Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Re: OFFICIAL- Vintage Pickup Thread.

Chris D. said:
jay1065 said:
e90_1_1909-11_young.jpg

No, I did not taste the caramel on the back. :mrgreen:

Why did you punch holes in it? ;)

To make a key chain, of course. :)

Chris D.

Aug 7, 2008

Graymouse said:
The last piece of the puzzle. 206/206!

205_freese.jpg

WOW!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! [fireworks going off]

Way to go. It must feel great to have accomplished that. Good for you.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

Graymouse said:

205_freese.jpg
THAT'S what I've been waiting to see! Congratulations :D
It is interesting that Freese was a tough card for me to find when I put my set together.
DANNY

rc4157

Aug 10, 2008

Graymouse - What an accomplishment, congratulations!! I remember when it first started over on Beckett's old site and following your progress. I think most of the regulars feel a sense of extended ownership. It's been a fun ride.

I will have some new cards to show in the next week or so.

Jay - Nice key chain!! :D

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008

dano7 said:
Graymouse said:
THAT'S what I've been waiting to see! Congratulations :D
It is interesting that Freese was a tough card for me to find when I put my set together.
DANNY

Dano7,

Yeah, the Freese was a really hard pick up for me. I am really glad this set is finished. However, I got one more thing to do before I lay this set to rest. As you may know I have been thinking really hard on getting the set crossed over from PSA to SGC. I think I have made up my mind on what I will do. I hope that I can get a good crossover.

BTW very nice Yankee stamp album! I never seen one completed before! Great pickup!

Everyone:
Thank you for your support and your kind comments. Much like rc4157 said I feel like we all collected the set together! Thanks for a wonderful ride! Its finally over! I feel like I just graduated from a prestigious college. Its a wonderful feeling and a great sense of accomplishment. I encourage everyone to try and complete this set. It is possible believe it or not!

As for my next project, I will be trying to complete a basic 1956 Topps set in PSA 7 or better condition. I already have both checklists and several key "rookie" cards. I believe this one will take much longer to finish then the 1955 being that there are 340 cards to this set. I hope to have it finished by around 2014 ish.

In the meantime I am working on getting pre-war Braves cards. I have all but 3 T205 cards left for my team set of the Rustlers. (please check my bucket to see them) I will be moving on to the T206 Braves team set.

Thanks again everyone! I think we are all passionate for vintage cardboard! (who says we are in an economic tragedy) I really enjoy watching everyones collection grow. I feel that we all own the cards that everyone picks up when share our latest pickups! Keep up the great pickups and continue to increase our collection of cards!

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

I couldn't resist this 1952 Topps card, especially for $23.50 + SH.
DANNY
52Bauer.jpg

birdsfan85

Aug 7, 2008

It won't be in hand until next week sometime but I couldn't wait to post it. It cost me $175.
Marquard.jpg

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

...great pick-ups Chris and Danny.....

I'll put this in my Ted thread but here is a my latest Ted pick-up........

1946/47 Propagandas Montiel, Los Reyes del Deporte (Cuba)

[center:3m99kbvi]47PropagandasMontielFWilliams.jpg47PropagandasMontielBWilliams.jpg[/center:3m99kbvi]

Here's information about the set- These 2.1" by 3.1" Cuban cards are made of a thin paper stock, and are usually found pasted in a colorful album. These cards are made of a thin paper stock with a yellow or orange design border, and are frequently found slightly miscut. The set is made up of Boxers, Cuban Baseball Stars of the past and present, former Big League Greats, current Big Leaguers, a few Wrestlers, along with players from 5 teams of the Class B Florida International League. These cards like all other cards from Cuba are often found with insect holes and or humidity damage making nice examples tough to find. There are 180 numbered cards in the set with a few variations including one showing a portrait of Gabby Hartnett on a Bill Dickey card (#56).

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

MaineMule said:
...great pick-ups Chris and Danny.....

I'll put this in my Ted thread but here is a my latest Ted pick-up........

1946/47 Propagandas Montiel, Los Reyes del Deporte (Cuba)

[center:34iase6l]47PropagandasMontielFWilliams.jpg47PropagandasMontielBWilliams.jpg[/center:34iase6l]

Here's information about the set- These 2.1" by 3.1" Cuban cards are made of a thin paper stock, and are usually found pasted in a colorful album. These cards are made of a thin paper stock with a yellow or orange design border, and are frequently found slightly miscut. The set is made up of Boxers, Cuban Baseball Stars of the past and present, former Big League Greats, current Big Leaguers, a few Wrestlers, along with players from 5 teams of the Class B Florida International League. These cards like all other cards from Cuba are often found with insect holes and or humidity damage making nice examples tough to find. There are 180 numbered cards in the set with a few variations including one showing a portrait of Gabby Hartnett on a Bill Dickey card (#56).
Interesting. I'd never heard of them, so I've learned something this evening. It looks almost like some pictures I cut out of newspapers as a kid. They used to pictures about that size in the paper when they had a good game, made the all-star team or something.
DANNY

Members online

Latest posts