Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Many people touting Pujols as MVP, but.......

Does Pujols Deserve NL MVP if the Cardinals don't make the playoffs?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
If Pujols gets robbed again, I might just boycott MLB baseball.

Despite the fact that Pujols is not currently leading the league in superficial stats such as RBI and Runs, he is indeed leading the league in "Runs Created" which is a far more important stat. Hes leading in the most important category of them all in terms of hitting (OPS, hes also leading in both OBP and SLG% right now as well), and is 3rd in TB. You want to know why he does not have more runs/HR/etc... right now than some of the other candidates? He's leading the league in intentional walks (already 10 more than he had last year). This guy has only 1 MVP award (thank you Barry Bonds and Ryan Howard).....just think about that for a minute. This guy has been the best hitter in baseball for what, 3 or 4 years now? One MVP? Common....

G

I don't think I've ever seen 'runs created' on the back of a baseball card....... :lol:

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Sam Banks said:
I don't think I've ever seen 'runs created' on the back of a baseball card....... :lol:

Pujols is far and away the most valuable player in the league....There really isn't any question about that.

With RISP, Pujols has a 1.148 OPS. Thats AMAZING.

How about clutch stats? With 2 out with RISP, Pujols has a 1.358 OPS in 34 AB.

On top of that, he will win the GG for first base this year as well, unless the judges decide to rob him.

As I said, if he doesn't win, I am boycotting the MLB.

Oh, and Garrett Atkins should win the GG for 3B.

S

stanthemanmusial

Only a foolish person could argue he is not the deserving NL MVP. To hit .363/30/91 while being pitched around all season, plus he missed just shy of a month due to injury, is nothing short of amazing.

Let's not forget to mention leading not just the NL, but MLB, in batting average, slugging %, and on base %, while playing gold glove defense. There is not a better player in MLB. Period..

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
Frow said:
Pujols isn't even close to being an MVP. The only Cardinal that deserves an MVP award would be Tony Larussa for Most Valuable Person. Without him they'd be a cellar dweller like they were suppose to be.

Probably one of the least thought out posts I have seen on here and I post some really pointless stuff. How can you say Pujols isn't even close to being an MVP?
#1 BA in all MLB
#1 OBP in all MLB
#1 SLUG in all MLB
#1 OPS in all MLB

prob the 4 most important hitting catagories and he is #1 in everyone in the entire sport. Not to mention he has struck out only 47 times in 443 AB's

For you to try and argue he isn't even close to MVP is the most ludicrous thing I have ever read. He out produces hitters with endless protection on a daily basis

G

My argument isn't that he isn't worthy of being the MVP. He is. He has incredible numbers. Mine is that I have never been a fan of a player winning the MVP on a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

I know that statistically he's worthy of the award, I'd be a fool not to know that. I just don't like it when players win that award who don't make the playoffs.

Keep in mind that I am a Cardinals fan. But I'm not just going to be a homer and change my stance on what I believe just because it's Albert.

S

stanthemanmusial

lordsepic said:
Frow said:
Pujols isn't even close to being an MVP. The only Cardinal that deserves an MVP award would be Tony Larussa for Most Valuable Person. Without him they'd be a cellar dweller like they were suppose to be.

Probably one of the least thought out posts I have seen on here and I post some really pointless stuff. How can you say Pujols isn't even close to being an MVP?
#1 BA in all MLB
#1 OBP in all MLB
#1 SLUG in all MLB
#1 OPS in all MLB

prob the 4 most important hitting catagories and he is #1 in everyone in the entire sport. Not to mention he has struck out only 47 times in 443 AB's

For you to try and argue he isn't even close to MVP is the most ludicrous thing I have ever read. He out produces hitters with endless protection on a daily basis

You will learn about Frow, if you have not already. He is a St. Louis and Albert Pujols hating moron, who does not even think before he starts spitting venom towards St. Louis or Pujols.

G

stanthemanmusial said:
You will learn about Frow, if you have not already. He is a St. Louis and Albert Pujols hating moron, who does not even think before he starts spitting venom towards St. Louis or Pujols.

