Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leaf's Mystery Redemption in Metal IS Johnny Manziel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
[h=2]Leaf’s Exclusive in Metal Draft Football is Manziel[/h] cgilmo / March 6, 2013 / No comments / Edit

In an email from The Leaf Trading Card Company they unveiled the Manziel with some really careful language. Here is the email.
Greetings to our customers…

First and foremost, thank you for your strong support of 2013 Leaf Metal and Leaf Valiant Football releases. As you may or may not be aware, these releases included a rare redemption card that can be exchanged for what we touted as one of the most exciting football cards in years! Leaf is pleased to announce that the cards issued as part of the redemption will begin shipping today…. As you can see, this is the first ever card depicting Johnny Manziel. This card features original 1/1 art work hand drawn/painted by the artist and an authentic cut signature. Each signature has been authenticated by PSA/DNA, and each card includes an authentication sticker on back. In addition, each card is slabbed by Beckett Grading Services for its protection.

Leaf wishes to clarify that neither the cards, the use of the signatures included in the cards, nor the artwork, is sanctioned or endorsed by the personality, his university, or any other organization or licensing body. The artwork is an original creation protected by the First Amendment. The cut signatures were obtained by Leaf from third parties. Neither Leaf nor its employees have met with, spoken to, or had any contact with the personality. The depictions on the cards are derived from unique artwork created by an artist under contract to Leaf. The cards represent the artist’s impressions of Johnny Manziel, which Leaf understands to be protected by the First Amendment.

We hope you enjoy what is certain to be one of 2013’s most exciting cards.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
The clear answer from the language is no. They could probably say that they didn't make money off of his name, likeness, etc., because the cards are redemptions released as a surprise after all the product was purchased...

So Manziel and his family are ok with you making money off his name and likeness?

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
The clear answer from the language is no. They could probably say that they didn't make money off of his name, likeness, etc., because the cards are redemptions released as a surprise after all the product was purchased...

But now that it is confirmed, won't people be buying the product hoping to hit it?

hohlernr

Dec 1, 2012
Michigan
Ok, and Johnny still received money for the things he signed, and I know that as fact. Brian can say whatever he likes, but not all of those were purchased from "third parties."

How do you know that as a fact? Do I doubt that he got paid, NO, but please share your insight.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
The Shadiness of Leaf continues.
Keep giving them your money though folks!
If BG claims he didn't pay Manziel for these, then BG is making money off of an unsuspecting college kid, which is just ludicrous and sad.
I don't care if this is within the rules of the NCAA or not. What is next? How about High School kids? Middle School kids? My 3 year old may be a hell of an athlete BG, can I get you some of signatures now or should I at least wait until Middle School?

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
How do you know that as a fact? Do I doubt that he got paid, NO, but please share your insight.
Aside from the obvious assumption that can be made off the number Chris posted above and the fact that a member here posted about seeing Brian walking around with stacks of Manziel signed photos at a Tri-Star show a couple months ago, I know individuals that have paid him for sigs in the past few months. Nearly every big college football player gets paid for autographs at some point in their college careers, they're just rarely caught.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
The Shadiness of Leaf continues.
Keep giving them your money though folks!
If BG claims he didn't pay Manziel for these, then BG is making money off of an unsuspecting college kid, which is just ludicrous and sad.
I don't care if this is within the rules of the NCAA or not. What is next? How about High School kids? Middle School kids? My 3 year old may be a hell of an athlete BG, can I get you some of signatures now or should I at least wait until Middle School?

This isn't a leaf issue man. Manziel has been on the take since his fame started and hasn't even tried to hide it. This is all about the bad choices made by that kid.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Setting aside the morals to it, does anyone else feel this was way oversold? Manziel is neat but does it really blow many people away?

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Is anybody else besides me NOT excited about these cards? IMO, I think that since the Leaf headquarters are in Texas that Leaf is used to hearing about Manziel quite frequently on the TV and on the radio. Me, I couldn't care less about these cards, they don't get me excited.

I think they're FAR from being "the most talked about and exciting cards of the 21st century" and "too big for the industry to handle" as Leaf claims they are.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
BG sold out Metal and Valiant way before today "The Annoucement Day" no one going in bought this product for the redemption, it is just an added bonus at 1 in 5 cases.

Members online

Latest posts