User Tag List

Thread: My first experience with grading

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first experience with grading

Back in 2009, I won a contest where my prize was a pack of 2009 Bowman Sterling, which was a great prize. I got a Tommy Mendonca autographed card, which I liked since he was a high draft pick by the Rangers that year and a Norichika Aoki refractor relic from the WBC. I also got a Mike Trout autographed card, which was nice, but I was far more pleased with the Mendonca at the time. I remember looking at eBay, and if I remember correctly, I could have gotten gotten around $10 for the Trout. Instead of selling it, I decided to keep it and I stuck it in a binder with other certified autographed cards where it stayed for a while.

Several years back, when it got to be around a $100 card on eBay, I got it out and strongly considered selling it to buy Rangers cards, but I decided to keep it, put it in a one touch and put it in a shoe box.

I remember looking last year and congratulating myself because I saw that they were selling for $500 - $600.

I looked again earlier this year and saw what they were selling for and I figured it was time to get it graded. I've had a couple of autographed cards authenticated and encapsulated before, but I have never graded a card. I took it and another nice card over to Beckett earlier this month and I got an email Tuesday with the grades and I am very happy. I got to pick them up today, along with some great BBQ from a place around the corner and I could not be more pleased with both the cards and the brisket. If anyone ever drops cards off at Beckett, Cattleack BBQ is only about a half a mile away. It's well worth your time to stop in. It's very high on Texas Monthly's Top 50 list, ranked as third best in the state (which would also mean it's the third best in the world).

Anyway, here it is. I apologize for the terrible scan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	89187
    Last edited by deaconblues63; 05-17-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should buy you about any Rangers cards you want. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!

Back in 2009 I bought some blasters of Bowman Draft from Walmart. Pulled a Trout auto and like you put it in a top loader and away. In 2011, I'm putting together a PSA sub with a buddy and needed one more card to fill out my part of the sub. So I thought, wth, he's a first rounder and subbed it. It came back a PSA 10. Tried selling it at a big local show but all the dealers were just trying to rip me off. Held onto it for a couple more years and ended up selling it for $2200, which at the time was the highest one had sold. They have more than doubled since then, but I'm still happy, he could've easily had blown out his knee, taken a 100MPH fastball to the face in the on deck circle like Juan Encarnacion, or gotten high and drunk and crashed a boat like Jose Fernandez and it wouldn't be worth anything. I've still got a bunch of IP auto's that I got personally from him when he was an unknown 18 year old Baseball America prospect in Low-A that I'll probably keep forever.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had similar story where I got a free Sterling pack, but I sold mine soon after for $16. Got $18 for Brad Hand.

Double Ugh...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

bigrsports
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your first experience with grading was a good one. Seriously though congrats on the grade but even moreso congrats on the hold! I think it's safe to say that it would be tough for most people to have hung on to that card that long realizing the increasing value it accrued as you periodically checked the prices of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Randy
    Randall William Rhoads 1956-1982

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story, and amazing results!
    Collecting Hank Greenberg
    Greenberg Collection

My blog!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it.