Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any exciting baseball happen on your exact date of birth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Maybe not too exciting, but for me it was game 2 of the NLDS between Philadelphia and Montreal. On October 8, 1981, the Expos won 3-1 on a 2 run HR by Gary Carter hit in the 3rd inning. Bill Gullickson gave up 1 run and 6 hits over 7.2 inning and Jeff Reardon got the save.

They did the NLDS that year due to losing roughly 1/3 of the season to a strike. The Dodgers, who would go on to win the 1981 World Series, played on October 7th and October 9th.

Don Larsen of course threw his perfect game in the World series on October 8, 1956, but my dad was -3 years old then. And my mom was 1.

Baseball history is fun.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Dave, I figured you'd be the first to reply. On an unrelated note, my new good luck charm wasn't enough to get Michigan a win today.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
December 22

The most interesting
1899 The fledging American League owners meet to map a strategy against the established National League. They agree to place a team in Chicago with Charles Comiskey as the owner-manager of the franchise.

The best move by the Yanks last offseason
2009 The Yankees reacquired Javier Vazquez by trading outfielder Melky Cabrera to the Braves.

Have some great baseball birthdays though
Connie Mack, Steve Carlton, Matty Alou and Steve Garvey (funny, I've gotten Garv's jsy from artifacts and auto'd ball from tristar)

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
My birthday is 9 September. My favorite team is the Reds and they are 15-16 on my birthday. The Reds won the day I was born. They've played on my birthday every year except '93 and '94. Adam Dunn hit his 37th HR of 2005 on my birthday.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Just to add, baseball players born on 9 September:

Frank Chance
Frankie Frisch
Waite Hoyt
Jay Ward
Garry Maddox
Tom Foley
Todd Zeile
Mike Hampton
Kyle Snyder
Kurt Ainsworth- born the same year as me
Todd Coffey
Kyle Davies
Edwin Jackson
Michael Bowden
Billy Hamilton

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
muskiesfan said:
Just to add, baseball players born on 9 September:

Frank Chance
Frankie Frisch
Waite Hoyt
Jay Ward
Garry Maddox
Tom Foley
Todd Zeile
Mike Hampton
Kyle Snyder
Kurt Ainsworth- born the same year as me
Todd Coffey
Kyle Davies
Edwin Jackson
Michael Bowden
Billy Hamilton

Nice! I'm September 8th!

Off the top of my head...

September 8th, 1982 - My favorite player ever, Don Mattingly, made his Major League Debut.
September 8th, 1985 - Pete Rose ties Ty Cobb for all-time hits
September 8th, 1998 - Mark McGwire passes Roger Maris in single season home runs

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Heck ya!! The Pittsburgh Pirates traded Wilbur Wood to the Chicago White Sox.... :D

With the White Sox, Wood won 20+ games 4 years in a row (24 wins 2 years in a row), and pitched an incredible 376 innings in 49 games started one year. He also lost 20+ games 2 times too. In case you didnt know who he was :)

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
1917 - Coaching third in a 1-1 game against Washington, Detroit's Ty Cobb gives Tiger base runner George Burns a shove when Burns stops at third on a long hit. Burns keeps going and scores the winning run for the Tigers. Clark Griffith protests, and Ban Johnson upholds him; the rules now ban coaches from touching a runner. The game is replayed, and Washington wins 2-0.

1921 - Ty Cobb gets hit number 3,000 off Boston pitcher Elmer Myers. At 34, he's the youngest ever to do so.

1931 - Lefty Grove wins his 16th consecutive game, tying the American League record set by Walter Johnson and Joe Wood in 1912.

1951 - In his most interesting promotional stunt, Bill Veeck signs a three-foot, seven-inch midget, Eddie Gaedel, who goes to bat wearing the number 1/8 in the first inning of the nightcap with the Tigers. Lefty Bob Cain laughingly walks him on four pitches. Jim Delsing then pinch runs. Two days later the commissioner bars Eddie Gaedel from appearing in any more games.

1957 - New York Giants owner Horace Stoneham announced that the team's board of directors had voted 9-1 in favor of moving to San Francisco.

1969 - Ken Holtzman of the Cubs blanked the Atlanta Braves with a 3-0 no-hitter at Wrigley Field. Ron Santo's three-run homer in the first inning provided the Cubs' offense

1992 - Bret Boone made history when he became part of the first three-generation family to play in major league baseball. Boone is the grandson of Ray Boone, who played from 1948-60, and son of Bob Boone, from 1972-90. Bret, 23, started at second base for the Seattle Mariners against Baltimore.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
May 1st:

1920 - Longest game in major league history is played (26 innings to a 1-1 tie)
1920 & 1951 - Babe Ruth's first home run as a Yankee; Mickey Mantle's first home run as a Yankee
1991 - Nolan Ryan throws his 7th no hitter
1991 & 1992 - Rickey Henderson breaks the stolen base career record; Rickey records steal #1,000

Members online

Latest posts