Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett suing COMC over database

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
A customer asked me why his 2015 Heritage chrome black refractor Samardzija books $120 yet his base heritage chrome books $4.

I figured it was a typo but tweeted Olds about it and he told me it has ALREADY been fixed for the online pg.

Now that's fast!

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Given Paul Lesko's follow up piece about the ownership of checklist copyrights, I posted a question on most of the main card producers' Facebook pages asking if they would be willing to make some sort of public statement regarding their stance on the copyright status of checklists of their products. I really don't expect any responses, but I'm hopefully at least [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION] will say something.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Given Paul Lesko's follow up piece about the ownership of checklist copyrights, I posted a question on most of the main card producers' Facebook pages asking if they would be willing to make some sort of public statement regarding their stance on the copyright status of checklists of their products. I really don't expect any responses, but I'm hopefully at least [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION] will say something.

That is an interesting article. Please let us know if any of the card companies reply to your messages. They could possibly shut some of this down if perhaps Topps or Panini would make a statement on this.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I know I got beckett to add 2 sets they didn’t have to the org 1996 Leaf Preferred Steel Bronze Promos and 1996 Upper Deck Folz Minis and gave them the correct numbering for 1997 Score Jumbos and what they did for mewas make it where they look at my post before letting me make a post on the forms. I asked a mod and the only thing that happened was my post was added. I will respond only to see it take a few hours to be posted. I am disgruntled with beckett and have not given a dime to them for an org or anything else for a few years now besides grading and I only use them for grading my PC item’s as anything I want to sell I would go through PSA because they sell better. All I use those form's for are to show off a few things and give progress to some other members there that are not on other forms I would consider a friend. Beckett is nothing and most of the people have moved on to other places.

Last edited:

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I agree that Zistle unfortunately will probably go away as they have little to no revenue (guessing) and there is an actual claim since people were/are just copying Beckett and pasting there.

As a frequent contributor on Zistle (I am number 3 all time on their rankings) I can tell you that the checklists I use and upload are pulled from other sites or hand-entered myself. In fact, the only way to upload checklists in quantities is using .csv files and to my knowledge that can't be done with a Beckett checklist.

It really pisses me off because I am on the side of checklist data being open data. It is public information issued by the card companies. Now if Beckett had some patented search algorithm, then that would be protected, but the data itself is public use. It is just pathetic if you ask me. I hope Josh and Ashley wipe the floor with Beckett.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
In fact, the only way to upload checklists in quantities is using .csv files and to my knowledge that can't be done with a Beckett checklist.

All it takes is a little select & copy from the webpage, paste to notepad, clean up, copy & paste into Excel, save as CSV. Unfortunately, most people fail to properly clean up the data before uploading it somewhere else. I think that is the main reason why now you can only view 25 cards at a time if you are not logged in, to make it more time consuming for people to just scrape the data off their site. I seriously doubt anyone but COMC bothered to work out an automated way to scrape the data, and they did it with Beckett's blessing and assistance, which makes it even more absurd for Beckett to now sue them for something they had contract to do.

Members online

Latest posts