Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you feel about Leaf Trinity patch cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Here is a very simple way to handle them; buy them if you like them, don't if you don't. Pretty simple really. If you want to buy them, then don't add any premium to your buy price due to the jersey, or if you think it enhances them, pay whatever you want. I wouldn't pay anything more for them because of the swatch, and feel that it was wasted $ on BG's part, but hey, if someone wants to pay more for it, be my guest. I think the cards look awful with or without the swatch, but that's my opinion.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
I just don't get all the hate. Reading this thread it seems like a lot of people have something personally against leaf...its odd.

i also have never understood people's fascination with technicalities of the game used items on cards, either. I think they look cool--and that is reason enough to collect them--the actual game worn or even worn or whatever is a distant second why I would buy them.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Recent sales:

Harper 250
Jeter 250
Jeter 250
Jeter 220
Jeter 202
Jeter 202
Jeter 190
Jeter 190
Jeter 178
Jeter 168
Griffey 150
Lincecum 120

Somebody is paying for the high end guys.

For the auto more than anything I'll bet. Look at the names you just named. If these were really GU, how much do you think they'd fetch?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
If you don't like it don't buy it. I think Trinity is a success minus a few small details (The messed up inscription autos, some sigs being printed on Taveras namely.) These patch cards look nicer than any other prospect card.

Would I rather have an incredibly awesome Patch/Auto that is low numbered or a Bowman chrome auto? I'll take the Patch/Auto thank you very much.

Everyone is complaining but this product is clearly selling well so he must've done something right. Who really cares if they are event worn. Topps does that crap all the time.

You ask who cares? With an attitude like that, apparently he could start heavily using redemptions he'd never fulfill and by your standards, it's all good because topps does it.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I like the look of the cards but that's just me wanting something cheap over something that is of any sort of quality.

When I see anything Leaf, there is just something making me stay away.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I just don't get all the hate. Reading this thread it seems like a lot of people have something personally against leaf...its odd.

i also have never understood people's fascination with technicalities of the game used items on cards, either. I think they look cool--and that is reason enough to collect them--the actual game worn or even worn or whatever is a distant second why I would buy them.

Apples to oranges and all but the player worn/player used issue would be like someone selling facsimile autographs and try to sell them to the public as authentic hand signed autographs - would you want a collection of facsimile autographs compared to someone collecting autographs that are actually hand signed by the athlete?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I actually think these look pretty sweet, and I don't mind event-worn. Some people THINK too much. If you (any random person) collected a whole set of game-used patches (with this particular design) and lined them up on a table next to each other, you'd think it's a gorgeous set! All of a sudden someone tells you they are event-used and not GU and suddenly they don't look so good. It's a mental thing for many collectors, not a physical quality of the cards. Enjoy them for what they are...they're still every bit as pretty as they would be if they were actual GU.

Honestly, the whole point of a card with a piece of anything in it like this was originally about having GU pieces in it. It's sort of making a mockery out of it. Much like a stamped on auto would do to cards that used to really be autographed. My question...why do it at all? You'd say they are a company and want to sell product to make money. I'd counter with the idea that they could also create a product with the real deal, and still make money. Maybe more. And they'd have plenty of people itching for more. The company would also gain some clout from producing something that far exceeds the competition.

So remind me why thinking too much is a bad thing. Baseball cards have evolved to this point because companies had to give us something really worth having to ensure the survival of the hobby and to ensure we'd actually pay for it. So we are already a thoughtful bunch. The hobby can't get much more innovative as it is. Let's not backtrack with the ideas then. It will not help.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

So anything with the teams colors will do for you? Cut up tee shirts, jackets, whatever? A doesn't have to have any significance like being game used right?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Did I say anything like that? No I didn't. Thanks for putting words in my mouth predator!

Your words were quite clear and the idea is the same. Doing anything just because someone else does it does not make it a good idea. Which is why instead of just griping about it, I'm actually trying to provide a better idea.

I thought Brian wanted to seperate himself from the competition.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Oh he certainly does that, just not in the positive ways he thinks...

And with that, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and holiday season to all those that don't celebrate it!

