Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why is hockey such an unpopular sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

What is it about this amazing sport that people hate so much in america? I just dont see how people dont like hockey. It's a fast paced game (fastest in the world), its extreme contact, and its just an overall exciting game. people love to stereo-type the fact that its just a bunch of guys hitting each other, but its really not. and if low scoring is your issue, then why is soccer the most watched sport in the world if its even less scoring than hockey? and if u think about it, the average score in football is like 21-17, and thats about 3 scores per team, which is the same as hockey. so please be very mature, and answer with reasons why this lifestyle is even less popular than the WWE.

Zeeck

Mar 29, 2010
Aurora, IL
1. Doesn't appeal to people in regions that don't have ice
2. Doesn't appeal to minorities
3. Not as marketable as other sports - not much face time and many difficult to pronounce names

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
Its also not as accessible. To play soccer, all you really need is a ball. To play ice hockey, you need access to a rink and expensive equipment. I guess there's street hockey, but that involves equipment as well. Up north in more rural areas, you have backyard rinks, etc. In many areas (especially urban ones), that just isn't possible. I've never played a second of hockey, but became a fan after being taken to the old Chicago Stadium as a kid for the first time. Everyone I know says the same thing after attending their first game, 'I wasn't a fan before, but am now.'

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
ThoseBackPages said:
but it IS a good question.

I actually think hawkfandan just answered the question really well. Hockey is an expensive sport to play, you need lots of equipment, you need access to an ice rink and it is also a sport that you just can't start playing out of the blue. You have to learn to skate first. Like Dan said, why is soccer the most popular sport in the world, especially in all the 3rd world countries and less developed countries? All you need is a ball to play and with just one ball, tons of people can play. Hell even if you dont have a real soccer ball, it isn't hard to use your imagination and create one. Same thing goes with Basketball? Why do you see so many people in the ghettos and the poorer areas of America playing Basketball? Same thing as soccer, you just need 1 ball to play and you can find a basketball court at the local schools. What communities don't have outdoor Basketball courts at almost every single school? Hockey, even if you just play street Hockey, everyone needs a stick to play. Hockey is also considered a winter sport and considering the vast majority of the people who live on this planet, live in a warm environment, that is another reason.

It also has a lot to do with what part of North America you grow up in as well. Where is the biggest populations of North America? Other than New York, the vast majority of North America lives in California, Florida, Texas, etc. places where it never even snows. So i can't see kids at a young age playing Hockey considering that it is too warm to build a rink. But i bet they all play a lot of Basketball because they have Basketball courts every couple blocks. Now head to Canada and we have outdoor Hockey rinks every few blocks. I grew up playing Hockey almost every day on the outdoor rinks. There's many kids in Canada who learn how to skate before they learn how to walk or talk. This isn't an exaggeration either, my great nephew is 16 months old. The kids barely learning how to walk, but he is already skating fine. His mom has been taking him skating 3 days a week for the past month and hes getting pretty good on skates. Hes 16 months old!!!! :shock:

ctmike

Oct 9, 2009
Connecticut
I grew up playing baseball so baseball was my first favorite sport. I then started watching Football and Hockey. Didn't catch on to Basketball until the Knicks got Ewing, and now that he's retired, and evidently the entire Knicks franchise has as well, I lost interest in Basketball.

However, I enjoy watching Hockey more than any other sport. I like the rule changes since the lockout (missing an entire season didn't help the sport though) except for the shootout. Play 10 minutes or even 20 minutes of sudden death overtime and if you can't settle it after that then it's a tie. Ties happen, get over it.

The sport moves fast and they don't call time out every 3 seconds at the end of a game. There's occasional hitting comparable to Football and skilled finesse plays more frequently than soccer or basketball. No breaks for pitching changes every other batter in the later innings either.

Lots of pros I can't figure out what the cons are. Then again, I'll watch any teams any time. Being in two fantasy leagues makes it fun to keep track of all the players on all the teams, not just the team I root for, which being the Islanders, has been painful to watch of late. (ok since like 1993.....)

Micson

Aug 8, 2010
Calgary, AB, Canada
Like any sport if someone doesn't understand the game and the rules, the interest level just isn't there. for some people some sports are more boring than others. I put Cricket, soccer, and baseball in the major boring to watch category. I grew up playing soccer and cricket. But i enjoy watching Hockey, basketball and American football, more than i do soccer, baseball. And in some cases some people are to ignorant and won't take the time to understand it.

Hockey is a great sport

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Pretty much what others have said about it costing a lot more to play and needing certain things like ice rinks and equipment. Where as other sports you can just pick up a ball and play. That and the fact that half the country doesn't know what ice/snow is makes for a potent combination.

Latest posts