User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB replay is already faulty...

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MLB replay is already faulty...

MLB replay officials blow call everyone at home could see | Big League Stew - Yahoo Sports

No reason the 2B ump didn't see the call, let alone the replay officials.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that was pretty pathetic...should have been overturned. Sadly this is not the only instance of a replay challenge being called incorrectly. The replay system as a whole has been an incredible failure and honestly it should be taken out as a whole because it just does not work. Having replays for home runs is fine, but nothing good has come from the replay system, it needs to go.
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions! #BostonStrong

-Thanks to JBel4331 for the sig

richandsheryl
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would appear the ump did not see the foot coming off the bag. But man the Reply dude totally blow that call for sure. Even after Slowed it down I seen the tag when the foot was off the bag

dragsy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he asked the ump for time first, on the way up?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Tar View Post
    It would appear the ump did not see the foot coming off the bag. But man the Reply dude totally blow that call for sure. Even after Slowed it down I seen the tag when the foot was off the bag
    Even worse is the announcers didn't see it until the last time they showed the play......in very slow motion.

I can see why the 2nd base ump wouldn't catch it. It happened very quickly and the angle he was at, it could be seen as "sliding" the foot over the bag.

Replay showed he was out. I guess that ump was on the Yankees payroll.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a believer replay has been faulty since opening day, because I can't explain why MLB in its promises of replay transparency do not list replay umpires in the box score. What is MLB hiding about the replay process?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was almost as bad as the Elliot Johnson "no catch" in the Indians-Padres game last week. He caught the ball, hit the wall, turned, and dropped it in the transfer - yet it was ruled a no catch. Everyone with baseball on their iPhone could see it was, yet the replay umps still blew it.

I have a distinct feeling that it's a case of "we're all umpires and we can't make everyone realize how many calls we really do blow, so maybe we should uphold them every so often even when they're wrong..."

@DARRONHICKS
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt even want MLB to give replay a chance, it is a slow still flawed system that is taking a human element from the game. Even with replay calls are wrong so why waste the 5 minutes 2 times, 3 times a game.
    CLICK BELOW TO VIEW MY COLLECTION

Signature courtesy of JBel4331

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the fact that you are all complaining about replay means it's actually working, and your standards have immediately increased. Every replay call that they get wrong would have been wrong before replay. Every call they get right via replay is just one more instance of them "getting it right", which was the intent all along.

Now, I can see the point that they may purposely get calls wrong still to deaden the blow of the realization of HOW bad umpires have been this whole time. If you like bad calls and want to call it the "human element", that's fine, and I would NEVER advocate for electronic pitch tracking; but as the comparative statistics grow, people will start to question the need for umpires at all.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PujolsCollector View Post
    I didnt even want MLB to give replay a chance, it is a slow still flawed system that is taking a human element from the game. Even with replay calls are wrong so why waste the 5 minutes 2 times, 3 times a game.
    Average replay is under 2.5 minutes (2 min 16 sec thus far). And if it is flawed, wouldn't than mean it still has a human element? The argument desiring errors is just ridiculous. "I like it that mistakes of people who are not on either team can help decide who wins a game." That makes no sense.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpenko826 View Post
    That was almost as bad as the Elliot Johnson "no catch" in the Indians-Padres game last week. He caught the ball, hit the wall, turned, and dropped it in the transfer - yet it was ruled a no catch. Everyone with baseball on their iPhone could see it was, yet the replay umps still blew it.

I have a distinct feeling that it's a case of "we're all umpires and we can't make everyone realize how many calls we really do blow, so maybe we should uphold them every so often even when they're wrong..."
    That was not a mistake. The MLB has changed the interpretation of the rule this season (which I believe is a mistake by the league). That same rule has occurred on several other plays this season. Hamilton caught a fly ball as well and dropped on transfer, and Elvis dropped one on the transfer for a double play. Both times the play was ruled no catch and confirmed. This year players have to get the ball out of their glove with the throwing hand having possession. I think the rule change is messed up, but the umpires are not wrong.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    I've been a believer replay has been faulty since opening day, because I can't explain why MLB in its promises of replay transparency do not list replay umpires in the box score. What is MLB hiding about the replay process?
    The replays are all conducted in a single location by a small staff of MLB umpires. They handle all the replays across the league, and I know the head of the office has been revealed at least. I don't know what you think they could be hiding...?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty216brs View Post
    Yeah that was pretty pathetic...should have been overturned. Sadly this is not the only instance of a replay challenge being called incorrectly. The replay system as a whole has been an incredible failure and honestly it should be taken out as a whole because it just does not work. Having replays for home runs is fine, but nothing good has come from the replay system, it needs to go.
    Taking under 2.5 minutes on average to get more calls right is a bad thing? I have heard of one single replay failure.

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    What is MLB hiding about the replay process?
    MLB is outsourcing its umpires from other countries just like Dell or HP does with tech support.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstraps9 View Post
    Taking under 2.5 minutes on average to get more calls right is a bad thing? I have heard of one single replay failure.
    Wow, then apparently you don't watch much baseball......
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions! #BostonStrong

-Thanks to JBel4331 for the sig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast