Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013
e9ave4am.jpg
anyone selling one of this please pm me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Hi I was reading about that last 1997 EX2000 Griffey a cut above sale so I listed my Cut Above on Ebay. I was wondering what you guys thought was the current value of that card and what would be a fair price. I'm not super motivated to sell it but at these prices I don't think I can resist. I've gotten one decent offer but I didn't want to short change myself if this really is a 400 or 500 dollar card now. Just wanted to get thoughts from the griffey experts.

Also I think I've gotten bit by the Griffey Tek bug, if anyone has an antidote please let me know. If no antidote is available please PM me if you have some extras. I'm working on 1998, 1999 and 2000 and I'm just starting so I only have a few patterns but I'm going to take it slow and see where i end up and would be interested if anyone has any doubles.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Most /10 are very plain, that's the exact opposite. I got this /10 on eBay the other day. Only difference is the gold glove

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Hi I was reading about that last 1997 EX2000 Griffey a cut above sale so I listed my Cut Above on Ebay. I was wondering what you guys thought was the current value of that card and what would be a fair price. I'm not super motivated to sell it but at these prices I don't think I can resist. I've gotten one decent offer but I didn't want to short change myself if this really is a 400 or 500 dollar card now. Just wanted to get thoughts from the griffey experts.

Also I think I've gotten bit by the Griffey Tek bug, if anyone has an antidote please let me know. If no antidote is available please PM me if you have some extras. I'm working on 1998, 1999 and 2000 and I'm just starting so I only have a few patterns but I'm going to take it slow and see where i end up and would be interested if anyone has any doubles.

As others have said a card is worth what someone will pay for it (to them any ways)

I'd estimate that the value of that card is somewhere between 150-225

Its 1:288 and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few of them out there.

My personal advice for anyone who has Griffey cards that they bought to sell, or plan to sell - now is your time. His stuff is higher than it's ever been and a huge spike it prices happened over the last 6 months. Buy low, sell high.

Good luck with your listings :)

Last edited:

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I partially agree with that. His prices have been rising for over 5 years steadily. His mid range inserts have def spiked recently. Anything /100 or less that shows up 1 or less per year on eBay has seen prices almost double. I think Griffey is the Jordan of baseball and will only keep climbing. Maybe not $555 for a cut above, but the bottom will be a lot higher than it was.
A jumbalaya jordan sold for $2850 the other day. I would say that's crazy but is it far fetched to think Griffey will keep rising? Especially towards HOF induction.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
As others have said a card is worth what someone will pay for it (to them any ways)

I'd estimate that the value of that card is somewhere between 150-225

Its 1:288 and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few of them out there.

My personal advice for anyone who has Griffey cards that they bought to sell, or plan to sell - now is your time. His stuff is higher than it's ever been and a huge spike it prices happened over the last 6 months. Buy low, sell high.

Good luck with your listings :)

Thanks for the response I do appreciate it, and I think I'm pretty much on the same page as you, I just didn't want to leave a bunch of money on the table. I'm also wondering if I should just send it off to auction and see what happens, I guess that's the best way to figure out the value at a particular moment. Thanks again, Mike

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
The $555 for the cut above is absolutely crazy to me. Here is why:

What card would you rather have? The cut above or a 1998 Upper Deck Retro Quantum Leap /50? For over two months, I had my quantum leap listed on ebay (buy it now) for less than the final price of that cut above. Once I saw these insane prices, I decided to bump up my price on it. So, whoever bought the cut above could have bought my quantum leap for less. I guess people just like the thrill of winning auctions.

I have mixed feelings about the spike in Griffey prices. It is nice to have my cards go up in value, but it is also getting to the point where I am not going to fight for these rare parallels and inserts, especially the ones that are not extremely rare. I've nearly completed my auto chase, so I'll just move onto something else after that.

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013

What card would you rather have? The cut above or a 1998 Upper Deck Retro Quantum Leap /50? For over two months, I had my quantum leap listed on ebay (buy it now) for less than the final price of that cut above. Once I saw these insane prices, I decided to bump up my price on it. So, whoever bought the cut above could have bought my quantum leap for less. I guess people just like the thrill of winning auctions.

I have mixed feelings about the spike in Griffey prices. It is nice to have my cards go up in value, but it is also getting to the point where I am not going to fight for these rare parallels and inserts, especially the ones that are not extremely rare. I've nearly completed my auto chase, so I'll just move onto something else after that.

