Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Eyepoppers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
We've had threads previously that highlight cards that sold for surprising amounts, but I can't find any so I'm starting a new one. In this market there are probably quite a few surprising/shocking/stunning sales.

2011 Topps Update Hope Diamond Babe Ruth #/60 - $280. I had this on my watchlist and thought about bidding but as it passed $60 with a few hours left I decided to let this go as it was more of a "would be nice" card. I know the Hope Diamond parallel is popular, especially for logo rookies, but wow I've been sleeping on them. And that's not even the champion of recent sales because one Rickey went for $330 and another sold for $280.

2010 Upper Deck Exquisite Derek Jeter - $655. A BGS 9 sold for $315 or so over the summer, which was probably the highest price I'd seen for a base single from this set to that point, but a raw one sold for $619 a month ago and then this for $655 last night showed that was not a mirage.
2010 Upper Deck Exquisite Alex Rodriguez - $338. Another major name from this underrated set, seems some number of people are now rating it with 3 bidders in triple digits. Plus, I'm onboard with his premium stuff really moving when his first HOF election comes near. Another copy sold for $300 BO in December.
2010 Upper Deck Exquisite Jose Canseco - $3.50. Conversely, this was a stone cold deal-of-the-year for someone. A classic case of someone not knowing what they have, this was listed at $3.50 BIN plus $4 shipping. I won't be surprised to see it listed again (I still need it so I hope so) for 100x that price (I still need it so I hope not).

2019 Topps Transcendent Fernando Tatis Jr - $762. No parallels, very limited numbered print run, and the cost of the sets pretty much force the cards to retain some value, so I have been a big fan of Transcendent for logo RCs since they started. The 2018 Acuna became a $500 card in the summer of 2019, probably over $1500 today, so it seemed obvious that the market agrees. Yet somehow I neglected to buy any last year except Alonso, and I'm sure the Tatis was similarly priced in the $40-50 range on release, so this one kinds of burns. BGS 9.5 sold for $635 in November, and this raw copy eclipsed that price easily.

2020 Topps Heritage High Number Luis Robert/Eloy Jimenez Dual Auto - $750. I don't know what this "should" be worth. I'd say $750 feels pretty darn high, but maybe due to lack of supply it's right on target even though dual player cards never seem to be really popular. Robert is by far the biggest logo RC name in the product and his autos were highly anticipated. However, only 2 solo autos and this dual have been listed on ebay. Pretty short, I think, for a mass market product like Heritage, but there are rumors that production has been cut, retail extremely limited, etc. plus it's not being opened in much volume because of the dud checklist. But the Robert autos are either really short or maybe they messed up packing them out.

2020 Topps Heritage High Number Throwback Yordan Alvarez - $840. This is the #1 Yordan card I've been hoping to acquire all year but I'm not going that high. Odds on several popular pulls in HHN are tougher than they were on the main set, but Throwbacks are actually about 3x more common. But only 2 Yordans have been listed on ebay as far as I can see, and this is the only sale.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I agree the market is crazy right now. Since I got back into the hobby in late 2014, this is on average the highest pricing I've seen.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Anything 2018 for Juan Soto and 2019 for Tatis Jr., has seen increases in recent weeks.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Several years ago, I bought a mixed serial #'ed lot from Sportlots Auctions that had a 2010 Exquisite Matt Kemp. It ended up selling for nearly $60, not bad for a lot that cost maybe $5 with shipping.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Football and basketball prices are even nuttier. Esp for Mahomes, Luka and LBJ.

And just about any decent player’s Prizm RC. Hobby Football boxes are about $1100 or so.

Crazy, crazy high.

I think Mahomes Prizm base cards are about $1500 raw...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
BTW, last week I bought a ‘83 Fleer set, just base, no graded, for $30.

About the price of most blasters. Or the going rate for a cello pack of a hot product.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Can someone please explain why those Exquisite base cards are fetching that much?

Real quick synopsis- UD lost its baseball license ,many were in retail packs , many back doored, all of the items -even base cards -are just plain tough to come by plain and simple. Like someone else said- read up on the series.

Board member @heavy_hitter , @smapdi , and a few others are big on this set. You wade into those waters better have a snorkel they are deep :sneaky:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The way it's gone, on rare occasions when multiple copies of a card have been listed close to each other, the price on the second copy has been significantly below the first. Assuming there are 3-4 people chasing the set who may or may not need it, and player collectors may or may not know to go high on them, this makes sense. But with prices earned on the last couple batches iluvsaudek listed along with other randoms that have popped up recently, it could be that more collectors have entered the game. A base Clemente ending well over $500 with sales tax is pretty strong, all things considered.
1610387292078.png

Another listing from that seller that I had a close eye on was the 2005 Origins Old Judge Gold Auto Derek Jeter #/5 which closed at $644. As I had been chasing the regular #/20 parallel for so long, I had also had my eye on these, though I was not as vigilant. I can't remember the last time a Jeter was listed, could've been years. Jeter's 90s rarities have been sky high for a while, and it seems like his 00s market is also increasing rapidly. Though it's hard to know if the competition came from a Jeter collector, set collector, nice card collector, or speculator.

Attachments

• 1610376811839.png
    1610376811839.png
    345 KB · Views: 18

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Here's the biggest Exquisite thread I found. There are others though.

