Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collector doldrums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Claims they were bought at the bankruptcy auction do my guess is some form of final prototype/exec sample? Who knows.

I've heard mostly that they're just replacement cards missing serial number. Something else to chase if they appeal to you.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I bought a lot of three, mostly because it had the prism plat. Blue that has eluded me, so at least now I have an example of it.

Also I completely geek out every time I get an eBay notification that something was delivered, I just got two notifications, it's gonna be a good time when I get home!!

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I bought a lot of three, mostly because it had the prism plat. Blue that has eluded me, so at least now I have an example of it.

Also I completely geek out every time I get an eBay notification that something was delivered, I just got two notifications, it's gonna be a good time when I get home!!

Party time!

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I think those un-numbered Pacifics are pretty cool. I'm interested in the Robbie lot that seller has up right now, but the price is still a bit steep - especially since I already have half the ones in that lot (from other sellers). He was willing to break up the lot for me, but we couldn't agree on a price. Hoping the asking price continues to drop, as it has once already.

Hope it comes down in price for you.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Got one of the Beckett inserted sample cards incoming for Erstad. One of the few Silver I didn't already have.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
The well has really dried up for me (again). Used to seeing at least something, even if overpriced, that I need.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
The Jeff Frye well has gone dry again after the UD Electric Diamond Gold auction a while back.

The Ryan Helsley well has been a gusher though. I've picked up 2 Supers and a Red in the last month.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Overall, being a Jim Thome collector I can't really complain. He's got almost 10,000 cards and with him going in the HOF in 2018 he has a lot more cards coming out since then, compared to 13-17. Of course there are a lot more Thome collectors now that he's in the HOF. From 02-17 I felt like he was under collected and underrated. That did change a little when he hit home runs #500 and #600. Right now it's just up and down. Some days I don't see anything I need or in my price range. Other days I'll see 2-3 cards I need. Some days I don't even look. I need to branch out more, as I only do Ebay (auctions) and Sportlots. I think 2021 will be a good year for collecting!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I thought I'd be stuck on my Sizemore collection just waiting for 1/1s to pop up since I have a copy of pretty much everything numbered above 10 or so, or so I thought. I've been relying on my memory when I check the listings, though I am good about adding thing to my watchlist and checking up. I gave up using any published checklists like Beckett a long time ago because they listed things in such inscrutable ways. 2008 SPx was the one that dissuaded me. I have assembled 20 different "Winning Materials" variations with different die-cut windows and colors, and you cannot tell one from another by looking at Beckett's checklist. But last week another thread prompted me to go look on ebay for something and I discovered a 2009 card that I somehow had missed. Not a rare card, just a low-level parallel from UD Piece of History. Now I'm thinking I should do a thorough checklisting against an outside source even if it is hard to match up names.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I kind of compare the checklists between Beckett, Sportscardforum, and Trading Card Database to try to weed out that type of issue. Congrats on the new Grady.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I've done the same thing by merging TCDB, Beckett, and Baseballcardpedia checklists. They are really good resources, but each of them is incomplete, and each of them have some pretty glaring errors. So I've just done my best to fill in those gaps along the way. My current checklist is (almost) bulletproof, but it took hundreds of hours to get there.

But anyhow, congrats on that pickup! Has to be a nice feeling to identify a little hidden gem that you'd overlooked before.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
The well has really dried up for me (again). Used to seeing at least something, even if overpriced, that I need.

In a dry season again. It's been a while since I've added an Erstad from my list. Two cards I need on eBay but asking prices are well beyond what they normally go for.

I have picked up 2 Bucky Jacobsen 1/1 cards this year.

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
Also, did you see the seller who had all the non-serial numbered Pacific replacement cards? I've managed to snag dozens of Erstad's.

Who is this you speak of? Do you have a link?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Also, did you see the seller who had all the non-serial numbered Pacific replacement cards? I've managed to snag dozens of Erstad's.

Who is this you speak of? Do you have a link?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it's Chris Kurdelski, unsure of the eBay ID... trying to find it now.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
It's been a long time since I found a card from Wakefield playing days, won one on eBay yesterday, now I have to wait in agony for it to hopefully show up in my mailbox before I can officially cross it off the top 10 most wanted list

Members online

Latest posts