Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Dragging this thread up from its buried position due to some updates.

Back in March of last year , the last vestiges of the WWII ties in my family died when the old man died at 81
Leaving me with just 2 or 3 living relatives of mine born at or before 1945. Next gen starts around 1958-64 with a bunch of boomers of which I'm part of, then continues to the 70's "baby" crew. I say "baby" but "baby" refers to a while bunch of "kids" who just hit 50+.

His death hit me more than I expected. Not in any sense of personal loss, but just smacked me topside my forehead when I realized who showed up at the funeral with their "grandchildren". Me sitting there thinking " I'm older than these people and these are grandchildren". Sorta smacked me topside a 2nd time when I then realized- crap- retirement sorta snuck up on me. I was way, way, way too busy working to know or pay attention to the fact I can claim retirement FULL 100% benefits in January of 2024. I still haven't even seen the VA guys about my disability yet either.

Took me a while to come to grips with that "mortality-it can leave at any minute" reminder. But its now firmly planted in my head. Reading up on some others who have undergone bypasses and other old man body abuse issues again reminded me of my age

Why does any of this matter? I've decided after being the caretaker of some rare items for nearly 50+ years in some cases to start divesting for retirement , and padding said retirement funds more than the paltry sums they currently are possessing. Oh, I'll still collect my favorites, just less of them, and sell off every single dupe I find .

I'm going to start posting some stuff in the usual places, and in a few instances may use a trusted 3rd party when the value gets excessive. I cant talk about the vintage as the lawyer wont allow it. But modern he's told me do as I wish- how little does he know. Although in several instances of modern where there are some touchy and thorny legal issues - well, I'll avoid that subject matter until given the appropriate legal green lights.

With this my first post regarding my divestiture isn't a sad case, it actually turned out better than I expected, as life gave me sorta a reminder how sharing with the next gen sometimes brings back unexpected rewards of its own.

Many people have seen me post my Roger Clemens Donruss Crusades in Gem or Pristine condition.
Below are two of them I recently sold to a fellow Clemens Collector from the younger generation ( he's in his 40's so yeah -next gen to me).

Below that-- a card another fellow Clemens collector owned-- our very own @mindgone61008 (Chris Frost)
The collector I sold these two happened to be the lucky bidder when Chris sold. Since I have dupe raw purples- decided to work out a deal. I get cash to pay bills in my retirement, he sends me the slab also , and we both walk away fully satisfied with the transaction.

Other items may just go on certain sites as I don't want to choose favorites it just happened to work out this way on these two.

WHAT I PASSED DOWN TO THE NEXT GEN ( for cash and considerations of course)

full.jpg
full.jpg

WHAT CAME BACK HERE ( amazingly a card owned by fellow Clemens collector Chris Frost @mindgone61008)
I'll just release the PSA slab and get BGS to slab it and put it back in my registry with one of my dupe purples
full.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I appreciated that post. I can relate a bit to what you're saying.

Good luck in this new phase of your collecting.

Back in March of last year , the last vestiges of the WWII ties in my family died when the old man died at 81
Leaving me with just 2 or 3 living relatives of mine born at or before 1945. Next gen starts around 1958-64 with a bunch of boomers of which I'm part of, then continues to the 70's "baby" crew. I say "baby" but "baby" refers to a while bunch of "kids" who just hit 50+.

His death hit me more than I expected. Not in any sense of personal loss, but just smacked me topside my forehead when I realized who showed up at the funeral with their "grandchildren". Me sitting there thinking " I'm older than these people and these are grandchildren". Sorta smacked me topside a 2nd time when I then realized- crap- retirement sorta snuck up on me. I was way, way, way too busy working to know or pay attention to the fact I can claim retirement FULL 100% benefits in January of 2024. I still haven't even seen the VA guys about my disability yet either.

Took me a while to come to grips with that "mortality-it can leave at any minute" reminder. But its now firmly planted in my head. Reading up on some others who have undergone bypasses and other old man body abuse issues again reminded me of my age

Why does any of this matter? I've decided after being the caretaker of some rare items for nearly 50+ years in some cases to start divesting for retirement , and padding said retirement funds more than the paltry sums they currently are possessing. Oh, I'll still collect my favorites, just less of them, and sell off every single dupe I find .

I'm going to start posting some stuff in the usual places, and in a few instances may use a trusted 3rd party when the value gets excessive. I cant talk about the vintage as the lawyer wont allow it. But modern he's told me do as I wish- how little does he know. Although in several instances of modern where there are some touchy and thorny legal issues - well, I'll avoid that subject matter until given the appropriate legal green lights.

With this my first post regarding my divestiture isn't a sad case, it actually turned out better than I expected, as life gave me sorta a reminder how sharing with the next gen sometimes brings back unexpected rewards of its own.

Many people have seen me post my Roger Clemens Donruss Crusades in Gem or Pristine condition.
Below are two of them I recently sold to a fellow Clemens Collector from the younger generation ( he's in his 40's so yeah -next gen to me).

