Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF results are in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
We can agree to disagree. I'd put Gehrig, Foxx, Greenberg, Pujols, Eddie Murray, Sisler, Killebrew all definitely ahead of Bagwell. And I'd have to look at numbers closely to compare him to the guys I'd say he falls in a category with like Carew, McCovey, Thome(Although I'd rank Thome ahead based on pure great power numbers) and the likes.

I think the HOF should be a special place for the best of the best. Bags wasn't the best of the best. Plain and simple. He was very good but never the best and didn't quite reach certain statistical plateaus.

Absolutely. I could definitely see Gehrig, Foxx, Greenberg, Pujols, McCovey, and Thome ahead of Bagwell. I would struggle with the others but that is just me. But even putting all 9 ahead of him, it seems awfully tough to say there have only been 9 elite first baseman to play the game since WWI (I excluded Carew as while he played a few more games at 1B, his prime was spent at 2B). I lean towards a small Hall kind of guy but that just seems a bridge too far IMO. But I get it.

I worry that we are missing something when the Hall is so weighted towards guys that played over 50 years ago. That just doesn't pass the smell test and I think we fall victim to romanticizing the old timers at the expense of the immense talent right in front of us. Not to mention running the risk of turning younger generations away from any interest in a HOF that honors so few of the guys they watched growing up.

Greenberg is an interested comparison and I don't see how Bagwell's stats could fall short if the same conclusion isn't reached for Greenberg. By stats, I assume most people are talking about counting stats and Bagwell exceeds him in every single one except for triples. As far as rate stats, Greenberg had an OPS+ of 158 and Bagwell was 149 so in the ballpark. Greenberg was probably a slightly better hitter with Bagwell better on the bases and in the field. Greenberg was basically Frank Thomas with a shorter career. Actually, I think all three of them created very similar value but Thomas' career lasted longer than Bagwell's whose career lasted longer than Greenberg's. Voters obviously extrapolated some for Greenberg to think what his counting stats would have looked like if he could have played longer - quite a bit actually. Not sure why the same isn't being done for Bagwell.

As for Murray, he only looks better because he played five extra years where he was a less than average 1B - a dreaded compiler (my second least favorite term when it comes to HOF discussions just behind Hall of Very Good). During Murray's last 6 years (his age 35-41 seasons), he created 4.4 WAR which is barely higher than Bagwell's last full season (age 36) of 3.6 WAR. Murray put up 125 HR's and 544 RBI's during those years he was basically hanging on. That is the only reason his counting stats look better than Bagwell's. And I have no problem with guys hanging on. But given Bagwell was a better hitter from ages 21 - 36 (career OPS+ of 151 vs 135 as of the end of their respective age 36 seasons), his counting stats would have easily surpassed Murray's with equal career lengths. I'm not saying you should play the what-if game in all circumstances - but Bagwell was putting up excellent numbers until 36, not some guy that had a career ending injury at age 27. And it is completely reasonable to assume Bagwell would have put up age 38-41 numbers that were at least as good as Murray's which means 63 more HR's for one. Murray deserves some extra credit for durability and I could see an argument that is enough to draw him about even with Bagwell. But at the very least, Bagwell is in his same class.

I'm not sure why people forget how dominant of a run Bagwell had or that they don't think of him as one of the best of his era. His 10 year run from 1994 - 2003 put him as one of the very best offensive players in the NL during that time and definitely the best at his position. Bonds is the only one who was definitely better than him during that time and only a few others have arguments (Chipper, Piazza, Biggio, probably a couple others). The best in the league at one's position for 10+ years, plus multiple other years of above average prodution is a HOF'er in my book.

I think this table does a good job of quickly putting Bagwell into the context of where he rates all time among 1B. I don't take these rankings as gospel but they do a great job of shedding light on where guys generally fall out when compared to others at their positions.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_1B.shtml

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not saying he's been "implicated" or anything of that nature. What I'm saying is he has been talked about among other steroid users and people have said that he is under the suspicion of using. Whether or not he did, I honestly have no idea. He was connected to steroids at least somewhat (there are tons of articles out there if you do a google search) which hurts his candidacy. I'm not saying that it should or shouldn't but that along with the fact that he wasn't a HOF player doesn't get him into the hall IMO. If he would've been able to get to 500 HR's I think he's in for sure. He falls a little short in my book.

"you're argument is dead in the water." So your the argument police and I'm not allowed to have an opinion that is different than your own about your PC player getting into the hall? Okay...

You said Bagwell has had issues of being accussed of steroids. This would have been a major headline around here. I'm asking you to show that to me. And I'm not talking about some blog some fifty year old dude living in his mom's basement wrote three days ago while he was bored.

That's why I say that it's dead in the water. The rest of your opinion is dang near in line with mine. And yeah, I collect Bagwell. But I'm also a realistic person. Do not for a minute confuse me with some homer who can't keep my fandom out of the way of rational thought.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Like this post.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

I like it too. Except Bagwell was one of those top 3. So uh...we didn't get anywhere with that.

