Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Sports Art Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Napoleon Lajoie was born on this date in 1874 in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. This is the first sketch card I ever created for product line. Was thrilled and honored to be selected to work with them for a few years before the company and product line “went south”. Ha! I think this piece was created in 2013 along with many other Baseball Hall of Famers. Still very grateful!

Attachments

• Nap_Lajoie_LR.jpg
    Nap_Lajoie_LR.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.30.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.30.52 AM.png
    618 KB · Views: 6

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Back on September 16, 1988, Tom Browning tosses the only perfect game in Reds history versus the LA Dodgers!

Attachments

• Tom Browning_Cincinnati_Reds.jpg
    Tom Browning_Cincinnati_Reds.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Tom_Browning_2_LR.jpg
    Tom_Browning_2_LR.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Tom_Browning_Progress_Shots_LR.jpg
    Tom_Browning_Progress_Shots_LR.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Browning_Signing_1.jpg
    Browning_Signing_1.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 6

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I'll say it here too Brent. If Topps plans to further their Project 2020 with Project 2021 they should seriously consider you and Tim Carroll to be part of it!

Last edited:

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I'll say it here too Brent. If Topps plans to further their Project 2020 with Project 2021 they should seriously consider you and Tim Carroll to be part of it!

Speaking for myself only here, unfortunately, they have recently only offered me $3 a card... Yep, $3.00 a card. I can’t pay my bills on that, I put too much time and effort into each piece of artwork. So we have talked twice and could not come up with a number that works for both parties. But thank you for your vote of confidence! A third time we spoke, I was signed for more money a card, but they missed all the deadlines all summer and created a real rush job that I could not accomplish in any way shape or form. It was a dream to work for Topps, but it will need to make sense for both parties. I would love to create my very best work for them, that would be a beautiful partnership.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Speaking for myself only here, unfortunately, they have recently only offered me $3 a card... Yep, $3.00 a card. I can’t pay my bills on that, I put too much time and effort into each piece of artwork. So we have talked twice and could not come up with a number that works for both parties. But thank you for your vote of confidence! A third time we spoke, I was signed for more money a card, but they missed all the deadlines all summer and created a real rush job that I could not accomplish in any way shape or form. It was a dream to work for Topps, but it will need to make sense for both parties. I would love to create my very best work for them, that would be a beautiful partnership.

That's just crazy Brent. I had no idea that they would offer up something so ridiculous like that. Honestly that just sounds insulting, at least from my perspective.
It makes me wonder what they're paying these 2020 guys. I bet they're all like "I can't wait to get to the end of my contract with Topps!"
And then as far as not meeting their deadlines, it seems like all of their products are behind but in all fairness that very well could be a covid related issue.
Still, that's about the equivalence of offering someone $100 for a nice '52 Mantle...!

I wish you luck in your negotiations with them and I would love to see your artwork with them on full display someday if they pony up and it's able to happen!

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
That's just crazy Brent. I had no idea that they would offer up something so ridiculous like that. Honestly that just sounds insulting, at least from my perspective.
It makes me wonder what they're paying these 2020 guys. I bet they're all like "I can't wait to get to the end of my contract with Topps!"
And then as far as not meeting their deadlines, it seems like all of their products are behind but in all fairness that very well could be a covid related issue.
Still, that's about the equivalence of offering someone $100 for a nice '52 Mantle...!

I wish you luck in your negotiations with them and I would love to see your artwork with them on full display someday if they pony up and it's able to happen!
Hopefully they were paid well for the latest work. Many folks are excited to work for Topps so the money is secondary to them, as a full time artist I do not have that option, I need to beable to cover my bills. As for the delay working with them, no, this was about four years ago. The design director was young and not on top of his product. He simply thought i would make the three week deadline to save time. It was beyond disappointing as I was so looking forward to the project. If I ever work with them I want to provide them with my best work.

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Excited and honored to be asked to join many other talented sports artists on the, “Beckett Sports Artist Team”. This will allow our artwork to be spotlighted in the pages of the Beckett Monthly price guides as well as online in their directory of artists. (We will have a rotating gallery page and link to our social media pages.) We also will have the amazing opportunity to sell our original artwork through Pristine Auctions over the next year. It is wonderful to see genre of sports art being celebrated by an industry leader like Beckett Media. Lastly, it is cool to continue a long time relationship with Beckett that we started back in 1989 when I became an official dealer for Beckett price guides at our tiny Baseball Card store in Fairborn, Ohio! Ha! We will let folks know when our artwork is scheduled for the Pristine Auctions. Thank you Eric Norton for suggesting me for this opportunity! https://www.beckett.com/artist/profile/17

Attachments

• Beckett_Art_Instagram_LR.jpg
    Beckett_Art_Instagram_LR.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 5
  • Beckett_Pristine_Instagram_LR.jpg
    Beckett_Pristine_Instagram_LR.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 4
  • Beckett_2_Instagram_LR.jpg
    Beckett_2_Instagram_LR.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Beckett_Team_3_Instagram.jpg
    Beckett_Team_3_Instagram.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 4
  • _BrentInstagram_LR.jpg
    _BrentInstagram_LR.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 3

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Excited and honored to be asked to join many other talented sports artists on the, “Beckett Sports Artist Team”. This will allow our artwork to be spotlighted in the pages of the Beckett Monthly price guides as well as online in their directory of artists. (We will have a rotating gallery page and link to our social media pages.) We also will have the amazing opportunity to sell our original artwork through Pristine Auctions over the next year. It is wonderful to see genre of sports art being celebrated by an industry leader like Beckett Media. Lastly, it is cool to continue a long time relationship with Beckett that we started back in 1989 when I became an official dealer for Beckett price guides at our tiny Baseball Card store in Fairborn, Ohio! Ha! We will let folks know when our artwork is scheduled for the Pristine Auctions. Thank you Eric Norton for suggesting me for this opportunity! https://www.beckett.com/artist/profile/17

Congrats on your opportunity with Beckett, that's very cool!
I love the fact that you do other great work as well with human and pet portraits.

And I know I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing that you no longer draw Ziggy for a quarter? ;)

Congrats again!

Naughtonart

May 8, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Congrats on your opportunity with Beckett, that's very cool!
I love the fact that you do other great work as well with human and pet portraits.

And I know I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing that you no longer draw Ziggy for a quarter? ;)

Congrats again!
Ha! No but I would love to find some of those Ziggy drawings! Ha!! Everyone has to start somewhere I guess. Yes, we do a ton of non-sport work and I have a special place in my heart for pet portraits, always rewarding! Thanks!

Attachments

• Pups_Instagram.jpg
    Pups_Instagram.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts