Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Whoops! Missed this post. Mel, if you want to start if off, that would be wonderful! Hopefully you can find 10 guys to participate. I appreciate your thinking of me for an early stop on the next go round.

If you guys dont mind I will; if we get a second run; to start the box from my end. Since I was the last one to have it before it went missing. If we collect cell numbers and all will like for a more senior member or a mod to keep that list.

Just let me know. Also will like to have lance and bill be the first two stops of the new box.

I think this device used to be called a phone; don't know anymore!

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Sucks that the honor system no longer works for some.
But this always seems to happen, makes it 80% of the way and then someone disappears with the box.
Cell phone number are a good idea, but will that really stop someone from running off with a box again?
I say if someone is honest and wants to prove their trustworthiness, if you want to participate, you should be willing to send a check to an admin or moderator for say $100. That check gets cashed, funds put in an escrow type account, once you have received and mailed onto the next party, you get your funds sent back. I know this idea wont fly with most, but how else is someone going to be held truly liable to mail the package on?
There always seems to be one bad apple in the bunch and you just never know whos apple that is..................

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sucks that the honor system no longer works for some.
But this always seems to happen, makes it 80% of the way and then someone disappears with the box.
Cell phone number are a good idea, but will that really stop someone from running off with a box again?
I say if someone is honest and wants to prove their trustworthiness, if you want to participate, you should be willing to send a check to an admin or moderator for say $100. That check gets cashed, funds put in an escrow type account, once you have received and mailed onto the next party, you get your funds sent back. I know this idea wont fly with most, but how else is someone going to be held truly liable to mail the package on?
There always seems to be one bad apple in the bunch and you just never know whos apple that is..................

That wouldn't be a bad idea. It'd be easier to just paypal gift a mod the $100 or whatever the amout is before it starts. Once you're paid up, it begins and once the box makes it to you and onto the next guy, the mod refunds your paypal. Pretty simple. If you're honest and want to participate, I don't see why anyone would not want to do this. Pretty simple if you're not going to run off with the box lol

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Not everyone has $100 to pony up, plus, it wouldn't have covered the "sell value" of the box anyway. Personally, I don't have $100 drop in an escrow account for the next round. If you all decide to go that route, I respect that, but I will have to sit out.

I also want to reiterate - I don't think Mike made off with the box of cards. Something went wrong and it wasn't theft. I'm almost certain of it. I just hope he will come back and fill us in at some point in the near future!

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
That wouldn't be a bad idea. It'd be easier to just paypal gift a mod the $100 or whatever the amout is before it starts. Once you're paid up, it begins and once the box makes it to you and onto the next guy, the mod refunds your paypal. Pretty simple. If you're honest and want to participate, I don't see why anyone would not want to do this. Pretty simple if you're not going to run off with the box lol

Yes, I forget about the paypal gift option instead of a check, that makes 100% more sense.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Not everyone has $100 to pony up, plus, it wouldn't have covered the "sell value" of the box anyway. Personally, I don't have $100 drop in an escrow account for the next round. If you all decide to go that route, I respect that, but I will have to sit out.

I also want to reiterate - I don't think Mike made off with the box of cards. Something went wrong and it wasn't theft. I'm almost certain of it. I just hope he will come back and fill us in at some point in the near future!

Bill, I dont think any of us are saying Mike took off with the box, but what is being said is it always seems to go this way, where it makes it 80% of the way and then disappears for whatever reason.
My idea was merely a suggestion to keep people honest. Yes we can all say we are honest, but as we have seen plenty of times in the past, even the good sometimes take the bad road. Hurt that bad apple financially and I bet that box never disappears again.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Really hoping this thing pops up in a mailbox...even without an explanation.

Two weeks MIA is definitely more than a standard hospital stay, etc...so if it's not outright thievery it's a far more serious issue.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I hope the box shows back up I've been lurking on this thread and figured I'd chime in. Maybe I'm niave but I really can't believe someone would run off with the box. If the box does show up please let me know if the little individual packs I had labled for Lancemoutain and Bill are still there. It wasn't much but it was meant for you guys so I hope you get them. Hopefully we hear something soon.

