Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball Prospectus Updated Top 5 Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
They just released an updated Top 50 but you have to be a subscriber to view.

Baseball Prospectus | Prospects Will Break Your Heart: The Mid-Season Top 50 Prospects

New Top 5:

1. Byron Buxton
2. Oscar Taveras
3. Xander Bogaerts
4. Francisco Lindor
5. Archie Bradley

Other notes detailed on Sickel's site:

Mark Appel [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#18[/URL]
Jonathan Gray #33
Julio Urias #41
Lucas Sims #50

Solid top 5, Buxton has certainly earned his share of hype. Not sold on him as #1 but he's certainly top 5 status. I am big on Oscar, Xander, and Lindor so nice to see them so high, especially Lindor. And a good argument could be made for Archie as the top pitching prospect but I'm biased for Taijuan as he's younger and now doing his thing at a higher level.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I'm pleasantly surprised by this as well. He hasn't exactly been a darling of prospect prognosticators or the casual fan who favors statistics. Such an aggressive ranking for Lindor is pretty refreshing.

I think its a testament to his overall game and he has so much room for growth. 30 walks and 30 K's and 18 stolen bases. his stats are impressive even with the fact he wasnt so great for a couple of weeks. there is almost nothing not to like about him...

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Did Brad Miller make the list?

I can't confirm this. However, if he were a legit SS defensively I think there would be a good possibility. Dude can hit, we all know that by now. Yet every game I've watched him play SS he makes me cringe at least 2-3 times, mostly on the routine grounders.

There is still a lingering question of what will ultimately be his everyday position, but I'm definitely hoping he can work out those issues and become our SS of the future.

The thought of this infield is something for M's fans to be excited about:
1B Peterson
2B Franklin
SS Miller
3B Seager

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I am a big Lindor fan but thats too high for a guy who has showed very little power. The rest of his game is stout but without much power he will be exposed in the bigs

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I can't confirm this. However, if he were a legit SS defensively I think there would be a good possibility. Dude can hit, we all know that by now. Yet every game I've watched him play SS he makes me cringe at least 2-3 times, mostly on the routine grounders.

There is still a lingering question of what will ultimately be his everyday position, but I'm definitely hoping he can work out those issues and become our SS of the future.

The thought of this infield is something for M's fans to be excited about:
1B Peterson
2B Franklin
SS Miller
3B Seager

I read a really interesting writeup yesterday on Brad Miller and playing shortstop, and comparing him to Jeter's first year at AAA and how that are very similar defensively (with the exception that Miller is two years older). I have watched almost every game he has played in Tacoma, and a majority at Jackson (MiLB is awesome) and you can really tell that Miller is a confidence player. I firmly believe he's going to stay at shortstop and be very successful defensively (obviously not as good as Ryan).

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I am a big Lindor fan but thats too high for a guy who has showed very little power. The rest of his game is stout but without much power he will be exposed in the bigs

Lindor's never going to flash much power as it's just not part of his game. As mentioned, his all around game is stout - defense and arm tools are already elite, hit and speed tools are plus - and 4 legit tools are just not that common. Jose Reyes has had a very nice career with a similar skill-set.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Reyes had alot more pop in his bat then Lindor has at this point. I am saying in the bigs he can be overpowered. I dont see him with alot of extra base hits in the bigs. I also believe we are touching on card values here. Is he gonna come up and hit a bunch of basehits and explode. I just dont see it and the Cleveland market stinks. I am invested in him but I honestly dont see a hobby star here.

Exposed for what? A .300 hitter who steals 30 bases with tons of doubles? Also, a gold glove caliber SS...

I'll take that exposure every day and twice on sunday.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Reyes had alot more pop in his bat then Lindor has at this point. I am saying in the bigs he can be overpowered. I dont see him with alot of extra base hits in the bigs. I also believe we are touching on card values here. Is he gonna come up and hit a bunch of basehits and explode. I just dont see it and the Cleveland market stinks. I am invested in him but I honestly dont see a hobby star here.

With almost zero fanfare his gem chrome base sell in the 60's. that with almost no real buzz. If you're talking from card values, its not a huge leap that its a 100 dollar chrome with some press...

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
can never see that happening, honestly. Carry this hype to the bigs, not gonna be easy. He has had plenty of buzz within the last year.

With almost zero fanfare his gem chrome base sell in the 60's. that with almost no real buzz. If you're talking from card values, its not a huge leap that its a 100 dollar chrome with some press...

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Gotta renew my BA subscription. Jason's prospect articles are always solid but he mixes in his own little touches so you know he's not just throwing out the same old list as everyone else.

Members online

Latest posts