Your words were quite clear and the idea is the same. Doing anything just because someone else does it does not make it a good idea. Which is why instead of just griping about it, I'm actually trying to provide a better idea.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school

You are making assumptions. Not reading what is clearly written. We are talking about trinity patch cards not redemptions bud. Its not the same idea. I never said its "good because Topps does it." I said the cards look nice with these insane patches. I would much rather have them than the Bowman Chrome Autos that everyone strives for.

I said "who cares if they are event worn?" I buy cards based on aesthetic value not because one little piece of bland jersey may or may not have been GU.

Clearly you have a problem with the product. Do I care if you don't like it? No. I care when you put words in my mouth which is what you did.

Wanna talk about redemptions? Then make a thread about it and we can discuss it there.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school

Its pretty clear. So many people have personal vendettas about Leaf for no apparent reason than just to run their mouths. It really gets old and sad and makes the people who do it look pathetic.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
You are making assumptions. Not reading what is clearly written. We are talking about trinity patch cards not redemptions bud. Its not the same idea. I never said its "good because Topps does it." I said the cards look nice with these insane patches. I would much rather have them than the Bowman Chrome Autos that everyone strives for.

I said "who cares if they are event worn?" I buy cards based on aesthetic value not because one little piece of bland jersey may or may not have been GU.

Clearly you have a problem with the product. Do I care if you don't like it? No. I care when you put words in my mouth which is what you did.

Wanna talk about redemptions? Then make a thread about it and we can discuss it there.

Your words, in case you forgot...which I'm pretty sure you did...were who cares, topps does it all the time. So....is there any particular way to interpret that statement said by you other than it's ok because topps does it? It can be hard to figure out the tone or the intent from a message board.

So, I replied that if they did do something and people felt it was ok because other companies do it, then they could also do things that other companies do that are far worse(redemptions) and the same line of thinking must rationally apply. Or are we picking and choosing what it's ok to emulate and what's not? Apparently you not only fooled me, but quite a few others as well.

As for the product, I have no problem with it. I won't bust any. I might buy a single or two at most. I purchased a lot of his football stuff though. So no, I'm not a leaf hater. I know that's where you're trying to go now. And no, you didn't single me out. I'm just coming out and throwing that out there so the debate doesn't even have to arise.

See, the point is, some of us like Brian and want to help him by pointing out the mistakes other companies have made. It gives us the ability to guide a manufacturer towards a product we as collectors want. I see what you say about who cares. Well I do. And so do a lot of others. But you're either new to these boards or haven't been paying attention. Because not everyone is out to sabotage Brian or Leaf.

Last edited:

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Event worn is lame whether its Topps, Panini, Leaf, etc... To be honest though, even game used sucks these days. It was cool like 10 years ago. lol

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Event worn is lame whether its Topps, Panini, Leaf, etc... To be honest though, even game used sucks these days. It was cool like 10 years ago. lol

I agree but to use non-game used is a giant step backwards for all companies. Not forwards. Like I said, I'm not sure where the hobby can go from here but stepping backwards cannot be the answer.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
For the auto more than anything I'll bet. Look at the names you just named. If these were really GU, how much do you think they'd fetch?

You can find autographs, on card ha e you, that go for less. Someone loves the look regardless of the patch being manufactured.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Its pretty clear. So many people have personal vendettas about Leaf for no apparent reason than just to run their mouths. It really gets old and sad and makes the people who do it look pathetic.
This bullXXXX right here gets thrown around every time there is a legitimate criticism of a Leaf product.

For supposedly being the ultimate high-end prospect product,
I see a lot of poorly conceived ideas posted here.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I agree but to use non-game used is a giant step backwards for all companies. Not forwards. Like I said, I'm not sure where the hobby can go from here but stepping backwards cannot be the answer.

You say it's a step backwards, but by that logic, base rookie cards should have gone away once SP rookies came out, and one-color swatch cards should have gone away once multicolored patch cards were released, and so on and so on. If there's a market for something, and clearly there's a market for this, then how is it a step backwards? Maybe cardboard should've been abolished when the first acetates were made? It's not like GU is going away completely because event used is becoming a tour de force or anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online