Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1995 Finest Refractors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Ok, I know I'm not new to the hobby, but what's the deal with 1995 Finest Refractors? I mean, I can find a few commons on eBay because they're labeled wrong and get them cheap that way, but for the rest of the players, the prices are a little nuts considering at this point, the Finest brand is 3 years old.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
My guess is set collectors. Early year Finest refractors are popular. Same with Bowman Chrome. They are also harder to come by now and people may be willing to splurge a bit more as this stuff gets rarer and rarer (more people putting this stuff into personal collections and sets I'd bet with each passing year). There are also people who hoard this stuff and buy copy after copy of their guy.

I'd expect these type of inserts to just get more and more expensive as time goes by.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
For my player collection I found the '95 Finest Refractor the toughest to find other than the '93. I think there was a theory regarding the 1994 MLB players' strike resulting in decreased production of a lot of '95 product. I'm sure others on this board are more knowledgable about this than me though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've been looking at these for a while, too, as I've been thinking of building a set either of these or 93s. I think there was a dynamic working against the 95 set. The 93 set exploded, obviously, and the 94 set was kind of a dud, nowhere near the excitement of the initial release. In 95, I think dealers ordered less of it, both because of the previous lackluster effort, and the strike's aftershocks where the card market was still in cautionary mode. And then it wasn't heavily broken because it was IIRC the highest price brand at the time, and there was no real reward in it, no major RCs, no super-rare inserts, etc., so no real incentive to break multiple cases of it. And I'm not sure the coating that appeared that year didn't turn some people off, because the cards are dull with the coating on, but if you remove it it's not in 'original condition.' That lower supply, coupled with one of the nicest Finest designs, IMHO, and all the set building and player collecting that's removed so many from the market leads to a very low supply 17 years later.

As to pricing, this was one of the sets that sort of took off with set builders over the past few years. It's calmed down now, but I seem to recall a cycle a while ago that made it very popular and every refractor was salable and set builders were competing for them. And when player collectors see prices jump, they try to get their guy before it becomes too high, which adds to the competition. That lead to triple-digit pricing for some cards and the market is slow to let price-memory fade. Once the small group that is willing to spend whatever for a card has either got theirs or moves on, prices drop on auctions, but they don't for fixed price. So you see people trying to get $290 for a PSA 9 Griffey, which might've been possible once upon a time, but probably not today.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
if there are a lot of buyers like me I Try to pick up every puckett example that comes up because they don't show up often

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
i remeber when this set came out. i was just starting to collect cards then. I bought pack after pack. So many i was able to finish the set then i found out there are refractors in there. I didnt pull one. And believe me i got tuns of packs back then and I didnt pull not one. maybe they are hard to pull?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
There are a few people building sets and a couple others hoarding. I have an incomplete set which I am trying to figure out how best to sell. Singles sell well but I dont have the time and most consigners (who offer reasonable rates) dont wish to mess with selling 1 card at a time.

The print run is solid but the ROI has many people like myself leaving wax sealed. I am sitting on several cases of both Series 1 and Update. My guess is there are a bunch sitting in common boxes.

Anyone interested in my near set please feel free to drop me a line.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Gwynn's 95 refractor was way harder to find than any other, including 93... I finally dous Gwynn 95 at a small shop in Phoenix in '02. I was glad to pay the $20 asking price. 95's were not one per box were they?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Gwynn's 95 refractor was way harder to find than any other, including 93... I finally dous Gwynn 95 at a small shop in Phoenix in '02. I was glad to pay the $20 asking price. 95's were not one per box were they?

2/box (1:12 packs) in both Series 1 and Update.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Slightly off topic - can those uncut sheets be professionally cut? Is there anyone that does it? I mean, there's a good chunk of the set and the condition would be great, if done properly. Could result in some high grade cards too...

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I don't see the hype in these. Pretty ugly compared to the 93 imo.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Luckily I have the bagwell cause there's not a chance in hell I'd pay the amount wanted for these.

Members online

Latest posts