me to get once i win the lottery.

Members online

Latest posts