Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What Should the Cubs accept from the Rangers for Matt Garza?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
So there has been quite a few names thrown out in the rumor mill, from Mike Olt, Martin perez, luke Jackson, Cj Edwards, and neil Ramirez. The most recent report was Mike Olt, Cj Edwards, and Neil Ramirez for Garza. So......If you are the Cubs, what would you want? Personally, I would really push to have Martin Perez included in the trade, but I also believe that Olt, Ramirez, and Edwards is a pretty good haul, though I would love for Luke Jackson to be included.

WaxPax

Seems like an overpay for the Rangers on a 2 month rental of Garza.....Another Segura et al for Greinke / Wheeler for Beltran deal in the making

So there has been quite a few names thrown out in the rumor mill, from Mike Olt, Martin perez, luke Jackson, Cj Edwards, and neil Ramirez. The most recent report was Mike Olt, Cj Edwards, and Neil Ramirez for Garza. So......If you are the Cubs, what would you want? Personally, I would really push to have Martin Perez included in the trade, but I also believe that Olt, Ramirez, and Edwards is a pretty good haul, though I would love for Luke Jackson to be included.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Nevermind.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 41s
I am now being told that Neil Ramirez wasn't scratched.Was given wrong information. My fault for not following up with 2nd source #apologies

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Nevermind.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 41s
I am now being told that Neil Ramirez wasn't scratched.Was given wrong information. My fault for not following up with 2nd source #apologies

Anyone else notice the Jim Bowden is TERRIBLE, and always wrong? I totally disregard everything he writes and reports.

skrip

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If I'm the Cubs, I'd be VERY happy with Olt, Ramirez and a couple other guys for Garza...a guy they should have never traded for in the first place IMO. The way I see it, they gave up a lot of good prospects for him, but it sounds like they could get an even better package of prospects when they trade him.

Olt has all-star potential...I think he's still rusty from his vision issue but his stats certainly don't do him justice since he basically couldn't see for the first month of the season. I think he will be a .265AVG/30HR guy who slots nicely into the 5 hole in any lineup in baseball.

Ramirez has been inconsistent through his career, but he has been very tough this season and has shown spots of dominance. I see him as a possible 2/3 starter if it comes together, and should easily be a 4/5 guy if it doesn't.

Those two alone would be worth making the trade...anyone extra is gravy. REALLY hope they get Olt and Ramirez.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
There's a reason why Jim Bowden is no longer a GM and he's no better at being a commentator than Steve Phillips was. I expect him to follow in Phillips' footsteps and be completely out of the game soon.

The Rangers have money coming out of their ears. Signing Garza to an extension would be no problem. Having said that, Olt, Edwards, and Ramirez would be a haul in my opinion.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Looks as though this might not happen after all.....

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 1m
Sources: Cubs-Rangers deal for Garza hits snag, no longer a certainty. While teams still negotiating, Chicago seeking alternatives to Texas.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Is Mike Olt, Neil Ramirez, and CJ Edwards better than Sam Fuld, Robinson Chirinos, Chris Archer, Hak Ju Lee, and Brandon Guyer? I'm definitely not sold on Olt, he had one good season and it seems his name gets dropped by the Rangers in any potential deal they try to make. It's almost like they want to get rid of him. He's hitting below his weight in the second most hitter friendly league in MiLB without the power you'd expect from a guy coming off a 28HR season. Ramirez is kind of in the same boat as Olt, except he's further removed from his stellar season (2011 as opposed to 2012) and is repeating the Texas League for the 3rd straight season after ending 2011 in AAA. At what point does he make the jump from upper level minor leaguer to bona fide big leaguer? I'm a big fan of Edwards but he's the biggest wild-card here in that you don't exactly know what you are going to get. If I'm Theo Epstein, I want something proven (Martin Perez) or I don't play ball, which is probably why this deal has hit a snag. Personally, I think the Rays haul was much better than the potential players the Rangers would be giving up to get Garza. I also think the longer Theo waits the better this package gets. He shouldn't be in any hurry to make a deal, somebody else could come knocking in a week with a better package than Olt, Ramirez, Edwards.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Typical Bowden

The prospective trade broke down over the medicals of one player, tweets Bowden. He says that the clubs are "working hard" to re-formulate the deal with a replacement piece. Quite the opposite is true, according to Sullivan, who writes that "right now there is nothing happening" and that "tonight is not the night."

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Is Mike Olt, Neil Ramirez, and CJ Edwards better than Sam Fuld, Robinson Chirinos, Chris Archer, Hak Ju Lee, and Brandon Guyer? I'm definitely not sold on Olt, he had one good season and it seems his name gets dropped by the Rangers in any potential deal they try to make. It's almost like they want to get rid of him. He's hitting below his weight in the second most hitter friendly league in MiLB without the power you'd expect from a guy coming off a 28HR season. Ramirez is kind of in the same boat as Olt, except he's further removed from his stellar season (2011 as opposed to 2012) and is repeating the Texas League for the 3rd straight season after ending 2011 in AAA. At what point does he make the jump from upper level minor leaguer to bona fide big leaguer? I'm a big fan of Edwards but he's the biggest wild-card here in that you don't exactly know what you are going to get. If I'm Theo Epstein, I want something proven (Martin Perez) or I don't play ball, which is probably why this deal has hit a snag. Personally, I think the Rays haul was much better than the potential players the Rangers would be giving up to get Garza. I also think the longer Theo waits the better this package gets. He shouldn't be in any hurry to make a deal, somebody else could come knocking in a week with a better package than Olt, Ramirez, Edwards.
The problem with your assessment is time. The Rangers only get 2.5 months of Garza(if he stays healthy) and no draft pick compensation if he leaves as a FA. The Cubs waited too long to try to trade him.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Cubs want TOO much they effed this up big time (as usual). I wouldn't trade more than a mid level
prospect for him. At this point the Cubs HAVE to trade him for little to nothing since they already told his agent he was gone.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Cubs want TOO much they effed this up big time (as usual). I wouldn't trade more than a mid level
prospect for him. At this point the Cubs HAVE to trade him for little to nothing since they already told his agent he was gone.

I believe the Cubs made the right decision in telling his agent they were going to trade him, if I was a player I would want to know. I believe Garza screwed over the Cubs by announcing it and in theory reducing his trade value. I still believe the Cubs will get more than what you expect for Garza especially if the Rangers or team traded to can get a contract extension guaranty

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I agree it was the right thing to tell him,however you lose a lot of leverage in doing
so. He wil get traded no doubt but for a rental its just not worth a whole lot. ( A contract extension is rare
in trades especially a guaranteed extension)

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I think the Cubs would be better off letting the Astros trade Lucas first and then play Garza to a team within the same division that got Harrell. A lot can chance in two weeks and the Cubs are acting like the trade deadline is Monday.

Latest posts