Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you feel about Leaf Trinity patch cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
The Ire towards these is bizzare. You do realize that 98% of what Topps/Panini insert into football products featuring rookies is event worn right?

SP Authentic, Exquisite, Treasures, Five Star, Strata, Certified, Limited........all of those patches have been further away from a football game than any of us.

I don't get the ire....at least these aren't being passed off as something they aren't. Topps/Panini would do anything to get you to believe that their event worn football stuff is the real deal.

What BG is doing is "Art"....he is making the card more visually desirable for the collector. The "Art" has links to the player...it is of their MLB team and they supposedly wore it. Does it make it more valuable? Sure. How much more? In my opinon....not much, but there is some value there. I think the design is blah, but the patches look nice....as they should.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
These have to be some of the ugliest cards I've seen in a while. Absolutely hate the use of these player / event worn jersey patches - how do they add any value to the card ??

Quality control is another issue here - How is it they can get Taveras to sign some cards (Inscriptions)
View attachment 27538

But not his patch cards ??
View attachment 27539View attachment 27540

And for those wonderful Inscription cards numbered to 10
View attachment 27541View attachment 27542View attachment 27543View attachment 27544

Anyone from Leaf explain to these players that they needed to add an inscription & why didn't they pull these cards from distribution before some dishonest person adds something to them.

Sorry but from a company that wants to be a major player in the card industry this just screams FAIL FAIL FAIL !!!!

I will have to admit those bottom 4 are terrible.

I am a Leaf supporter, I buy Leaf products, and am happy to back many of the things BG is trying to do.

BUT, the event worn stuff just sucks, and just because Panini/Topps/UD does I, doesn't mean Leaf should follow suit. Leaf has been the company to buck the trends that are BAD for the hobby, sadly they decided to follow suit and go down this path.

BG, no one said your product couldn't or wouldn't sell over cost. I think we all wish you would have addressed the question/issue, rather than tell us what the price will be in a week. That response is something I would have expected from Topps or Panini, not you.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I will have to admit those bottom 4 are terrible.

I am a Leaf supporter, I buy Leaf products, and am happy to back many of the things BG is trying to do.

BUT, the event worn stuff just sucks, and just because Panini/Topps/UD does I, doesn't mean Leaf should follow suit. Leaf has been the company to buck the trends that are BAD for the hobby, sadly they decided to follow suit and go down this path.

BG, no one said your product couldn't or wouldn't sell over cost. I think we all wish you would have addressed the question/issue, rather than tell us what the price will be in a week. That response is something I would have expected from Topps or Panini, not you.

If you don't like it don't buy it. I think Trinity is a success minus a few small details (The messed up inscription autos, some sigs being printed on Taveras namely.) These patch cards look nicer than any other prospect card.

Would I rather have an incredibly awesome Patch/Auto that is low numbered or a Bowman chrome auto? I'll take the Patch/Auto thank you very much.

Everyone is complaining but this product is clearly selling well so he must've done something right. Who really cares if they are event worn. Topps does that crap all the time.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Prospect auto patches are not common at all in topps products.

I've mentioned it sparsely in the past that every sport has auto rc patches except baseball.

Well here they are.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
attachment.php
attachment.php

States "Event-Worn" on the back of the card. Give me a second and I'll add a scan of the back. added

It's not the same. These were created and worn for an official MLB event. They weren't just jerseys tossed together so that they could be cut up.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
attachment.php
attachment.php

States "Event-Worn" on the back of the card. Give me a second and I'll add a scan of the back. added

Those are game issued authentic Jerseys worn at maybe the public signing, maybe an appearance during all star weekend or maybe for workouts. The leaf ones are replicas maybe even china knock offs that are strictly for these cards. Whats next team logo tshirts from the gift shop?

I know football does this (do they use replicas?) and I feel the same but I dont collect football nor are we talking about that crap.

Last edited:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1387854974.870302.jpg

These were always pretty atrocious and never looked like the authentic nameplates but nobody seemed to throw a fuss about them.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
View attachment 27575

These were always pretty atrocious and never looked like the authentic nameplates but nobody seemed to throw a fuss about them.

I remember a huge stink over manufactured patch cards. A HUGE stink. Not sure how you missed it as I remember it was an uproar on all the boards. So maybe that was not the best example.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Funny, I would say a buxton /20 selling for 175.00 indicates they do like them

Brian, I wouldn't say people don't like them. I absolutely grabbed with both hands, a lot of football stuff this year. Even thought they were "event" worn. Because they looked really cool. Strata, Paninni Playbook, Topps Finest...all had some insane looking stuff for sure. I even enjoyed your Trinity product for Football. But I'm not paying big prices for any of those cards, nor will I. Why would I? It's not game used. I think it adds some eye appeal but to be honest, it IS REALLY WEIRD. Try telling a non-collector about this type of stuff. It's bad enough telling them about real game used stuff. At least some people understand it. Try telling them "Oh...no, the player wore this for as long as it took to put on and pull off and toss in a pile.". What's next? Stamped on autos instead of real autos?(Don't anybody get any ideas!).

