Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Showdown Collectors/Collections?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
Howdy!
The hunt continues to finish the MLB Showdown collection. I'm done with the "regular season" sets. It's now down to just the promos.
Does anyone have any of "those magic shops" around them that stockpiles old inventory of things they just can't throw away?

I'm trying to run down lead after lead, and I've now got myself down to under 50 cards total to finish everything from 2000-2005, but some of what is left is going to be MURDER to find.
I ask because it seems like folks on various collection venues are always bragging about how "they walked into a local shop, and they had this magical stash of inventory that so-and-so thought nobody would ever want, and I went and bought it all...."

Why can't I find a place like that?!?!? LOL.
If anyone is wiling to part with some of their older MLB Showdown stuff, I'm your guy!
Thanks! Hope this note finds all of you safe and well.

- JR

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have been half-heartedly looking for a foil Hoyt Wilhelm ever since I saw one featured in a blog. He is pictured with the Dodgers. It's a little bit ugly, but Hoyt doesn't have a lot of Dodger appearances. If you have that one in duplicate, I don't have others, but perhaps you are willing to part with it?

th.jpg

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
What promos are you still in search of?
Here's the list. Some of them on there are like, "how do you not have that" type of common, but others are extremely tough to come across:

2000 Pennant Run Promos (WotC labels)

Peter Bergeron
Adam Kennedy
Gabe Kapler
Daryle Ward

2001 Ace Pitcher
Pedro Martinez

2001 Diamond Stars
Carlos Delgado
Mike Sweeney
Roberto Alomar
Troy Glaus
Ivan Rodriguez
Andruw Jones
Miguel Tejada

2001 Future Stars
Corey Koskie
Jay Payton
Mike Cameron
Peter Bergeron
Trot Nixon
Richie Sexson

2001 NSCC Logo
CC Sabathia

2002 - DCI Logos
Trot Nixon
Jeff Zimmerman
Ichiro
Alex Rodriguez
Sammy Sosa
Derek Jeter

2002 Showdown League Promo
Magglio Ordonez
Brad Penny
Mike Cameron
Rafael Palmeiro

P52 - Manny Ramirez
P53 - Ken Griffey Jr.
P54 - CC Sabathia
P55 - Josh Beckett
P56 - Brad Lidge
P57 - Jeff Bagwell
P58 - Jeff Kent
P59 - Francisco Cordero
P60 - Hank Blalock
P61 - Mark Teixeira
P63 - Carlos Delgado
P64 - Miguel Tejada
P65 - Greg Maddux
P66 - Ivan Rodriguez
P67 - Andy Pettitte
P68 - Craig Biggio
P69 - Roger Clemens
P70 - Javier Vazquez

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
I have been half-heartedly looking for a foil Hoyt Wilhelm ever since I saw one featured in a blog. He is pictured with the Dodgers. It's a little bit ugly, but Hoyt doesn't have a lot of Dodger appearances. If you have that one in duplicate, I don't have others, but perhaps you are willing to part with it?

View attachment 117277
I'll take a peek for you. I'm relatively sure I have his 05 Cooperstown Collection foil, but to your point, he was with the Orioles in that photo (it was his '62 Season that they based that card off of).
The stats on the 03 version (the one you pictured) are actually a bit better for the price you pay to put him in your bullpen. If you happen to have any promos, I'd be interested in working something out. Someone else had asked which promos I was looking for in this thread, which I replied with my list.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think I read where the card had added value to someone who plays the game. I don't play and just want the card, so that might pose an issue for me getting one at a price I think it reasonable. I do not have any of these cards, other than maybe a few singles from lots. I won't be of any help to you, but would gladly if I had any.

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
This isn't quite a comprehensive list, as there are a number of promo cards not listed. This, for the most part, seems to be the actual WotC releases, and not the give-aways/promos.
They DO, however, have the 2000 numbers right for the most part (between Future Stars and Diamond Starts, I think the Spring Training number actually is 34). The 2000 Pennant Run Promos were 8 in number, and only found in the October 2000 edition of TopDeck Magazine. I'm still trying to hunt down some folks that have the give-aways/inserts from that year.

Any of the other years' promo totals aren't correct. I can do some countin' and put the real numbers up.
1602898667827.png

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
It's interesting to see that laid out. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the game or that they had a "player" and then "strategy" card for each year. I probably have a half dozen of these between Konerko and Buehrle and Magglio in my collection, but never really looked into trying to do entire team sets or player runs. You're working on a great project. Enjoy. Are the foils that you occasionally see a variation of the base card?