A_Pharis

Just so you guys know, he's been active on eBay.
Username: neighborhoodcardshop

FeedbackLeft forDate/time
iconPos_16x16.gif
Thanks! 5 stars across the board!Seller: Member id gunther713 ( Feedback Score Of 75985
iconShootPrpl_25x25.gif
)

May-19-13 06:39
-- (#360624727711)--View Item --
iconPos_16x16.gif
Great communication. A pleasure to do business with.Buyer: Member id 2001cvette ( Feedback Score Of 725
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)

May-17-13 13:39
RUSSELL WILSON 2012 CONTENDERS ROOKIE RC VARIATION ON CARD AUTO AUTOGRAPH /25 (#251268363671)--View Item

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Don't have $100 to particiape in round 2; but have tons of cards to start a box with. I'd be happy to start a box and move it around to person #2 -- or be a particiant. I'd also be happy to provide my cell number to whomever needs it. I'm a member of the B-Day board as well (screwed up once last year for 2 weeks but made it up in spades to the person) so I'm good on that as well.

Just let me know

Rich

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
To [MENTION=4449]sabrgeek[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2915]spikes[/MENTION] - I say go for it to BOTH of you. No reason we can't have several boxes flying around the country! :) I'm happy to participate in both. Just can't start the next one... yet.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
It's really frustrating that we have to always be on the look out for these random douches that can ruin a good thing. A great gesture of goodwill and camaraderie, then this.

At the base level...it's mail fraud and frankly, filing that is worthwhile assuming he doesn't reappear. If he's got the time an inclination to vote last week on a Facebook poll and pick up a few cards from eBay...he's had plenty of access to the web and/or email.

No excuse.

I'll go with the group here, but he's clearly not too sick, injured or too dead to respond, so a hammer should drop in the form of mail fraud.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's really frustrating that we have to always be on the look out for these random douches that can ruin a good thing. A great gesture of goodwill and camaraderie, then this.

At the base level...it's mail fraud and frankly, filing that is worthwhile assuming he doesn't reappear. If he's got the time an inclination to vote last week on a Facebook poll and pick up a few cards from eBay...he's had plenty of access to the web and/or email.

No excuse.

I'll go with the group here, but he's clearly not too sick, injured or too dead to respond, so a hammer should drop in the form of mail fraud.

I don't have a vote because I wasn't a participant this time but if I were, I'd vote yes.

A_Pharis

I'd expect some sort of reasonable explanation for - at least - the lack of communications. He's going to be facing suspension since this sort of disappearance landed Birdsfan a ban.

Edit: To clarify - I'm not saying he IS getting suspended, at all. I'm just saying that hopefully he understands the situation that is being caused - not necessarily by his not sending, but by the total lack of communication.

Last edited:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'd expect some sort of reasonable explination for - at least - the lack of communications. He's going to be facing suspension since this sort of disappearance landed Birdsfan a ban.

I think the notion of "facing suspension" just forces the person out. I'm not in the know, but has there been anyone that received a suspension due to behavior like this and actually come back?

Regardless, if the internet works...there's no "reasonable explanation" for the lack of communication. Zero. Sure, explanations may exist...but hardly reasonable.

Mike's a grown man, the easiest way is to forget the excuses and follow-through with shipping the package and move on.

He's most certainly been keeping up with this thread, so hopefully prior to a mail fraud filing...he'll take care of this.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I'm just saying there is precedence. I hope Mike is ok. I'm just saying that - given the activity on his end - that I hope there is a reasonable explanation.
Very strange. He never sent out my prize for his change in jar contest that i won more than a week before his last post. Not sure what happened to the box but really no excuse at this point.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
If you guys start another box I will donate a few cards. I don't need to be in the rotation but I can help build up a box.

Members online

Latest posts