Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Guess It's Up to Us to Vote in Puig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
What's up with ESPN and every other news outlet panhandling puig and trying to force him into the game?

Basically MLB and ESPN accused Toronto and Atlanta of collusion because they ran a joint campaign to get Freeman and whoever it is from Toronto in on the fan vote. If the news networks can shamelessly promote Puig then two teams can work together to get their boys in. There is no conspiracy.

The whole ESPN voting thing isn't much different than what they do with Mike and Mike - one Mike is told to argue one side and the other Mike the other side - but it seems that one Mike often doesn't really believe what he's arguing for.

ESPN realizes that argument is what brings people to listen to the show... simply because people enjoy listening to an argument and prefer to take sides... any side.

Right now, ESPN is arguing one side in order to incite outrage... which brings greater program ratings for them.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
No. Now can I get an answer to my question?

Sure, but you already know. There's no minimum. But IMO, the player should at least qualify for the batting title to get into the game or be very close to it....and I'm strictly talking about enough PA to qualify.

It's not like I dislike Puig. I'm just in favor of the players that have faced MLB play all year/almost the entire year getting to go the AS game. If Puig is the player everyone thinks he is, he'll see his time at the midsummer classic. It's not like getting him into this ONE game is going to bring millions of outsiders to baseball. He'll be young and a rising star next year as well. I just hate because the media says he should be in and has been highlighting his EVERY move, that we have to put him in the AS game, especially when his own teammate is putting up just as good, or in some cases, better numbers than him.

Hanley Ramirez is the hottest hitter in baseball right now - maybe besides Miguel Cabrera - and no one is talking about him but everyone is concerned about Puig getting into the AS game. Hanley has just as much reason for the Dodgers resurgence as Puig, if not more b/c of his position.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Puig hasn't worked as hard this season as some of the other guys - which definitely counts for a lot.

Who is to say Freeman or one of the other guys wouldn't have played much better... if they had only played a month? That extra rest comes in handy.

The game isn't a sprint, its a marathon. This doesn't mean the 'sprinters' shouldn't get rewarded, it just means Puig hasn't even completed a sprint yet.

If fans want to see him, put him in the HR derby because he isn't an AS so far this year.

Extra rest? So Puig didnt go to spring training or play in the minors?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Does anyone actually care about the all star game, or take it seriously? It is an exhibition game. And I dont care that they added HFA. HFA was arbitrary before they added it.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Bingo. It's a grandiose exhibition game that added HFA to artificially inject some relevance. A knee-jerk reaction in response to criticism Selig garnered after the 2002 ASG tie fiasco.

Exhibition game, non-exhibition game - whatever you want to label it - a marketing event is what it truly is. ATM, Puig is what's interesting to non-baseball junkies and should be included in the game to help promote MLB.
I still dont understand why it was so controversial to end the game in a tie. Who cares if it ends in a tie? And if you care, than why?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Less work there. Do you believe its harder/takes more energy to play in spring training and in the minors?

Well, Freeman and the rest all were in spring training and in the minors they play the same amount of games, they still workout when not on the field and they travel by bus, so I'm not really sure how that is less work.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Well, Freeman and the rest all were in spring training and in the minors they play the same amount of games, they still workout when not on the field and they travel by bus, so I'm not really sure how that is less work.

You're saying the minor and major leagues are the same and that its equally tough to play in the minor leagues as it is in MLB?

I'll admit that looking at too many Bowman cards could make people think that way LOL.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Sure, but you already know. There's no minimum. But IMO, the player should at least qualify for the batting title to get into the game or be very close to it....and I'm strictly talking about enough PA to qualify.

It's not like I dislike Puig. I'm just in favor of the players that have faced MLB play all year/almost the entire year getting to go the AS game. If Puig is the player everyone thinks he is, he'll see his time at the midsummer classic. It's not like getting him into this ONE game is going to bring millions of outsiders to baseball. He'll be young and a rising star next year as well. I just hate because the media says he should be in and has been highlighting his EVERY move, that we have to put him in the AS game, especially when his own teammate is putting up just as good, or in some cases, better numbers than him.

Hanley Ramirez is the hottest hitter in baseball right now - maybe besides Miguel Cabrera - and no one is talking about him but everyone is concerned about Puig getting into the AS game. Hanley has just as much reason for the Dodgers resurgence as Puig, if not more b/c of his position.

