User Tag List

Thread: Last living Brooklyn Dodger Player?

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last living Brooklyn Dodger Player?

Several years ago, I started tracking the deaths of former Brooklyn players. It was helpful as I was collecting autographs to know who was left and who was already gone. Even though I have signatures of all remaining living members, I have continued to track these passings to this day. As of the most recent death (Ron Negray), there remains 18 players.

I was looking over the list tonight and although it is somewhat morbid to think about, it is a true reality that each of these men will likely be moving along in the somewhat near future. It got me wondering when all was said and done, who will have the unique honor of being the last man alive to have played for the Brooklyn Dodgers?

The youngest of the bunch will be 81 this coming June, Bob Aspromonte. If life were that simple and perfectly logical, the youngest would be the last, but we all know it doesn't necessarily always work that way. Aside from Koufax, who had a few more games from 1955-1957, most of the youngsters are connected to Brooklyn by only a handful of games, mostly in 1956 or 1957, their last season in NY. You need to jump down the list to Glen Mickens, who played in 1953, to really get into the thick of the Brooklyn teams and the furthest back we can go is the 1943 team (Chris Haughey). The oldest reigning Brooklyn Dodger is 96 year old (as of nov 2018) Eddie Basinski. He played parts of 2 seasons in 1944-45.

Oldest to youngest, age and first year with Brooklyn:

Eddie Basinski (96) - 1944
    Tim Thompson (94, will be 95 on March 1) - 1954
    Wayne Terwilliger (93) - 1951
    Chris Haughey (93) - 1943
    Randy Jackson (92, will be 93 this coming Sunday!) - 1956
    Don Newcombe (92) - 1949
    Bobby Morgan (92) - 1950
    Carl Erskine (92) - 1948
    Tommy Lasorda (91) - 1954
    Tommy Brown (91) - 1944
    Joe Pignatano (89) - 1957
    Roger Craig (88, will be 89 on 2/17) - 1955
    Glenn Mickens (88) - 1953
    Fred Kipp (87) - 1957
    Jim Gentile (84) - 1957
    Don Demeter (83) - 1956
    Sandy Koufax (83) - 1955
    Bob Aspromonte (80) - 1956

I wish all of these men to live the fullest lives possible and hope that they remain in good health until the end. Still, it would be neat to see Koufax as the last standing, representing the franchise that he started his career with as a teenager, although he would not go on to participate in their final World Championship of 1955. Newcombe, Erskine and Craig are the final members of that historic Championship Club.

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting work. Frank Robinson just passed at 83 years old which would have been near the youngest of this group.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards, 1/1's And Game Used Bats!

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    local played in minors against YOGI

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He played with LA, not Brooklyn. In fact, his rookie year was only 2 years before the team moved to LA, so he played against Brooklyn for 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Gris View Post
    Interesting work. Frank Robinson just passed at 83 years old which would have been near the youngest of this group.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several of those players, most notably Newcombe, Erskine, Gentile, Pignatano and Craig, have been great TTM signers over the years. Not sure if they still are at their advanced ages, but they were up until about eight years ago when I last sent cards to them. I'm sure they still love reading letters from fans.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    He played with LA, not Brooklyn. In fact, his rookie year was only 2 years before the team moved to LA, so he played against Brooklyn for 2 seasons.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers, just that a baseball great very recently passed at an age comparable to the youngest on your list.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards, 1/1's And Game Used Bats!