All this debate aside, I am not just angry about Bags. I'm mad because wth where they thinking when it came to Piazza? Or Biggio? I've been watching as much coverage as I can and a lot of the things these voters are saying is starting to make the reports I'm hearing true. A report earlier said the BBWAA is starting to make the vote more about themselves and grandstanding than anything else. And I'm inclined to believe it. One voter said one of the reasons he did not vote for Biggio this year(keep in mind he was two votes shy) was because he only votes for the top 3-4 guys that are eligible every year. And he said last year Biggio was one of those top guys but this year there were 3-4 who were better. So he left him off. Dude...you voted for him as a Hall of Fame type player. Now he's not because you are easily distracted by other bright and shiny things? This leads me to believe that a lot of these writers should not have a vote. If a guy is a Hof'er is is a Hof'er. This is just dumb.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
You said Bagwell has had issues of being accussed of steroids. This would have been a major headline around here. I'm asking you to show that to me. And I'm not talking about some blog some fifty year old dude living in his mom's basement wrote three days ago while he was bored.

That's why I say that it's dead in the water. The rest of your opinion is dang near in line with mine. And yeah, I collect Bagwell. But I'm also a realistic person. Do not for a minute confuse me with some homer who can't keep my fandom out of the way of rational thought.

I corrected it in a later post. I meant talked about with suspected steroid use. Not accused. Thats my mistake. There are plenty of articles about him being suspected but yes I agree he's never been accused.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I corrected it in a later post. I meant talked about with suspected steroid use. Not accused. Thats my mistake. There are plenty of articles about him being suspected but yes I agree he's never been accused.

I know. I read what you wrote. Just trying to make it clear why I said what I said. Didn't want to come off as opinion police. The sad part is people are voting on assumptions only now.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I like it too. Except Bagwell was one of those top 3. So uh...we didn't get anywhere with that.

All this debate aside, I am not just angry about Bags. I'm mad because wth where they thinking when it came to Piazza? Or Biggio? I've been watching as much coverage as I can and a lot of the things these voters are saying is starting to make the reports I'm hearing true. A report earlier said the BBWAA is starting to make the vote more about themselves and grandstanding than anything else. And I'm inclined to believe it. One voter said one of the reasons he did not vote for Biggio this year(keep in mind he was two votes shy) was because he only votes for the top 3-4 guys that are eligible every year. And he said last year Biggio was one of those top guys but this year there were 3-4 who were better. So he left him off. Dude...you voted for him as a Hall of Fame type player. Now he's not because you are easily distracted by other bright and shiny things? This leads me to believe that a lot of these writers should not have a vote. If a guy is a Hof'er is is a Hof'er. This is just dumb.

Piazza is one I don't get at all. He is undeniably the best hitting catcher of all-time. He made 12 All-Star games in 13 years, and only missed one due to injury. And while he was never great at throwing out runners, he was always solid at blocking the plate and the like. I imagine it would shock people based on the flack he got because of his poor throwing but Piazza actually had a positive WAR for his career.

An interesting article which explains why he was drafted so late:
http://www.amazinavenue.com/2014/1/9/5290422/mets-mike-piazza-steroids-hall-of-fame-backne

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Piazza is one I don't get at all. He is undeniably the best hitting catcher of all-time. He made 12 All-Star games in 13 years, and only missed one due to injury. And while he was never great at throwing out runners, he was always solid at blocking the plate and the like. I imagine it would shock people based on the flack he got because of his poor throwing but Piazza actually had a positive WAR for his career.

An interesting article which explains why he was drafted so late:
http://www.amazinavenue.com/2014/1/9/5290422/mets-mike-piazza-steroids-hall-of-fame-backne

Great read.

I love that bacne is what everyone users to lump Piazza in with steroids.

Did McGwire and Sosa have it?

They were the two biggest monsters in the game.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Great read.

I love that bacne is what everyone users to lump Piazza in with steroids.

Did McGwire and Sosa have it?

They were the two biggest monsters in the game.

I found the info about him being assessed as a 1st baseman was really interesting. Having played his whole career as a catcher I never really would have thought of that, but it's certainly true that it takes a far better prospect to be considered at 1st base...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I found the info about him being assessed as a 1st baseman was really interesting. Having played his whole career as a catcher I never really would have thought of that, but it's certainly true that it takes a far better prospect to be considered at 1st base...
I can't find the quote, but I think it was on the MLBN Prime 9 episode about catchers that they show footage of Lasorda talking about how he convinced Dodger's ownership that he could turn Piazza into a catcher. Something along the lines of..."We can't take him as a first baseman."..."Well can you take him as a catcher?"..."Sure"..."Well then, he's a catcher."

Members online

Latest posts