Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

an off the wall Rant!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A brand new penny sleeve, a brand new toploader, put in a brand new team bag. And just to make sure it doesn't get bent in the mail, it should be placed between two solid gold bricks in the bubble mailer. Anything less and the seller is a cheap moron.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
A brand new penny sleeve, a brand new toploader, put in a brand new team bag. And just to make sure it doesn't get bent in the mail, it should be placed between two solid gold bricks in the bubble mailer. Anything less and the seller is a cheap moron.
The gold bricks are the important part. Some people think you can use silver ingots instead but they're sorely mistaken.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
they put the card in a penny sleeve and seal it with painter's tape then tape it to the inside of the envelope for the cheap ebay shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have gotten a lot like this lately.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Any tape on any top loader is a no no.

I put the cards in penny sleeves and put them in a recycled envelope with a piece of cardboard. Then fold the envelope over so the cards don’t move, cut off the excess envelope and tape it closed with the tape tab method. Finally, I’ll tape the envelope to another piece of cardboard and once again use the tape tab method.

Collectors love tape tabs because they’ve spent their entire collecting life fighting the sellers that believe it is impossible to use too much tape!

It’s so frustrating when a package arrives and you’re excited to see it and the seller has used enough tape to make the worst Christmas present wrapper blush.

dawgpack

Jan 1, 2013
I guess I am missing something on this…

I completely get the nuisance of a seller that is excessive with tape, particularly if it isn’t painters tape. But, as a buyer the goal is for a card to arrive to me in the condition that the picture on the listing showed it was in (the condition that k paid for). Not for me to get the card and the case I’m going to permanently store the card in.

Given that the goal is to have the card arrive in the same condition in which it left the shipper’s location, how does a folded envelope and cardboard protect the card better than a top loader?

If the top loader arrives to me with some tape on it, what does that matter? I’m going to put the card in one of my own holders and put the holder the card arrived in into the pile I use for shipping out cards. The top loader is just a vessel for safe transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I hate having a crisp new toploader ruined with tape. For some reason, it bothers me less if it's an older, shipping-quality, toploader with tape.

I'd rather save money on shipping as a buyer than have over the top newer supplies factored into shipping fees. Some guys sandwich the card between two new top loaders.

But what really bothers me is the auction shows the card in a magnetic one touch, but the card arrives in a beat up top loader and I get charged $6 shipping.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I prefer when sellers use painter's tape to seal the top of the toploaders because as mentioned, it typically doesn't leave the residue that scotch and other tape does. I've had cards mailed to me before in toploaders that weren't sealed at all at the top and the card arrived damaged. So no, I don't have any complaints with sellers using painter's tape at all.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Ditto.

I prefer when sellers use painter's tape to seal the top of the toploaders because as mentioned, it typically doesn't leave the residue that scotch and other tape does. I've had cards mailed to me before in toploaders that weren't sealed at all at the top and the card arrived damaged. So no, I don't have any complaints with sellers using painter's tape at all.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
I guess I am missing something on this…

I completely get the nuisance of a seller that is excessive with tape, particularly if it isn’t painters tape. But, as a buyer the goal is for a card to arrive to me in the condition that the picture on the listing showed it was in (the condition that k paid for). Not for me to get the card and the case I’m going to permanently store the card in.

Given that the goal is to have the card arrive in the same condition in which it left the shipper’s location, how does a folded envelope and cardboard protect the card better than a top loader?

If the top loader arrives to me with some tape on it, what does that matter? I’m going to put the card in one of my own holders and put the holder the card arrived in into the pile I use for shipping out cards. The top loader is just a vessel for safe transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
This!!

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Save regular envelopes that come in the mail. Put the top loader in the recycled envelope and tape it shut. The type of tape will not matter.

Members online

Latest posts