Below that-- a card another fellow Clemens collector owned-- our very own @mindgone61008 (Chris Frost)
The collector I sold these two happened to be the lucky bidder when Chris sold. Since I have dupe raw purples- decided to work out a deal. I get cash to pay bills in my retirement, he sends me the slab also , and we both walk away fully satisfied with the transaction.

Other items may just go on certain sites as I don't want to choose favorites it just happened to work out this way on these two.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Nice work. I want one of those for my Alomar PC.

I picked up a Dennis Martinez from an LCS dollar bin a while back just to have an example in the collection. They're definitely at the top of the 90's promo totem pole.

Picked up an Ozzie Smith I've been trying to track down for years and it didn't even hurt that bad on the bank account

1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview
View attachment 345858

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI

View attachment 345835
View attachment 345836

WHAT CAME BACK HERE ( amazingly a card owned by fellow Clemens collector Chris Frost @mindgone61008)
I'll just release the PSA slab and get BGS to slab it and put it back in my registry with one of my dupe purples
View attachment 345837

While I m not a slabbed/grading guy, I will commit to not removing the these from their homes, because they are comfy, and because the next " young guy" may appreciate tracing the slabs years from now😁.

Cant say I was seeking both cards or expecting the deal, but agree it worked out well for both parties. And by the way, even in my 40s, sadly I m trying to envision the "end game" on a room full of thousands of cards that took a lifetime to assemble.... for now I ll just look at them and enjoy them I hope.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
And following close behind those Clemens will be these Biggio's
I've only just started with what is local

I'm sad to stop on many sets I've been building, but the retirement thing is pulling me away
Just had a couple coworkers I worked over a decade with retire, and another get fired for being old and sick

PSA has not run a re-slab special in well over 2 years so not going to wait to re-slab a bunch of stuff
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Blacking out the serial number on ebay won't fly!!!!!!!! You will be bombarded with What is the F&*#ing serial number???

I black it only on message boards. I figure people can just pop on feebay and look up the cards .

The Biggio TGL Class 2 is 33/50 the Class 3 is 19/25.

Clemens Credentials 11/299 and Essential Credentials 20/99 which was in honor of his second 20k game. Liked that number.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

View attachment 345835
View attachment 345836

View attachment 345837
I'm ready to retire now, just a little too early unfortunately. When the time is right, it won't sneak up on me though. Been thinking about it for years now.

I figure my own purging will start around that time as well. I have a lot of stuff to get rid of after 45 years of collecting, with the last 25-30 years being very selective and having some discretionary funds to splurge a little here and there.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I'm ready to retire now, just a little too early unfortunately. When the time is right, it won't sneak up on me though. Been thinking about it for years now.

I figure my own purging will start around that time as well. I have a lot of stuff to get rid of after 45 years of collecting, with the last 25-30 years being very selective and having some discretionary funds to splurge a little here and there.
Wish you well with that. I did it. little at a time. i did find a collector who bought half of the 3000 or so cards i had.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Love the 1997 EX-2000 set, somehow I wasn't aware of that design until recently. Need to find some Yankees and Knicks. The Ewing looks specially sharp. I wasn't collecting then, I need to go through the sets that didn't feature O'Neill. The UD3 design is also cool. Bummed to miss out on some of the sets. I may need to go back and hunt down examples for my collection.

Here are my pickups,

1998 Donruss Signature Paul O'Neill Preview/Proof -- Bit the bullet on this. Remains unlisted on Beckett/TCDB. I don't usually buy backdoored/executive proofs, but this was different enough to pick up, not just xx/ numbering like many others.

PXL_20230307_004223835.jpg

1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars Orlando Hernandez RC Holographic Longevity Parallel 1/1 -- A 1/1 rookie card from 1998! Possibly one of the first 1/1 Yankee rookies ever released. Also just one of two 1/1s from his rookie year, the other is Sports Illustrated Extra Edition. Arguably this is the nicer of the two sets. I was excited to see this pop up after 25 years and likely overpaid to land it given its condition.

PXL_20230307_004441447.jpgPXL_20230307_004431444.jpg

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Love the 1997 EX-2000 set, somehow I wasn't aware of that design until recently. Need to find some Yankees and Knicks. The Ewing looks specially sharp. I wasn't collecting then, I need to go through the sets that didn't feature O'Neill. The UD3 design is also cool. Bummed to miss out on some of the sets. I may need to go back and hunt down examples for my collection.

Here are my pickups,

1998 Donruss Signature Paul O'Neill Preview/Proof -- Bit the bullet on this. Remains unlisted on Beckett/TCDB. I don't usually buy backdoored/executive proofs, but this was different enough to pick up, not just xx/ numbering like many others.

View attachment 346117

1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars Orlando Hernandez RC Holographic Longevity Parallel 1/1 -- A 1/1 rookie card from 1998! Possibly one of the first 1/1 Yankee rookies ever released. Also just one of two 1/1s from his rookie year, the other is Sports Illustrated Extra Edition. Arguably this is the nicer of the two sets. I was excited to see this pop up after 25 years and likely overpaid to land it given its condition.

View attachment 346119View attachment 346118
the El Duque is awesome.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008

Members online