Damn Royals fan! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

stanthemanmusial

Sam Banks said:
stanthemanmusial said:

Damn Royals fan! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, those jealous KC fans. The same ones who could have had Pujols if their ownership had not been so blind to the fact that Pujols was playing in their back yard during his college days.. :lol: :lol:

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Sam Banks said:
My argument isn't that he isn't worthy of being the MVP. He is. He has incredible numbers. Mine is that I have never been a fan of a player winning the MVP on a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

I know that statistically he's worthy of the award, I'd be a fool not to know that. I just don't like it when players win that award who don't make the playoffs.

Keep in mind that I am a Cardinals fan. But I'm not just going to be a homer and change my stance on what I believe just because it's Albert.

Your argument would only make sense when a team is underachieving or in the cellar. The Cardinals are doing neither; many projected that they would be in the cellar throughout the entire year, not neck deep in the wild card race with a record ten games above .500. The truth is, this team did not have the pitching staff to compete this year, and the fact that they are indeed competing just adds to Pujols resume. Don't fault the player for not having the team to win, fault the GM.

G

soccerman034 said:
Sam Banks said:

Your argument would only make sense when a team is underachieving or in the cellar. The Cardinals are doing neither; many projected that they would be in the cellar throughout the entire year, not neck deep in the wild card race with a record ten games above .500. The truth is, this team did not have the pitching staff to compete this year, and the fact that they are indeed competing just adds to Pujols resume. Don't fault the player for not having the team to win, fault the GM.

Not making the playoff is underachieving to me. The Cardinals deserve better than this.

And if the Cardinals don't field a winning team, I'm not blaming John Mozliak, and I never blamed Walt Jockety.

Jockety's not a stupid guy. He just got sick of that piece of **** Bill DeWitt III, who wouldn't give him what was necessary to properly do his job, so he left. He got sick of DimWitts ****, and he left. Now Moz has to deal with DimWitt and all his garbage. I hate that son of a bitch.

Wes

OG
Administrator
How about Sabathia for MVP? He hasn't been the best pitcher in the NL all year so I don't think he should be the Cy Young, but a strong argument can be made that he could be the most valuable player on the Brewers and the main reason they make the playoffs. Just food for thought.

S

stanthemanmusial

Sam,

I don't get how you can figure that they have done anything but overachieve all year.

Your idea of not making the playoffs is underachieving just shows how spoiled and unrealistic you have become. I think a lot of us St. Louis fans are guilty of this same thinking, but I am trying to be more realistic these days. You know, some teams are lucky to make the playoffs once every decade, if that. Clearly, St. Louis has overachieved with what they have had to work with this year. Without Pujols anchoring the lineup, St. Louis would have been competing for last place with the Pirates and Reds.

Wesman,

No, Sabathia does not play everyday. Maybe consideration for Cy Young, but no way for MVP. An MVP should play every day, not just once every 5 days. This CC for MVP is something silly brewed up by ESPN.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Sam Banks said:
soccerman034 said:
[quote="Sam Banks":2qva78w0]My argument isn't that he isn't worthy of being the MVP. He is. He has incredible numbers. Mine is that I have never been a fan of a player winning the MVP on a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

Not making the playoff is underachieving to me. The Cardinals deserve better than this.

And if the Cardinals don't field a winning team, I'm not blaming John Mozliak, and I never blamed Walt Jockety.

Jockety's not a stupid guy. He just got sick of that piece of shat Bill DeWitt III, who wouldn't give him what was necessary to properly do his job, so he left. He got sick of DimWitts shat, and he left. Now Moz has to deal with DimWitt and all his garbage. I hate that son of a bitch.[/quote:2qva78w0]

Is is not Pujols fault that the Cardinals will probably not make the playoffs, and you should not fault him for it. Whether you like it or not, the Cardinals SHOULD be in the cellar right now with the team they play on the field. The fact that they are 10 games above .500 is amazing, and a large portion of why they are where they is because of Pujols. Your argument just doesn't make sense to me; the player that preforms the best should win the award, especially if they play on an overachieving team.

Wes

OG
Administrator
stanthemanmusial said:
Sam,

I don't get how you can figure that they have done anything but overachieve all year.

Your idea of not making the playoffs is underachieving just shows how spoiled and unrealistic you have become. I think a lot of us St. Louis fans are guilty of this same thinking, but I am trying to be more realistic these days. You know, some teams are lucky to make the playoffs once every decade, if that. Clearly, St. Louis has overachieved with what they have had to work with this year. Without Pujols anchoring the lineup, St. Louis would have been competing for last place with the Pirates and Reds.

Wesman,

No, Sabathia does not play everyday. Maybe consideration for Cy Young, but no way for MVP. An MVP should play every day, not just once every 5 days. This CC for MVP is something silly brewed up by ESPN.

I don't think that it says anywhere in the MVP qualifications that you have to play everyday. Pitchers have won before (Gagne) and CC may have had more of an impact on the Brewers making the playoffs than Pujols has with St. Louis.

Fernando Martinez

Aug 7, 2008
If the Mets make the playoffs, nobody deserves it more than Jose Reyes. He has been an outstanding leadoff man and has carried the team countless times.

He's projected to have 200+ hits (NL Lead by a wide margin), 115 R, 65 RBI (out of the leadoff spot in the NL) 40 2B, 20 3B, 15 HR, 50 SB, 300 +AVG, almost 370 OBP, almost 500 SLG, and an 858 OPS. Plus, he's hitting 353 when leading off an inning, and 320 with 2 out and men in scoring position. He also has 57 multi-hit games this year.

Most people (including myself) considered the Mets done right before the All-Star Break, but Reyes is the best player on the team and has been unbelievably consistent for the last 4 months. He hit 336 in July to pull the Mets back in to contention and has hit 300+ in every month except April.

If the Cards make it, it should be Ludwick.

G

soccerman034 said:
Is is not Pujols fault that the Cardinals will probably not make the playoffs, and you should not fault him for it. Whether you like it or not, the Cardinals SHOULD be in the cellar right now with the team they play on the field. The fact that they are 10 games above .500 is amazing, and a large portion of why they are where they is because of Pujols. Your argument just doesn't make sense to me; the player that preforms the best should win the award, especially if they play on an overachieving team.

And in a college basketball tournament that's true. But this award is called the Most Valuable Player, not the most Outstanding Player.

CC Sabathia's more VALUABLE to his team than Pujols is right now in my opinion. He's carrying that team to the playoffs. KRod is more VALUABLE to the Angels than Pujols is to the Cardinals. Those two players are marching their teams right into the playoffs. Pujols isn't. Is he playing outstanding? Yes. Are they having more of an impact on their teams playoff push than Pujols is? Yes. Because their teams are going to make the playoffs. Is Puujy playing OUTSTANDING this season? Of course he is. He does every year.

Pujols will win it I am fairly positive, but that's only because there really isn't any one stand out player on one of thNL playoff teams that is really playing amazing.

If there was a player on an NL playoff team that had comparable numbers to Pujols right now, then I think many people would be saying that person is more deserving because his team is going to make the playoffs.

But there isn't. And in previous years when there HAS been two comparable players statistically, with one making, and one not making the playoffs, I have heard tons of people saying the guy who took his team to the playoffs deserved it more than the guy who didn't.. There just isn't anyone like that this year for Pujols.

G

stanthemanmusial said:
Sam,

Wesman,

I completely agree with that. Not making a serious World Series push is underacheiving to me. It's unacceptable in my mind for the St. Louis Cardinals, the second winningest franchise in all of MLB history, not to field a team that is capable of winning the World Series year in and year out. Unacceptable.

G

LLWesMan said:
I don't think that it says anywhere in the MVP qualifications that you have to play everyday. Pitchers have won before (Gagne) and CC may have had more of an impact on the Brewers making the playoffs than Pujols has with St. Louis.

You ask the majority of the voters about a pitcher for MVP, they say "That's what the Cy Young is for."

Members online

Latest posts