Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Angels send Bourjos to St. Louis for David Freese.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Salas "should" help a bullpen that had issues last year. I am surprised how many media folk are overlooking his importance to the trade.
Bullpen guys are almost always overlooked. Salas will be a welcome addition to the team who had the 4th worst bullpen ERA in baseball last season.

Sad to see Freese go, I hope he's treated well in his hometown well into his 90s, he should always hold a special place in Cardinal Nation. I think Jay is headed out of town as well. Craig is not going anywhere, he's virtually untouchable. Based on last year he has a below market value contract that is very team friendly for years to come, it would take a king's ransom to pry him away I would think. The thing I like about this deal is that they traded nothing of value pitching wise, Salas was up and down with his effectiveness.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Sad to see Freese go, I hope he's treated well in his hometown well into his 90s, he should always hold a special place in Cardinal Nation. I think Jay is headed out of town as well. Craig is not going anywhere, he's virtually untouchable. Based on last year he has a below market value contract that is very team friendly for years to come, it would take a king's ransom to pry him away I would think. The thing I like about this deal is that they traded nothing of value pitching wise, Salas was up and down with his effectiveness.

Salas was fine until tony la russa pulled him from the closer job, and fried his brain.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Good trade I think Bourjos will hit the NL well. Grichuck is a underrated prospect IMO. He was projected high and failed to take off right away. With the change of scenery all guys involved should do well. Freese should rake with Pujols/Hamilton ahead of him.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I also think either J Jay or S Robinson will be traded as well. Mozeliak is not done yet. I really DO NOT
want Peralta. If we do overpay I would rather get one of the Rangers SS's.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Furcal for 1 year.

Low risk. High reward. And low cost, with no players being traded away.
Uhh...do you mean low risk low reward? He's 36, hasn't played pro ball in over a year (played in 130+ games once since 08') and is recovering from TJ surgery. At this stage in his career he is below average defensively and average at best offensively. He's a fine 1 year stopgap, but hardly a potential 'high reward' player. More suited for a utility role being able to play 2B and SS.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Uhh...do you mean low risk low reward? He's 36, hasn't played pro ball in over a year (played in 130+ games once since 08') and is recovering from TJ surgery. At this stage in his career he is below average defensively and average at best offensively. He's a fine 1 year stopgap, but hardly a potential 'high reward' player. More suited for a utility role being able to play 2B and SS.

High reward at a low cost.

If he's healthy, he's looking to prove himself. And if he has a full healthy season, I believe he will put up good numbers.

Stopgap yes. I'm not thrilled with the trade possibilities/scenarios this off season, long term. I don't want the team to do something just to do something, and regret it later.

Trading for Tulo like many fans are clamoring for would be ridiculous. Unless Colorado ate a LOT of his contract. That isn't even a real possibility. Furcal is good for the club right now.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
High reward at a low cost.

If he's healthy, he's looking to prove himself. And if he has a full healthy season, I believe he will put up good numbers.

Stopgap yes. I'm not thrilled with the trade possibilities/scenarios this off season, long term. I don't want the team to do something just to do something, and regret it later.

Trading for Tulo like many fans are clamoring for would be ridiculous. Unless Colorado ate a LOT of his contract. That isn't even a real possibility. Furcal is good for the club right now.
Well Furcal would play much better defense over someone like Peralta, and he's cheap to sign so I'll give you that....the healthy part is a big 'if'. His recent injury history shows that he might not be able to be relied on in a full-time role.

I'm just hoping the Cardinals sign Stephen Drew so the Red Sox get their draft pick, lol.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Well Furcal would play much better defense over someone like Peralta, and he's cheap to sign so I'll give you that....the healthy part is a big 'if'. His recent injury history shows that he might not be able to be relied on in a full-time role.

I'm just hoping the Cardinals sign Stephen Drew so the Red Sox get their draft pick, lol.

If not, we make a deal by the deadline. I'd rather be in that situation than being strapped with someone like Drew for a few years.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Angel fan here, and not happy to see Bourjos leaving. I think getting away from scioscia will be better for bourjos than it was for napoli(which was pretty good).

Yes, peter had some injuries, but he also couldn't win. He was handle, much like napoli or brandon wood. Being a young player with a crappy mgr, that has you walking around
on egg shells and afraid to make a mistake, is no wake to make it in the mlb. If healthy, I could see peter being a top 3 leadoff guy in the nl. I could also see him putting up numbers
like these. IN a 500 ab season 275+ 12+ 100 runs 60+ rbi 20-30 sb. Thats a pretty damn good player, but his confidence was shot in la, much like we saw happen to brandon wood.
Look at his partial first year, those were pretty good stats and he should be better going forward, scioscia just set him back a bit. Now he is in a better org, with a much better coach.
Im sad, but at the same time very happy for peter and hope he can stay healthy and show arte moreno what we had and hopefully get scisocia the hell out of OC.

When napoli was asked why he was better after leaving LA, he said. "baseball was fun again"
he said washington told him to just go out and play ball like he has his whole life and he did, and
was a few bad pitches away from being a WS mvp.

Last edited:

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I would rather keep Kozma if it were between him and Drew. Trade for Hardy if its not too costly or just stand pat.
The dollars that SS's are getting this year are just not worth it.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I would rather keep Kozma if it were between him and Drew. Trade for Hardy if its not too costly or just stand pat.
The dollars that SS's are getting this year are just not worth it.

Totally agree. Why overspend on an unknown quantity like drew's health history? He was almost as bad as Koz in the playoffs on offense. If this team won 97 games with Kozma in the field, I'll take my chances with him. Love his glove. There's always the chance for him to improve at the plate. I mean he can't really get much worse...

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
Totally agree. Why overspend on an unknown quantity like drew's health history? He was almost as bad as Koz in the playoffs on offense. If this team won 97 games with Kozma in the field, I'll take my chances with him. Love his glove. There's always the chance for him to improve at the plate. I mean he can't really get much worse...

I agree in both counts lol

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Oh man we are screwed Cards are close to a done deal with Peralta. The contract is expected to be massive.
This could either be Mo's biggest hat out of his ass or the worst free agent deal in Cardinals history.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Salas was fine until tony la russa pulled him from the closer job, and fried his brain.

Yeah, letting Motte throw smoke by batters throughout the playoffs and World Series that year was a huge blunder LaRussa made.If Salas isn't more mentally tougher than that he shouldn't be closing anyway.

Members online

Latest posts