Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Topps Heritage Extensive Preview with pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
The more I think about it, I don't like the minis either. The only way I would be okay with it would be a one per box ratio. That would drive the set collectors nuts and add incredible value to them.

The Lineage minis sell rather well and they were only a few a box. Can you imagine Heritage collectors going after minis if they fell one or two per box?

cparker94

Apr 17, 2010
It would be great if they limited the minis to one per box but I don't think they will. I'm afraid that the minis will only appeal to a select few. I just hope they don't seed them like they did with Bowman Heritage a few years back. I think it was 2006. I thought that there were way too common and the mini set just didn't appeal to me.

The more I think about it, I don't like the minis either. The only way I would be okay with it would be a one per box ratio. That would drive the set collectors nuts and add incredible value to them.

The Lineage minis sell rather well and they were only a few a box. Can you imagine Heritage collectors going after minis if they fell one or two per box?

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
If this is info is indeed correct, I am ending my Heritage runs with 2012 and focusing on completing the sets I have started (just as impossible.)

Gold refractors, gold parallels, 1/1 booklets, Andre Dawson (RC in 1977) autographs.... this isn't a Heritage set. It's Heritage, ATFF, Triple Threads and Topps Chrome all wrapped up into one bloated set that is biting off more than it can chew.

The real challenge to me is building a true master set, one of each card released. It's next to impossible with the last 12 sets, but it's doable with time and money. Parallels /5 are not conducive to set builders, they appeal to flippers who will not even think about keeping it for their collection.

Let's say you do manage to build the Gold refractor set, average $100 a card if you're lucky? $10,000 on that one parallel set, and good luck getting anything close to that if you ever decide to get rid of it for any reason. I'm happy to have just paid $20 for a 2004 Cliff Floyd Black Refractor, but there are few who would say the same. There are maybe a handful of people in the world who would ever even think of taking that card off my hands for that price right now.

It's been real and it's been fun and I love the cards I own, but I think it's time to draw the line.

Last edited:

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
If this is info is indeed correct, I am ending my Heritage runs with 2012 and focusing on completing the sets I have started (just as impossible.)

Gold refractors, gold parallels, 1/1 booklets, Andre Dawson (RC in 1977) autographs.... this isn't a Heritage set. It's Heritage, ATFF, Triple Threads and Topps Chrome all wrapped up into one bloated set that is biting off more than it can chew.

The real challenge to me is building a true master set, one of each card released. It's next to impossible with the last 12 sets, but it's doable with time and money. Parallels /5 are not conducive to set builders, they appeal to flippers who will not even think about keeping it for their collection.

Let's say you do manage to build the Gold refractor set, average $100 a card if you're lucky? $10,000 on that one parallel set, and good luck getting anything close to that if you ever decide to get rid of it for any reason. I'm happy to have just paid $20 for a 2004 Cliff Floyd Black Refractor, but there are few who would say the same. There are maybe a handful of people in the world who would ever even think of taking that card off my hands for that price right now.

It's been real and it's been fun and I love the cards I own, but I think it's time to draw the line.

Interesting take from a true heritage collector.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Great for rippers and flippers, sucks for set builders, team collectors and player collectors. IMO they should of limited the Gold Refs out of 25 so sets were actually possible.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009

I dunno mudflap. Would it be so bad if you just ignored the gold refractors & went about collecting Heritage as usual? Would it be so bad if, after buying a case worth of boxes, you stumbled across a Gold Ref of pujols #ed 5/5 & flipped it on Ebay for 700 & recouped 50% of your costs? doesn't sound worth giving up a multi-year project for does it?

As for the minis, I agree with most in that if there were no '64 minis that there shouldn't be any in Heritage. By the time '75 Heritage rolls around in what, 2024, folks won't even realize that there really were minis made in 1975.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
If I'm a Heritage collector, why would I flip one of the best cards I could pull out of the product?

I dunno mudflap. Would it be so bad if you just ignored the gold refractors & went about collecting Heritage as usual? Would it be so bad if, after buying a case worth of boxes, you stumbled across a Gold Ref of pujols #ed 5/5 & flipped it on Ebay for 700 & recouped 50% of your costs? doesn't sound worth giving up a multi-year project for does it?

As for the minis, I agree with most in that if there were no '64 minis that there shouldn't be any in Heritage. By the time '75 Heritage rolls around in what, 2024, folks won't even realize that there really were minis made in 1975.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Baseball cards didnt have any "chrome" on them in 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962 OR 1963.

No cloth, no bat chunks, no autographs either.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
If I'm a Heritage collector, why would I flip one of the best cards I could pull out of the product?
I dunno, Jeff. Like you said, you gotta draw the line somewhere. If you forsake the /5 golds, that still fits your definition of a master set and makes it somewhat attainable. Flipping that theoretical /5 Pujols to fit your end goal is a good play, imo.

Having said that, I also understand the thought process of pushing yourself away from the table and saying, "I'm done with this." I reached that point in '09 and haven't regretted it at all. I'll buy my yearly Dodger set from someone else who decided to lose money on cracking a case or 10 and save tons of money and aggravation. If a black refractor comes along for a steal, I'll nab it. If not, no biggie.

cparker94

Apr 17, 2010
I have to agree with Geordie on this. Collectors do have to draw a line because it is impossible nowadays to collect one of everything. I hope that you don't stop collecting Heritage in 2013 and beyond, Mudflap. You have been a big part of the Heritage collecting community for years and would hate to see you go. :)

Craig from Texas

I dunno, Jeff. Like you said, you gotta draw the line somewhere. If you forsake the /5 golds, that still fits your definition of a master set and makes it somewhat attainable. Flipping that theoretical /5 Pujols to fit your end goal is a good play, imo.

Having said that, I also understand the thought process of pushing yourself away from the table and saying, "I'm done with this." I reached that point in '09 and haven't regretted it at all. I'll buy my yearly Dodger set from someone else who decided to lose money on cracking a case or 10 and save tons of money and aggravation. If a black refractor comes along for a steal, I'll nab it. If not, no biggie.

Members online

Latest posts