Agree with you 100% buddy!!!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

A few pages back I broke down my observations of the 2-3 "newcomers" paying ridiculous prices for certain cards. The odd thing is, the low #d (truly rare) inserts have stayed about the same. I recently picked up the card at the very top of my wantlist [right underneath the Quantum Leap], a 1999 Fleer Date With Destiny Griffey /100. With the recent sales of his other stuff (Cut Above, Hitting Machine GM) I expected it to go for well over $350-$400, considering I haven't seen one on ebay (or offered anywhere) in well over a year. Imagine my surprise when I won it for $202. Not a steal, but definitely right in line with the normal selling price of similar inserts (Intimidation Nation, Established, etc).

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
A few things based on my observation:

After a long hiatus, I have been buying Griffey inserts pretty heavily for the past 8 months or so. I am not a rich man, so I have a budget, a ceiling, a limit, etc, so it's not like I'm a BY-ANY-MEANS-NECESSARY type of buyer.

Recently (the past month or two mostly) there have been 2-3 Griffey buyers that are paying RIDICULOUS prices from some of the tougher Griffey inserts. Once two of them have the card, the prices drop back down to normal (because there is nobody else to drive the price to ridiculous prices.) This explains the huge price differences ($50 for a 96 Hitting Machine Gold Medallion vs. $350 Hitting Machine Gold Medallion.) Even though the ridiculous prices are real [and not shilled] they AREN'T real [as far as a determination of current consistent market value.]

You also have to take into consideration "copy-cat bidders." For example, The $100 Cut Above sells for $550 in a legitimate auction. A copy-cat bidder will pay $400 for it in another auction, thinking he can make a quick $150 flipping it... which I still don't consider a legitimate determination of the current market either. The general population of collectors will not pay $550 for this card, so in a few fluke auctions it may fetch that, but in my opinion, is not WORTH that.

As far as the Gold Medallion Hitting Machines: In 1996, these were the perhaps TOUGHEST insert cards of all time to pull. Extremely TOUGH. But there is a huge difference between TOUGH and RARE. TOUGH implies that if buying packs/boxes/cases, you'll have to spend tens of thousands to pull one. RARE implies not many of them were printed. So even though the Hitting Machines were impossibly tough to pull, given the print runs of the mass-produced 96 Ultra set, they aren't as rare as you'd think. I don't have exact numbers, but there are a lot more Gold Medallion hitting machines out there than you might think. They pop up WAY too often to be considered RARE.

I'm going to stop right there to ask if I am making any sense. :)

I think the cut above fever is going down a bit!http://www.ebay.com/itm/121354171789

Yep, the 2-3 main overbidders got theirs, now the price will still stay relatively high for a few more sales. (The copycats are still trying to make their quick bucks) and it will even out in a month or so, back down to the $80-$120 range.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014

Agreed. I'd like to know the production numbers for boxes of the EX. Knowing the Cut Above inserts are 1:288 we could then figure out roughly how many Griffey's were placed in those packs. Being one of the highest end out there at the time but still obtainable at any local card shop for 5+ a pack I'd say there are a lot, and by a lot I mean that if that card was numbered it would be around 750-1000. 1:288 is a tough pull but not when mass produced nearly world wide in the boom and highest peak ever for sales in the card collectible market.

For me the numbered /100 or less is where it's at, you know that only a certain amount were ever printed. Factor in damaged cards and ones still sitting in packs a card /100 is more likely /80 IMO

On the subject of rare Griffey cards; I'd like to address the elusive 2000 Ovation Rainbow Autograph /10 - have all 10 of those been accounted for here on this forum or across others? I as most collectors have been searching for this awhile now with no luck.

I think it would be fun to make a list of the top 10 most elusive/rare Griffey cards out there.

Suggestions and inputs welcome, hoping for a community driven list that most agree on.

I'd like to star the list with these:

1997 Finest Gold Die-Cut Refractor (rumored 37 were printed) need source.
2000 Upper Deck Ovation Super Signature Rainbow /10

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
On the subject of rare Griffey cards; I'd like to address the elusive 2000 Ovation Rainbow Autograph /10 - have all 10 of those been accounted for here on this forum or across others? I as most collectors have been searching for this awhile now with no luck.

I think it would be fun to make a list of the top 10 most elusive/rare Griffey cards out there.

Suggestions and inputs welcome, hoping for a community driven list that most agree on.

I'd like to star the list with these:

1997 Finest Gold Die-Cut Refractor (rumored 37 were printed) need source.
2000 Upper Deck Ovation Super Signature Rainbow /10

Sevilst, I think this is a great idea - working together to find out the number of some high-end rares that have been identified would be extremely informative and fun to do.