Maybe one of the experts on it knows which is best to use...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think the Rose cards in UD weren't because they knew they'd be sued, it's because they didn't have to abide by the MLB license rules of excluding banned players. Leaf and Playoff/Panini did for years, and there's always a demand for Rose cards, or was. If they had just airbrushed out the logos, they'd probably still be making baseball cards today. Pretty bold of them to go ahead like they did.

One other thing about the 2010 Exquisite set is that it seems the design has a lot in common with a Benchwarmers set of all things. Contrasted with 2013 Gold Edition, the general look is fairly similar and the filigreed foil stamping is pretty similar.
2010-exq-chipper.jpgbenchwarmer-bingham.jpg

Exquisite was going to be a big product with different jersey, patch, and autograph cards. I always wondered if the other designs from the Benchwarmers set were from the cards that were never released. Imagine these with Griffey, Pujols, Jeter, Ripken, etc.
benchwarmer-autos.jpg benchwarmer-jerseys.jpg

Or even these. Who wouldn't want a big, sloppy David Ortiz kiss card.
benchwarmer-kisses.jpg

popguynyc

Feb 11, 2012
We've had threads previously that highlight cards that sold for surprising amounts, but I can't find any so I'm starting a new one. In this market there are probably quite a few surprising/shocking/stunning sales.

2011 Topps Update Hope Diamond Babe Ruth #/60 - $280. I had this on my watchlist and thought about bidding but as it passed $60 with a few hours left I decided to let this go as it was more of a "would be nice" card. I know the Hope Diamond parallel is popular, especially for logo rookies, but wow I've been sleeping on them. And that's not even the champion of recent sales because one Rickey went for $330 and another sold for $280.

2010 Upper Deck Exquisite Derek Jeter - $655. A BGS 9 sold for $315 or so over the summer, which was probably the highest price I'd seen for a base single from this set to that point, but a raw one sold for $619 a month ago and then this for $655 last night showed that was not a mirage.
2010 Upper Deck Exquisite Alex Rodriguez - $338. Another major name from this underrated set, seems some number of people are now rating it with 3 bidders in triple digits. Plus, I'm onboard with his premium stuff really moving when his first HOF election comes near. Another copy sold for $300 BO in December.
2010 Upper Deck Exquisite Jose Canseco - $3.50. Conversely, this was a stone cold deal-of-the-year for someone. A classic case of someone not knowing what they have, this was listed at $3.50 BIN plus $4 shipping. I won't be surprised to see it listed again (I still need it so I hope so) for 100x that price (I still need it so I hope not).

2019 Topps Transcendent Fernando Tatis Jr - $762. No parallels, very limited numbered print run, and the cost of the sets pretty much force the cards to retain some value, so I have been a big fan of Transcendent for logo RCs since they started. The 2018 Acuna became a $500 card in the summer of 2019, probably over $1500 today, so it seemed obvious that the market agrees. Yet somehow I neglected to buy any last year except Alonso, and I'm sure the Tatis was similarly priced in the $40-50 range on release, so this one kinds of burns. BGS 9.5 sold for $635 in November, and this raw copy eclipsed that price easily.

2020 Topps Heritage High Number Luis Robert/Eloy Jimenez Dual Auto - $750. I don't know what this "should" be worth. I'd say $750 feels pretty darn high, but maybe due to lack of supply it's right on target even though dual player cards never seem to be really popular. Robert is by far the biggest logo RC name in the product and his autos were highly anticipated. However, only 2 solo autos and this dual have been listed on ebay. Pretty short, I think, for a mass market product like Heritage, but there are rumors that production has been cut, retail extremely limited, etc. plus it's not being opened in much volume because of the dud checklist. But the Robert autos are either really short or maybe they messed up packing them out.

2020 Topps Heritage High Number Throwback Yordan Alvarez - $840. This is the #1 Yordan card I've been hoping to acquire all year but I'm not going that high. Odds on several popular pulls in HHN are tougher than they were on the main set, but Throwbacks are actually about 3x more common. But only 2 Yordans have been listed on ebay as far as I can see, and this is the only sale.

Those 2010 Upper Deck Exquisite look so chippy on the reverse side. I can’t imagine they would grade particularly well.
But I should look at mine and see if any look good.
Glad you started this thread!

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
Football and basketball prices are even nuttier. Esp for Mahomes, Luka and LBJ.

And just about any decent player’s Prizm RC. Hobby Football boxes are about $1100 or so.

Crazy, crazy high.

I think Mahomes Prizm base cards are about $1500 raw...

Prizms are going crazy for almost any decent player. Crazy prices and it still going up.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Several years ago, I bought a mixed serial #'ed lot from Sportlots Auctions that had a 2010 Exquisite Matt Kemp. It ended up selling for nearly $60, not bad for a lot that cost maybe $5 with shipping.

It was actually a James Loney, and I just re-discovered I bought a Harold Baines Exquisite for $12 on COMC a while back. I could potentially have it delivered by the end of April (2021, I hope)!

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I think it's funny that Upper Deck was so "F*** it" with their 2010 set that they even made a Pete Rose card with an MLB logo. If you know you're getting sued, may as well go big.

I pulled this myself and haven't seen another copy surface yet.

iT7lu1u.png

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember seeing that card on the checklist and really wanting it. A triple with Carlton would be the dream.

Members online

No members online now.