That's the real answer I wanted. I was being a little snide wording it as a rule question, but this is what I wanted to get at. The crux of my value argument is that Puig's performance (and stardom/marketing value) is good enough to supercede such a minimum. Surely there is a level of play that would supercede any games limit. Shoot, if a guy hit 30 home runs in 10 games, I'd sure as hell want him in the All Star Game.

In any case I wonder if our difference of opinion is based more on whether or not his performance warrants exception to your artificial (but also practical and not at all unreasonable) minimum PA requirement or if the minimum is a hard and fast rule that allows for no exception.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
You're saying the minor and major leagues are the same and that its equally tough to play in the minor leagues as it is in MLB?

I'll admit that looking at too many Bowman cards could make people think that way LOL.
Having spent 2 seasons with a minor league team I would say that yes, physically, playing minor league baseball is as demanding as playing in the majors, some cases more demanding.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Having spent 2 seasons with a minor league team I would say that yes, physically, playing minor league baseball is as demanding as playing in the majors, some cases more demanding.

Non-sequitur anyone?

How many games are in a typical minor league team schedule again?

Are you saying the minor leagues are as tough or tougher place to play than the MLB?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Non-sequitur anyone?

How many games are in a typical minor league team schedule again?

Are you saying the minor leagues are as tough or tougher place to play than the MLB?
You said that somehow Puig had more rest because he only played 30 games and that rest would have helped Freeman and the others. Puig was playing in the minors, not resting. The physical toll in the minors is every bit the same as the physical toll of playing in the majors. They play every day. I don't really understand how you think it isn't.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
You said that somehow Puig had more rest because he only played 30 games and that rest would have helped Freeman and the others. Puig was playing in the minors, not resting. The physical toll in the minors is every bit the same as the physical toll of playing in the majors. They play every day. I don't really understand how you think it isn't.

Its straight forward - Freeman was playing against better players and teams in a superior league. You're saying playing in an inferior league against inferior players would be as demanding as playing against superior players in a superior league. This doesn't add up.

Any way one looks at, its always tougher playing on the highest level of competition than the level below it. In Puig's case he played in AA - not one but two levels below Freeman.

EDIT: It makes sense that an established MLB player is going to pace himself differently than a MiLB player just called up as he's (presumably) learned how to adjust.

Last edited:

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Its straight forward - Freeman was playing against better players and teams in a superior league. You're saying playing in an inferior league against inferior players would be as demanding as playing against superior players in a superior league. This doesn't add up.

Any way one looks at, its always tougher playing on the highest level of competition than the level below it. In Puig's case he played in AA - not one but two levels below Freeman.

EDIT: It makes sense that an established MLB player is going to pace himself differently than a MiLB player just called up as he's (presumably) learned how to adjust.
That is nonsense. It isn't physically tougher to play everyday in the big leagues as it is to play everyday in the minors. They are still playing everyday. It doesn't take more effort to play in the majors just bc the competition is better.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
While some will take this as a personal knock/shot, it truly isn't meant that way. The OP and others who have posted would obviously want Puig in the All-Star Game. They are all about prospects. I am not saying that as a bad thing, but that's what they are mainly into. Just like if a Reds player were a finalist, most deserving or not, I would support them. That's my team.

In the end, I couldn't care less about the All-Star Game. It doesn't mean XXXX. If fans didn't get to pick who played, maybe I would put more stock into it. I know that it means something to some players and I understand that. Honestly, it says something positive about players who are multi-time All-Stars, but I don't think it says anything negative about a player who is not. Not being popular (or basically pimped by ESPN and other such worthless outlets) doesn't mean a player isn't good/great.

Fans select the 9 starters from each league, then 18 spots are picked by the players ballot meaning managers, coaches, & players vote for 18 spots. Then the all star manager fills the last 7 spots & has to make sure there is 1 player from each team.

Wes

OG
Administrator
That is nonsense. It isn't physically tougher to play everyday in the big leagues as it is to play everyday in the minors. They are still playing everyday. It doesn't take more effort to play in the majors just bc the competition is better.

Agreed. If anything it's harder as they're traveling by bus and staying in crappy hotels.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Agreed. If anything it's harder as they're traveling by bus and staying in crappy hotels.
Yes sir. They also don't eat as well and have inferior facilties for things like injury treatment and rehab.

Dmscards

Apr 2, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't see the Big deal with Freddie Freeman he doesn't seem to be that great! Off the top of my head I can think of Adrian Gonzalez who I believe is 4th in the voting as a similarly qualified player

Freeman. Gonzalez
HR 9. HR 14
RBI 56 RBI 57
BA .305. BA .300
Fielding% .990 Fielding % .989
OPS .848. OPS .829