Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Sportlots still relevant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
What is the fee for a seller account?

The only fees for selling are a certain percentage they take out of your sales (for example, if you sell $50-$99.99 in a month, they take 27%, if you sell $100-$199.99, they take 23%, etc). The more you sell, the less the percentage they take. It's free to list in your store. It does costs $0.15 to list an auction, with no final value fees. I've been selling there for a couple years and have almost 70,000 cards listed. It is a bit tedious to list, but once you get things listed, they stay there.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Yes because they have a card I want. No because I don't want to give them my CC#. lol
you can pay with PayPal or send them a check.

I'm glad they're around. Like Eric, I had forgotten about them until recently. Just spent $25 there on a decent amount of modern-ish set fillers - killed off two of them in the process.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
The only fees for selling are a certain percentage they take out of your sales (for example, if you sell $50-$99.99 in a month, they take 27%, if you sell $100-$199.99, they take 23%, etc). The more you sell, the less the percentage they take. It's free to list in your store. It does costs $0.15 to list an auction, with no final value fees. I've been selling there for a couple years and have almost 70,000 cards listed. It is a bit tedious to list, but once you get things listed, they stay there.

There is also a tiered fee schedule for more expensive items. It makes it less than the flat fee.

Sent from my portable **** viewing device!

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA
In all honesty, the ONLY reason that they aren't more relevant is their lack of advertising dollars. They just don't put out the dollars that other online card sites put out. Everyone talks about COMC and what not, but I'd say 9 times out of 10, if sportlots has the card listed, it's cheaper than its competitors. At least I price my singles to be the cheapest around as their fee strucure allows me to be able to sell as such

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
As a buyer, I love Sporlots. I've placed ~40 orders over the years there. Only one problem (on a 75 cent card--was shipped in a PWE and got damaged). Conversely, I've had 2 orders on COMC and had one problem (more damage to a corner on a $9 card than was present on the COMC scan). When buying single RCs for IP autos, I would estimate my budget goes:

eBay: 23%
Sportlots: 75%
COMC: 2%

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
I used to sell on SL and would make a almost a sale a day. People still collect sets and low $ inserts in this hobby (I know...hard to imagine considering the content on these forums). SL is perfect for finishing up sets if you don't want to deal with trades.

I forget the guys name that runs it, but he lives in Green Bay I think, and he's pulling in enough dough to do this for a living. I imagine if he had the inclination he would advertise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
With some help with Jared, I have figured out a plan of attack for Sportlots.

Already have almost 100 cards listed and hope to have 300 by the end of day.

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
I use sportlots all the time to finish off sets and get base cards in quantity for cheap. It's a great site and I've had much better experiences on there than COMC.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
As a buyer, I love Sporlots. I've placed ~40 orders over the years there. Only one problem (on a 75 cent card--was shipped in a PWE and got damaged). Conversely, I've had 2 orders on COMC and had one problem (more damage to a corner on a $9 card than was present on the COMC scan). When buying single RCs for IP autos, I would estimate my budget goes:

eBay: 23%
Sportlots: 75%
COMC: 2%

You do have an option now of "budget" vs. "premium" shipping from sellers. The intention is that budget is likely shipped in a PWE (for low dollar, low volume orders) while premium is to be better protected. Me personally, I don't offer budget because I don't ship in PWE's.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
You do have an option now of "budget" vs. "premium" shipping from sellers. The intention is that budget is likely shipped in a PWE (for low dollar, low volume orders) while premium is to be better protected. Me personally, I don't offer budget because I don't ship in PWE's.

I don't offer it either for the same reason. I see no sense in it. If I put it in a pwe and it gets damaged I still have to refund the buyer even though they choose that as their shopping method. Rather not deal with the headaches. By the way for all you guys that sell there I hope you guys have upped your shipping charge to Canada.

sruchris

Jun 30, 2010
I use it to finish off sets. Also, I'm thinking about selling there as well as I have 20,000+ baseball doubles.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't offer it either for the same reason. I see no sense in it. If I put it in a pwe and it gets damaged I still have to refund the buyer even though they choose that as their shopping method. Rather not deal with the headaches. By the way for all you guys that sell there I hope you guys have upped your shipping charge to Canada.

Uh, I ordered some basketball cards called UD Glass or something like that and the guy that sold one to me didn't even put it in a top loader. Just sleeved it and shipped via pwe. I immediately sent him a message because the damn thing came cracked on half. He said he'd never seen a top loader big enough for these( even though they fit quite easily in a 130 with room to spare). In any case I tried to get a refund and was denied by sportlots as they said it was my fault for going with budget shipping.

So now, usually, if I order something, I'm ordering so much that budget is not even an option.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
I have never used Sportlots before but am very familiar with COMC. I like COMC as a buyer since you can purchase many items and just keep them waiting until you want them all shipped for $3! Is that how Sportlots is or do you have to pay each time you buy a card? I may have to check it out as a player collector I might find some cards I need. I have had a lot of luck with COMC.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I have never used Sportlots before but am very familiar with COMC. I like COMC as a buyer since you can purchase many items and just keep them waiting until you want them all shipped for $3! Is that how Sportlots is or do you have to pay each time you buy a card? I may have to check it out as a player collector I might find some cards I need. I have had a lot of luck with COMC.

If you're not too concerned about condition, Sportlots is awesome.

COMC sticks a .25 shipping fee on each card (you either pay it when you buy the card (simplified) or when you ship the card (advanced)).

That adds up pretty fast. On Sportlots, if you try to minimize the number of sellers you're buying cards from, you can really reduce your overall shipping fees. In those cases, Sportlots ends up more of a bargain than COMC.

Dec 4, 2008
As a seller, I cringe at a 18-27% fee structure on sportlots. The idea of wasting my time shipping 18 cent and 50 cent cards gives me a huge headache and I refuse to do it. I also get really frustrated as a buyer with low $ screw ups because I know I am not going to waste the time to chase a $1-2 card and will just as soon throw it in the garbage and move on than file a dispute. I have had literally 4 bad transactions out of about 15 in the past month - i.e. 1998 Pinnacle Epix where it is listed as the 'Moment' but the cheaper 'All Star Moment' is sent instead.

My business model for the past several years, as a seller, has been to have a ~4,000 item ebay inventory ($1 cards up to several $100, average is probably about $5-10 per) prepped in turbo lister, wait for a free listing promotion, and then fire away! I operate on a 'lowest available' basis, where I aim to under-price any fixed ebay listing for any given card. I have found that buyers come in on more of a random walk basis and it really is not necessary to progressively lower prices...you are only negotiating against yourself. If you are competitively priced, you just need to give it a shot at selling and create a readily-searchable clean titled listing.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I sell a few hundred a month there in base cards-cheap inserts so I would say it is relevant. I hate how slow it is to list there though.

And Eddie there are ways to look at a sellers inventory

Way old thread. I am lucky to break $100 lately but I also haven't put a lot of new stuff on there in months.

Members online

Latest posts