Last edited:

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
The foils for each year weren't variations of the card per se. They were just batters/pitchers that were produced that had rather good stats on them to play. They obviously would cost more to put into your roster (the very basics of team construction: you construct 20 man rosters with a 5000 point limit - your salary cap so to speak). Obviously, the better the player was, the more points he'd cost toward the cap, and you'd have to scrimp/save by using less desirable players in other positions. It's a wonderful game where you really get to feel like you're managing your own ball club.

I'll post the actual number of promos soon.

I DO have a LOT of commons/uncommons to spare, if you nice folks are collectors of certain players. I'd be happy to supplement some for you, if you'd like. Or, if you just want to learn more about the game, I'm happy to help with that, too!

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I'd appreciate it. I'll send you a message a bit later tonight. I'm a Strat-o-Matic player, so this game is a bit different, but I'm always looking to pick up new cards for my team. I've just never really explored these much before. Sounds good.

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
Final counts (I think I counted these up correctly) on each year's promos (and ONLY promos):

2000 had:
22 Diamond Stars
13 Future Stars
14 Home Run Hitters
8 Pennant Run Promos (the WotC stamped cards)(I'm missing 4 of these)
Total: 57

2001 had:
20 Ace Pitchers (I''m only missing 1)
6 All Star Game Logo Players
6 Gen-Con Logo Players
6 Origins Logo Players
6 NSCC Logo Players (NOTE: this grouping was always the same 6 players, with just the different logos on the cards)
10 Demo Pack Promos
20 Diamond Stars (I'm missing 7)
13 Future Stars (I'm missing 5)
6 Showdown Stars Promos
Total: 93

2002 had:
50 All-Star Game (released in its own nice box as a separate entity)
10 DCI-embossed Promos (some of the hardest ones to find, I'm missing 6 of these)
5 Showdown Stars Promos
9 MLB Showdown League Stars Promos (the ones with the yellow background - I'm missing 4).
Total: 74

(also has 6 promo Strategy Cards in this year, so add 6. I almost forgot those)

2003 had:
50 MLB Showdown League Promos (the ones with the blue background)
9 MLB Showdown League Stars Promos (I'm missing 6 of these)
Total: 59

2004:
71 Showdown League Promos (I'm missing 18 of these)
Total: 71

2005:
25 Showdown League Promos
Total: 25

Total number of Promos: 385

Last edited:

Tfangman

Jun 4, 2015
I always wanted to do a master set of Showdown. Your progress is impressive!

I’ve been trying to document the Frank Thomas Showdown cards and I just recently found this one. Can you confirm that it exists and do you know of any other really tough Franks?

B96F99E8-1870-4E02-96A0-04BF4E3AE916.jpeg

Final counts (I think I counted these up correctly) on each year's promos (and ONLY promos):

2000 had:
22 Diamond Stars
13 Future Stars
14 Home Run Hitters
8 Pennant Run Promos (the WotC stamped cards)(I'm missing 4 of these)
Total: 57

2001 had:
20 Ace Pitchers (I''m only missing 1)
6 All Star Game Logo Players
6 Gen-Con Logo Players
6 Origins Logo Players
6 NSCC Logo Players (NOTE: this grouping was always the same 6 players, with just the different logos on the cards)
10 Demo Pack Promos
20 Diamond Stars (I'm missing 7)
13 Future Stars (I'm missing 5)
6 Showdown Stars Promos
Total: 93

2002 had:
50 All-Star Game (released in its own nice box as a separate entity)
10 DCI-embossed Promos (some of the hardest ones to find, I'm missing 6 of these)
5 Showdown Stars Promos
9 MLB Showdown League Stars Promos (the ones with the yellow background - I'm missing 4).
Total: 74

(also has 6 promo Strategy Cards in this year, so add 6. I almost forgot those)

2003 had:
50 MLB Showdown League Promos (the ones with the blue background)
9 MLB Showdown League Stars Promos (I'm missing 6 of these)
Total: 59

2004:
71 Showdown League Promos (I'm missing 18 of these)
Total: 71

2005:
25 Showdown League Promos
Total: 25

Total number of Promos: 385

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
That particular promo is from 2004. Yes, it certainly does exist. I have one.

