Thread: All-time Milwaukee Brewers Autograph Project

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early morning sources say congratulations to Taylor Williams
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Baltimore (Chicago and Milwaukee at heart)
     jlklemp28
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, this is super impressive and it's good to see the Brew Crew getting so much love on these boards, if only from one collector.

Fun story for you...Jerry Augustine opened his own insurance agency in West Allis after he retired from baseball, and my grandpa was one of his clients. Most people would only visit their insurance agent when they had business to take care of, but my grandpa was a very personable and talkative guy, and he just kind of made friends with all the people he did business with all over Milwaukee. (I remember there was the coin shop guy, the mechanic, the furniture store guy, and the flea market manager guy (who also collected cards and gave me a 1987 Fleer Update McGwire when I couldn't find it at any of my LCSs).)

Being that my grandparents lived just 4-5 blocks away, my grandpa used to pop in and say hi and chat with Jerry for a good 30 minutes or so about baseball and other randomness like the weather and whatnot. He took me with him a bunch of times and I remember Jerry kept a big stack of his 1984 Topps card in his top desk drawer. Before we left he always took one out and signed it for me. I imagine those visits got to be a burden sometimes as he probably had a lot of work to do, but he always took the time to chat, always kept a smile on his face, and never rushed my grandpa out the door. Super stand-up guy.

Anyway, I ended up with about 5 or 6 of those 1984 autos. I still have them with all my other Brewers autos (not nearly as big a collection as you got!). I'm happy to send you one if you'd like to diversify your collection some.

Keep up the good work and let me know!

Jake
    Warren Spahn // Austin Jackson // 2012 Press Pass Showcase Masterpieces
    //
    2007 SP Rookie Edition Autos //2008 Masterpieces: Patch & Patch Auto, Relic
    & Relic Auto, Stroke of Genius, & Color Parallels (Red, Blue 125, Brown 100, Green 75,
    Blue 50, Silver 25, Gold 10, & Blue 5) // My Gallery

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jake! I'll take a look, I feel like I might have an '84 as well in a binder. Augie sounds like a great guy and it actually seems like a bunch of those early 80s players are so humble, approachable, and genuine individuals. The Midwest seems to bring out the best in people, especially the locals, more often than not! And there's at least a couple of other Brewer die hards lurking around the site from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an awesome project!

Have you found any autos of your ace, Jimmy Nelson? Dude is a monster and doesn't get the credit he deserves. Sabermetrically (fangraphs) speaking, this season he's been the 2nd best pitcher in the NL

4.8 fWAR - 2nd NL
    3.05 FIP - 4th NL
    3.13 xFIP - 3rd NL
    10.1 K/9 - 5th NL
    192 Strikeouts - 3rd NL
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All-time Milwaukee Brewers Autograph Project

Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    This is an awesome project!

Have you found any autos of your ace, Jimmy Nelson? Dude is a monster and doesn't get the credit he deserves. Sabermetrically (fangraphs) speaking, this season he's been the 2nd best pitcher in the NL

4.8 fWAR - 2nd NL
    3.05 FIP - 4th NL
    3.13 xFIP - 3rd NL
    10.1 K/9 - 5th NL
    192 Strikeouts - 3rd NL
    Thanks! Huge Nelson fan! Had a decent player collection going actually but sold a bunch when he started heating up finally. Still got a few for sure. Went to the game last night, great start

Last edited by Brewer Andy; 09-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    Thanks! Huge Nelson fan! Had a decent player collection going actually but sold a bunch when he started heating up finally. Still got a few for sure. Went to the game last night, great start

You were there? That's awesome for sure.

And yeah, he was dominant. Struck out 11 during 7 scoreless innings against a team with monster offense. He's one of the main reasons I'm making it to the postseason in my fantasy league this year
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had these two on index cards but couldn't resist upgrading through recent private signings/consignments. Hope to snag a couple more this final weekend.

Brian Giles and Jason Bere

SCREW PHOTOBUCKET

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your collection keeps growing nicely. You've done a great job with it!!!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love upgrading from Index Cards. Unfortunately, a lot of former Astros are never pictured in an Astros uniform anywhere.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    I love upgrading from Index Cards. Unfortunately, a lot of former Astros are never pictured in an Astros uniform anywhere.
    I hear you. I like index cards quite a bit and wasn't planning on upgrading Giles but he's hard to find and only has 2 Brewers cards so when I saw a signing listed I could resist. When I'm bored I scour the web for rare Team issued photos of guys without cards or just make my own

Danny: Thanks! High praise from you!

SCREW PHOTOBUCKET

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great collection, love some of the names, Jason Bere really took me back. I remember trying to convince one of my friends that he was Russian and cousins with hockey star Pavel Bure

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of us team collectors suffer that same fate. I have a decent selection of obscure Dodgers through a lot of oddball sets they issued like Target, Police/Dare, Smokey, Keebler, Mothers and others from the 80-00s, but hardly anyone used those for autographs. Someday, maybe I will break up some sets and see what kind of damage I can do to the list with those 1-2 year or less players.

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    There is something uniquely satisfying to view a collection like this when you see the obscure guys on a team that you don't think about normally.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil Walker TTM and Rob Dibble through private signing

Last edited by Brewer Andy; 12-15-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t remember Dibble with the Brewers. I did get some cards of him in the mail with the Reds.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All-time Milwaukee Brewers Autograph Project

Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post
    I donít remember Dibble with the Brewers. I did get some cards of him in the mail with the Reds.
    Wasnít much left of him by that point. Without checking I think it may have been his final stop before retiring from injuries. Heís told a few funny stories over the years about what a complete crap show the Brewers were at the time

SCREW PHOTOBUCKET