I don't have any information on the '00 Ovation Sig Rainbow /10, but I can help on the '97 Gold Embossed Refractor - I go by the print run of approximately 37 from one of the most esteemed member/collectors who posted about this back in 2009:

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27840&page=2

GC mentioned that he knew of 6 complete sets back then and I know of 5 others which have been pulled and which I also believe to be separate from those 6. So I think that a starting number of 11 that have been identified/pulled is a safe, but conservative estimate; however, if any of these have changed hands, this slightly tenable figure becomes less so and of course, this estimate doesn't account for ones that are owned by non-board members or anonymous board members. But hey, it's a start. I'd love to hear from others who may have more information on this particular insert, but I can also understand if some owners wish to remain anonymous.

Other high-end rares I'd like to track are the '97 Certified Team Mirror Golds (due to multiple print runs, there may be more than 25) and the '96 Mirror Golds (due to the aura of this entire set).

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Other high-end rares I'd like to track are the '97 Certified Team Mirror Golds (due to multiple print runs, there may be more than 25) and the '96 Mirror Golds (due to the aura of this entire set).

I will admit that the mirror golds are not my specialty - I've relied on others to provide information with these so I'm very curious as to what this board knows. We'll also have to factor in that there are still a lot of Griffey collectors that are out there who do not even go on these types of boards so our accounting for doesn't mean that's it.

Glad you're excited for this. May get a bit confusing and information overload but I'm looking forward to a top 10 list of Griffey Cards that we consider the rarest out there. With of course a few runner ups :)

Regarding the 2000 Ovation /10 there was a seller on Ebay named px(something) listing one which if I recall was 6/10 and also when I sent him a PM he claimed to own 1/10. I've seen 2/10 posted before on blowout card forums.

So that's

1/10
2/10
6/10

Really regret not saving a pic of his listed but I know it was there and he pulled it deciding to keep it. >24 hours left and only at 600 so I think he may have gotten a bit worried.

Saved this one from BlowOut awhile ago so anyone else with info or pics please post them!

JBiD43e.jpg

Last edited:

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013
I will admit that the mirror golds are not my specialty - I've relied on others to provide information with these so I'm very curious as to what this board knows. We'll also have to factor in that there are still a lot of Griffey collectors that are out there who do not even go on these types of boards so our accounting for doesn't mean that's it.

Glad you're excited for this. May get a bit confusing and information overload but I'm looking forward to a top 10 list of Griffey Cards that we consider the rarest out there. With of course a few runner ups :)

Regarding the 2000 Ovation /10 there was a seller on Ebay named px(something) listing one which if I recall was 6/10 and also when I sent him a PM he claimed to own 1/10. I've seen 2/10 posted before on blowout card forums.

So that's

1/10
2/10
6/10

Really regret not saving a pic of his listed but I know it was there and he pulled it deciding to keep it. >24 hours left and only at 600 so I think he may have gotten a bit worried.

Saved this one from BlowOut awhile ago so anyone else with info or pics please post them!

JBiD43e.jpg

Ebay name px23-now he has another ebay id:bassabuz

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
I think you have to narrow that down a bit. Rarest auto, non-auto for starters. What constitutes rare? A card that hasn't been seen in x years with x print run or less? Or cards that you think/know will not be seen for a long time?

I'll throw this one out there. While anything /3 is rare to begin with, all three were sold on ebay to Griffey collectors on this board. In other words, I don't see one coming for sale in at least 10 years (at least not mine). These were all found pretty early on after release too.

JR1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
30-40 of the gold embossed refractors seems right to me.

I sure could use that Ovation /10. I'm pretty sure I'd pay more than anybody else for it. I need it to complete this:

griffey_auto_pic_jun_2014.jpg

Most of the fun is the chase though, so only needing that one card to complete all the Mariners autos from 1994-2000 seems doable. Just finished the 90's collection this past month. Now occasionally picking up a few Cincy autos I like (a few included here).

One day I'll be finished and then will lock them all up and pass them to my son one day hopefully many years from now ;)

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I think you have to narrow that down a bit. Rarest auto, non-auto for starters. What constitutes rare? A card that hasn't been seen in x years with x print run or less? Or cards that you think/know will not be seen for a long time?

I'll throw this one out there. While anything /3 is rare to begin with, all three were sold on ebay to Griffey collectors on this board. In other words, I don't see one coming for sale in at least 10 years (at least not mine). These were all found pretty early on after release too.

JR1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

That's a pretty cool card.

Members online

Latest posts