Here's the Frank Thomas occurrences from MLB Showdown:

2000 base set (foil, card #109)
2001 base set (foil, card #107)
2001 Diamond Stars Promo (these aren't numbered, and "moderately" hard to find)
2002 Pennant Run - Super Season (1994) (card #117)
2002 Trading Deadline (foil, card #77)
2003 Base Set (card #82)
2003 MLB Showdown League Promo (card P34 - I'm still after this one, these are rather hard to find these days, as they were included in the MLB 2003 Showdown Guide, which is tough to locate anymore).
2004 Base Set (card #83)
2004 MLB Showdown League P07 (that's the one you included above in the photo)
2004 Trading Deadline (card #94)

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
Still hoping to find some folks that are willing to part with/sell some MLB Showdown Promos. I'm down to about 25 left to finish everything!
Anyone here dabble in the game at all, or may have some hanging around in one of those mystery boxes in their closet?
It's amazing to hear the stories of people who find that "magic store that had ......", yet I've never been successful in finding one of those myself.

Any help appreciated as to where I can seek out some folks who have some. The folks like showdowncards.com, comc, etc. do not have anything left I'm in need of.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Howdy!
The hunt continues to finish the MLB Showdown collection. I'm done with the "regular season" sets. It's now down to just the promos.
Does anyone have any of "those magic shops" around them that stockpiles old inventory of things they just can't throw away?

I'm trying to run down lead after lead, and I've now got myself down to under 50 cards total to finish everything from 2000-2005, but some of what is left is going to be MURDER to find.
I ask because it seems like folks on various collection venues are always bragging about how "they walked into a local shop, and they had this magical stash of inventory that so-and-so thought nobody would ever want, and I went and bought it all...."

Why can't I find a place like that?!?!? LOL.
If anyone is wiling to part with some of their older MLB Showdown stuff, I'm your guy!
Thanks! Hope this note finds all of you safe and well.

- JR

I only have a 2001 Albert Pujols promo. Are there other Pujols promo versions in all years?

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
There are not. The Pujols you made reference to (the left of the two in the photo) was from their Pennant Run release that year. That was "an expansion", if you will. The Showdown Stars card on the right IS a promo that was released that year. As I remember, it was the only year Pujols was a promo. He was released as a foil or a super season card (in 2003) as parts of the regular releases.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There's a shop here in town that's been around 30+ years. I would be they have some of this stuff in there as they carry CCGs as well as sports. They don't do a great job of keeping fresh stock available, seems like some of the same cards have been sitting in the cases as long as the shop has been. But they've got one of those famous back rooms where all the interesting stuff is still sitting in boxes. I managed to pry their Derek Jeter box out into the light a couple years ago and it had a bunch of saleable cards, if not buried treasure, like low end inserts and parallels 90s-onwards. I never know what could be unearthed if I ask nicely to start digging.

Apojar

Sep 29, 2020
There's a shop here in town that's been around 30+ years. I would be they have some of this stuff in there as they carry CCGs as well as sports. They don't do a great job of keeping fresh stock available, seems like some of the same cards have been sitting in the cases as long as the shop has been. But they've got one of those famous back rooms where all the interesting stuff is still sitting in boxes. I managed to pry their Derek Jeter box out into the light a couple years ago and it had a bunch of saleable cards, if not buried treasure, like low end inserts and parallels 90s-onwards. I never know what could be unearthed if I ask nicely to start digging.
OOF! What do I have to do to find this guy? If he's into MLB Showdown, he could be sitting on a gold mine. 4 of the DCI cards I'm missing appeared on eBay recently, and went for over $900 total. I just couldn't go up quite that high, despite the rarity of them, or I'd be divorced right now.

Em3

Jun 4, 2021
OOF! What do I have to do to find this guy? If he's into MLB Showdown, he could be sitting on a gold mine. 4 of the DCI cards I'm missing appeared on eBay recently, and went for over $900 total. I just couldn't go up quite that high, despite the rarity of them, or I'd be divorced right now.
I just came across this thread on google. I opened up an old box in one of my A/C storages and found a stack of MLB Showdown 2000 cards. Currently trying to decipher/organize/determine values of them. Looks like two promo cards, about 10~ first editions, a bunch of non first edition player cards, and a ton of the "skill" type cards.

Does anyone know if the "skill" type (defense/offense/ultity) are worth squat or may they be junked?

Also, I can't find any data on the value of a special card. Its # 001/008 Peter Bergeron with a "W" (wizards of the coast) stamp on the bottom left. Anyone have any data on sales`value of this card?

Members online