So while that Buxton may have sold high, I think that's more to do with the player than the product itself. But I'll give you this...SP Authentic rookie patch autos have been some of the monster cards to have for football. So I can't say from a product or business aspect you did wrong or did anything truly crazy. And we all know there is a major lack of this type of product in baseball. But I would truly, as do many others, like to see all manufactures move away from this type of product. Imagine how hot something like SP Authentic would be if they waited until the end of the football year to release real rookie game used patch autos? Those cards might actually double in price and the wax would move like hotcakes.

I realize due to licensing issues, it would be awful hard for you to release anything with logos. But nothing would stop you from obtaining all of these autos, and then buying up GU stuff once there is GU stuff to be had in their rookie year. Then you go from doing something everyone else is doing to doing something truly unique.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I remember a huge stink over manufactured patch cards. A HUGE stink. Not sure how you missed it as I remember it was an uproar on all the boards. So maybe that was not the best example.

There was a lot of XXXXXing about it and it's also why some of these cards are damn near worthless.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

I believe these were 2007 issues. Feel free to check my join date. I came here in 2009 when magicpapa told me about this place after selling him a 1/1 Griffey Sweetspot auto...another brand that has used non MLB issued materials. So no, I didn't hear the stink and now you're educated on why I didn't.

UD also continued to make them up until their demise. People regularly collect the letters to spell out their last name, kids names, etc.

They're not for me. I don't like them at all but to say that they weren't well received is probably a mistake.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
There was a lot of XXXXXing about it and it's also why some of these cards are damn near worthless.

Recent sales:

Harper 250
Jeter 250
Jeter 250
Jeter 220
Jeter 202
Jeter 202
Jeter 190
Jeter 190
Jeter 178
Jeter 168
Griffey 150
Lincecum 120

Somebody is paying for the high end guys.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I believe these were 2007 issues. Feel free to check my join date. I came here in 2009 when magicpapa told me about this place after selling him a 1/1 Griffey Sweetspot auto...another brand that has used non MLB issued materials. So no, I didn't hear the stink and now you're educated on why I didn't.

UD also continued to make them up until their demise. People regularly collect the letters to spell out their last name, kids names, etc.

They're not for me. I don't like them at all but to say that they weren't well received is probably a mistake.

They were not well received and being you where not a member here you missed it it makes sense. A day would not pass by where we we wouldn't get a topic saying "Hey are these letterman game used? Which was followed by tears). Saying hey upper deck used them until their demise is a great point, for me. They had many terrible ideas.

And its great people use the fake lettermans to spell names, thats just another reason why these fake patches are less collectible. Do you see people collecting parts of a fake patch to put on their walls like they did to spell a name? I dont.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Lol no.

NYC I think we're very close on this issue. I was just pointing out that fake stuff HAS been used before. Someone else said hasn't.
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1387896974.931067.jpg

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Lol no.

NYC I think we're very close on this issue. I was just pointing out that fake stuff HAS been used before. Someone else said hasn't.
View attachment 27584

So you think manufactured patches and crappy leather baseballs is the same as "player worn" jerseys?

I'm sure that Upper deck could have sewed hundreds of letters to a t-shirt and had the player put it on and called it player worn., but they didn't. Oh crap, I'm probably giving leaf ideas.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
So you think manufactured patches and crappy leather baseballs is the same as "player worn" jerseys?

I'm sure that Upper deck could have sewed hundreds of letters to a t-shirt and had the player put it on and called it player worn., but they didn't. Oh crap, I'm probably giving leaf ideas.

Which is better?

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I just think it's weird to get all spun up about whether or not some dude wore the item in the first place. It's a piece of fabric.....that some guy wore.....

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I actually think these look pretty sweet, and I don't mind event-worn. Some people THINK too much. If you (any random person) collected a whole set of game-used patches (with this particular design) and lined them up on a table next to each other, you'd think it's a gorgeous set! All of a sudden someone tells you they are event-used and not GU and suddenly they don't look so good. It's a mental thing for many collectors, not a physical quality of the cards. Enjoy them for what they are...they're still every bit as pretty as they would be if they were actual GU.

Members online

Latest posts