Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
To my eye that looks like a regular base card. I just don't see how it's anything else, let alone a 1/1 Mirror Black.

The sides appear to have a mirror finish rather than the matte gray. That comes through on the picture, I don't think that can be done with just camera angle and filters. Perhaps a different camera angle could have brought out more of the shine than the scanner.

These were not labeled as mirror blacks. There are a few older posts on here and images on BaseballCardPedia, TCDB which have similar looking cards. Will try to post images.

I feel it was a great purchase by the buyer!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Actually, looking at my scans of base versus mirrors (and similar scans online), the silvery triangle areas on the left and right sides appear as white when it's a mirror, but as grey/black when it's the base card. So I think that listing really was a mirror black. Nice pickup by whoever bought it, yikes!

To my eye that looks like a regular base card. I just don't see how it's anything else, let alone a 1/1 Mirror Black.

Last edited:

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina

Attachments

• F183ED05-CC6A-41EA-8E5E-36A41B721397.jpeg
    F183ED05-CC6A-41EA-8E5E-36A41B721397.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 34

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Some 1990's insert stuff scanned

I remember the granddaddy of inserts- those 1990's Elites
Love them even today. This Boggs used to be a dupe in my Boggs BGS Registry PC
Decided to crossover and put in a PSA slab

Glavine and Konerko were two cards I set aside to slab years ago from a tin I broke open
I had a Griffey Bronze insert I slabbed right away- that one paid for the tin plus some
Left these forever to sit and said " I'll slab them down the road". Well- 14+ years later --sigh
So much dust was on these cards top loaders that I had to wipe using a damp paper towel
Sent off Dec last year and just got them back

The others same deal- enough dust to choke a horse- were in the HOF slab pile forever
The why behind that I have no clue tired of looking at them

Will use all sales on these 5 to help out Rich Klein , former Beckett Errors and Variations Guru, at his May Adat Chaverim show with door prizes
So they are going to a good cause
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
A post today for the 90's insert. Been addressing grading piles of stuff that sat 10+ years gathering dust
Cleaning up my old stuff so I can address old boxes full of dust collected items and handle or give away
Bunch had condition issues so they sat in the "rough" condition piles for over a decade or more

Cramers Green was an SGC crossover recently back
The 1999 E-X Century Milestones and 1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion have rough edges
That Ultra to me is well above what I'd have given it
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I still need the Ripken/17 Milestones of the Century to complete the set.

There was an in-person autographed copy on eBay last year, but I don't prefer IP autos on my PC cards.

I pulled a Kerry Wood/20 when the set debuted.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Love that Cramer's Choice card. Those things just flip my flop.

A post today for the 90's insert. Been addressing grading piles of stuff that sat 10+ years gathering dust
Cleaning up my old stuff so I can address old boxes full of dust collected items and handle or give away
Bunch had condition issues so they sat in the "rough" condition piles for over a decade or more

Cramers Green was an SGC crossover recently back
The 1999 E-X Century Milestones and 1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion have rough edges
That Ultra to me is well above what I'd have given it

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
The simplest of inserts make me smile the most as it brings me back to the days when very few people had internet connections and shows were still a big deal. Enjoyed me a weekly show somewhere, sometimes traveling several states over to attend one. Still cannot for the life of me remember where I put my unopened pack of these. They may be buried forever, or accidentally thrown out for all I know

I remember @clarkfan had some players - haven't seen him in a while :confused:
full.jpg
full.jpg

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
The simplest of inserts make me smile the most as it brings me back to the days when very few people had internet connections and shows were still a big deal. Enjoyed me a weekly show somewhere, sometimes traveling several states over to attend one. Still cannot for the life of me remember where I put my unopened pack of these. They may be buried forever, or accidentally thrown out for all I know

I remember @clarkfan had some players - haven't seen him in a while :confused:
View attachment 351049
View attachment 351050
These were ( and are) great. And attainable back then for even kids. I passed on an unopened set on fleabay. Be nice to have, but not the 50 dollar nice that it sold for to me.

You can still find them in 10 cent or quarter boxes at shows occasionally because they were assumed to be base cards or the dealer just doesn't care maybe. I still flip each one over when I se one box diving.

Last edited:

Members online