Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Josh Hamilton has alcohol relapse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm a Rangers fan and really like Hamilton, so I hope this doesn't give the Rangers an excuse not to re-sign him.
Hopefully it was something minor.

from ESPN:

By Richard Durrett
ESPNDallas.com

Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton, who has battled drug and alcohol addictions, had a relapse with alcohol on Tuesday, according to a source.

The Rangers said in a statement that they are "aware of a situation but have no further comment at this time."

The news was first reported by The Dallas Morning News earlier Thursday.

It's unclear exactly what happened, but Hamilton has attempted to stay sober since an incident in a Tempe, Ariz., bar a little more than three years ago.

Then, he was photographed drinking with several women and those pictures went viral about seven months later. Hamilton spoke to the media about it at that time and apologized, saying: "I hate that this happened."

When that occurred, Hamilton immediately called the Rangers and MLB. He passed a drug test shortly thereafter and went through league-sanctioned counseling. Hamilton also made sure his support system was fully in place, including having Johnny Narron, his "accountability partner" at the time, with him at spring training and through the rest of the season.

Right now, Hamilton and the Rangers are still in the process of finding a new "accountability partner" after Narron took the job as the Milwaukee Brewers hitting coach. Hamilton's father-in-law, Michael Dean Chadwick, was planning on taking over that role for Narron but didn't want to leave his teenage daughter as she gets closer to finishing high school.

The Rangers have expressed an interest in signing Hamilton to a long-term extension, though both sides agreed that if a deal wasn't in place by the time spring training starts later this month that they wouldn't talk during the season to avoid any kind of distraction.

The 2010 AL MVP has worked to avoid even the smell of alcohol, something his teammates have respected. They have even catered their postseason celebrations for him (and former teammate C.J. Wilson who also didn't want to be around alcohol) by having Ginger Ale and water showers before breaking out the champagne after winning a playoff series.

Hamilton said in Aug. 2009, when discussing his last relapse, that it was the first drink he'd had since Oct. 6, 2005, when he vowed to stay sober. Drugs and alcohol helped delay Hamilton's track to the big leagues and despite being the No. 1 overall draft pick in 1999 by the Tampa Bay Rays, he didn't make his major league debut until 2007 with the Cincinnati Reds.

The Rangers traded for Hamilton prior to the 2008 season, sending right-handed pitcher Edinson Volquez and left-handed pitcher Danny Ray Herrera to the Reds for the outfielder.

Richard Durrett covers the Rangers for ESPNDallas.com.

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
Sad addiction can be a bitch ask Amy Whinehouse. I know it is hard for him with being in the spotlight and what not. I hope he can stay off of all that crap. He has a lot of pressure then added the Ranger fan who fell to his demise last season he has had stuff happen but the past is the past and I wish him the best in life.
-subpop77

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
Sam Banks said:
Not the first time, won't be the last time. Not surprised. Don't care either.

I don't see why people are so fascinated by this guy.

my guess is you have never had a real addiction, try being a recovering alcoholic as well as someone who has a tendency to enjoy painkillers a little too much, then we can talk. oh, and i'm talking about me not josh

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Sam Banks said:

What will be fun is in a few years we will be reading on Twitter, or FB, or FCB, or whatever other social media site you frequent, about Sam Banks relapsing and some of us will be saying "Not the first time, won't be the last time. Not surprised. Don't care either."

Wes

OG
Administrator
People are fascinated, and should care, because he's an example to many of how you can beat addiction and alcoholism and thrive. I don't know him and have no reason to care one way or the other, but I think the world is better when there's a role model like that for people who are struggling to look to.

Sam Banks said:

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
Sam Banks said:

Wow, i've seen some ignorant comments over the years but this one is amazing

stay classy!

RCRX

Sep 4, 2009
Sam Banks said:

He's a hell of a ballplayer and foremost..hes a human being. Sucks for anyone to relapse and when it's someone who is in the spotlight it's news.

chadwright

Jun 25, 2011
Austin, TX
Sam Banks said:

He's a person who's open to the world about his life, struggles and faith. I find that fascinating.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Wes said:
People are fascinated, and should care, because he's an example to many of how you can beat addiction and alcoholism and thrive. I don't know him and have no reason to care one way or the other, but I think the world is better when there's a role model like that for people who are struggling to look to.

Sam Banks said:

Really? How's that working out? I'm sick to death of Josh Hamilton and the way so many people put him on a pedestal. You say he's a role model? How about a real role model to look up to like the thousands of men and women in the armed forces or the millions of good teachers, police officers and firefighters out there. I had the privilege of meeting a four year old recently suffering from brain cancer and you’ll excuse me if I can't drum up any sympathy for a multi-millionaire with a self-inflicted "disease."

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
Mozzie22 said:
Wes said:

Sam Banks said:

Really? How's that working out? I'm sick to death of Josh Hamilton and the way so many people put him on a pedestal. You say he's a role model? How about a real role model to look up to like the thousands of men and women in the armed forces or the millions of good teachers, police officers and firefighters out there. I had the privilege of meeting a four year old recently suffering from brain cancer and you’ll excuse me if I can't drum up any sympathy for a multi-millionaire with a self-inflicted "disease."

Possibly not self-inflicted. And there have documented people who have used him as an example to overcome their own struggles. And there are also non role models in the jobs you mentioned, just as there are role models in them and in baseball.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Mozzie22 said:
Wes said:

Sam Banks said:

Don't you understand man? It IS a disease, just like obesity...

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Josh Hamilton is a great example of why not to do drugs.

I guess that counts as a role model nowadays.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
ChasHawk said:
Mozzie22 said:
Wes said:

Sam Banks said:

Don't you understand man? It IS a disease, just like obesity...

:lol:

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Hope Josh is able to get the help and support he needs to return to sobriety and to stay on it. Addictions are *******, and I don't fault someone who slips and falls as long as they don't make it their new habit.

For those that want to dog him for it or to ridicule his fans for sticking by him, grow up.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Sucks he relapsed, but not really surprising. Addictions like those are going to be something he fights his entire life and he's going to slip up now and again. Especially while he remains an active professional baseball player. The temptations have to be amazingly hard when you're a pro athlete. Even if you try to stay away from it as hard as you can, obviously sometimes it doesn't work out.

Members online

Latest posts