Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you consider Chrome releases as a parallel to the regular Topps/Bowman sets?

Do you consider Chrome releases as a parallel to the regular Topps/Bowman sets?

• Yes, they are parallels.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No, they are stand alone/unique sets.

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Do you consider the Chrome releases as a parallel of the regular Topps/Bowman sets? Or as a stand alone set?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Let's consider the elements:
Same front design?
Same back design?
Same player selection?
Same player photos?
Given the answer to these questions is generally yes, they can reasonably be considered parallels.

1998 Donruss Collections was a massive parallel set of all of the Donruss and Leaf sets that year, I don't see chrome being very much different.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
For what it's worth...

In 1975, Topps released the mini set exactly the same as the regular Topps set. There is no difference other than size. They are considered parallels.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Chrome does contain the rookie autograph subset, which regular Topps does not. Also, if I recall correctly, card numbers are slightly off between sets some years.

I consider Chrome a unique set, although it is also a "counterpart" to the regular Topps set.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
For what it's worth...

In 1975, Topps released the mini set exactly the same as the regular Topps set. There is no difference other than size. They are considered parallels.

I don't really understand why that is. They were released in pack form separate from the regular Topps issue, thus being a separate set from the 1975 Topps. I have always been under the assumption that parallels are cards that are inserted into the same packs as the "other" card, thus paralleling them.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
IMHO, If you're in a different set structure, different numbering structure, and in your own packs, you're a stand alone set.

Topps Traded Chrome in Topps Traded packs can be a parallel, whereas Topps Chrome in its own packs feels like a standalone set.

That throws Bowman with Chrome and Bowman Chrome draft in a strange situation, but since the real draw in those sets is the chrome auto subset, (sometimes a 45 card monster set) it feels like a standalone set, not a parallel.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I didn't expect the voting to be overwhelmingly one-sided. My opinion is much like uniquebaseballcards', the cards look identical despite coming in different boxes.

FCB has primarily prospectors/rookie collectors, who seem to devour the chrome products, but I wonder if the voting would be different among vintage collectors.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Cards that come in the same pack and are the same are a parallel. i.e. Collector's Choice with gold and silver signatures. Cards that do not come in the same pack are a different product. I hate how Topps uses the same pictures and everything for different products, but they are different.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its easiest to think of Chrome as being its own, different series within each respective, larger set.

Topps has: Series 1; Series 2; Updates and Chrome.
Bowman has: Bowman; Draft; Chrome and Chrome Draft.

Members online

Latest posts