Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Inter-sport rivalries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
So, I was driving behind a car today that had a Philadelphia Phillies bumper sticker on one side, and a Washington Redskins bumper sticker on the other. How do you feel about that? To me it violates some kind of inter-sport rivalry. How can you like an NL east team from Philly and an NFC east team from Washington? To me: does not compute. Is it just me? How do others feel about it?

hrbek14

Jan 27, 2013
Waconia, MN
My stance is like whatever teams you want. People have different connections to certain teams, players, etc. regardless of where they're from or currently located and I find the "rules" created/discussed by Bill Simmons as silly. I'm more against bumper stickers in general, so that part really pisses me off.

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
Like how I'm a twins fan and a Packers fan?

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Like how I'm a twins fan and a Packers fan?

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

As am I.
Drives me bat **** crazy when people find out Im a Packers fan and I live in the Twin Cities and am asked, Werent you born in Minnesota? I say I sure was, wasnt my decision as to where I was born, thats my Mothers fault :lol: and it doesnt mean I have to be a Minnesota sports fan thru and thru?
I hated the Vikings as a kid, went to college in WI, fell in love with the Packers, fan to this day.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I'm a die hard Reds and Browns fan as my grandparents lived closer to Cincy (Reds) than Cleveland (Indians) back in the day and the Browns were the first Ohio football team to root for. I don't dislike the Indians but I hate the Bengals with the fire of a thousand suns.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Ok, guess I was misguided in my assumptions, haha
Sports allegiances run through families for decades. When I explain my Browns fandom to Reds fans I get funny looks but I never had a choice. I was Bernie Kosar for Halloween in 1989 and never looked back!

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I find the "rules" created/discussed by Bill Simmons as silly.

The link for those that haven't seen it (not sure when it was released, but it is quite old):
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020227

I actually like most of the rules, guess you're complaining about this one:

18. If you live in a city that has fielded a professional team since your formative years, you have to root for that team. None of this, "The Bengals weren't very good when I was growing up in Cincy, so I became a Cowboys fan" crap.

Growing up in Tucson, AZ and getting no real influence from my parents concerning sports teams I picked, for various reasons in the mid 90s, the Cubs, Knicks, Seahawks, and Avalanche. I get some confusing looks when I mention this random assortment of teams and usually get asked which of the cities I'm from.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I am a fan of the Cubs, Pistons, 49ers, and Blackhawks. I grew up in the Bad Boys era and hated the Bulls, which was strange to many since I was a Cubs and Blackhawks fan.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I love all Houston teams. But a lot of people around here became Cowboys fans when the Oilers split. I don't really care but it's not my cup of tea.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I grew up in northwest Oregon and started paying attention to sports in the mid 70s. No Seahawks, no Mariners. I became a mostly LA fan. Thought the Rams unis were cool, and then Jack Youngblood played in the '79 Super Bowl with a broken leg and I was done! Became a Dodgers fan because back then it seemed the only teams playing on the Game of the Week on NBC were the Yankees, Reds and Dodgers. Well, nobody in their right mind roots for the Yankees, and my best friend Eric would. not. shut. up. about Pete Rose and the Reds. So I chose the Dodgers. All that being said... I despise the Lakers. Oregon didn't (still doesn't) have much, but we do have our Trailblazers. I haven't lived in Oregon for 34 years, but I'll always root for Rip City.

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I entirely disagree if you have parental or grandparental roots where you are born/live. Bring your fandom with you. Let em live.

Having not grown up in a city with pro teams, and a state that didn't get NFL/MLB/NHL teams until after my birth, I can't really comment on being from the city, but at times it seems it'd be nice to cheer for common teams, especially ones like Pittsburgh that have similar colors (except I can't stand any of their teams).

The fans I can't stand:
I have a buddy from the LA area that actively cheers for both the Dodgers and Angels.

I have a female friend (mid to late 20s) who posts on FB consistently about her favorite teams...the Yankees, Cowboys, and Lakers. I can't for the life of me comprehend how that is even legal.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts