Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
charliehustle said:
I was going to post a pic with this but cant quite get a clear enough picture. I wanted to ask about the 1998 Finest No Protector "refractor" that's actually missing the "refractor finish" on it but labled as "#145 R" on the back? How rare are these? I remember in late '98 seeing a Beckett that featured a write up on these error refractors but I have honestly not seen that many at all since.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
charliehustle

There were two versions of the ref for 1998. The protector ref had the ref finish on the front only the no protector ref had the ref finish on the front and back. If your card has the ref finish on the front only someone pulled the protector off the front of the card. If your card has no ref finish anywhere then you have an error card. Not sure if Joe has an example on his site but Topps screwed up the Mystery Finest cards from that year so it wouldn't be too surprising if they screwed up the regular ref as well.

charliehustle

Feb 5, 2010
USA
docdw25 said:
charliehustle said:
I was going to post a pic with this but cant quite get a clear enough picture. I wanted to ask about the 1998 Finest No Protector "refractor" that's actually missing the "refractor finish" on it but labled as "#145 R" on the back? How rare are these? I remember in late '98 seeing a Beckett that featured a write up on these error refractors but I have honestly not seen that many at all since.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
charliehustle

There were two versions of the ref for 1998. The protector ref had the ref finish on the front only the no protector ref had the ref finish on the front and back. If your card has the ref finish on the front only someone pulled the protector off the front of the card. If your card has no ref finish anywhere then you have an error card. Not sure if Joe has an example on his site but Topps screwed up the Mystery Finest cards from that year so it wouldn't be too surprising if they screwed up the regular ref as well.

Yeah actually mine came from a box that I busted for a shop that I worked at when I was younger. During that time, McGwire stuff was on fire and I happened to just turn the card over before I was getting ready to put it out with the rest of the McGwire items we had for sale then decided to but that one for myself because of the error lol. Shortly after this particular error was featured in a write up in Beckett and I should have grabbed an issue of that Beckett just to be safe...

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
charliehustle said:
docdw25 said:
charliehustle said:

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
charliehustle

Yeah actually mine came from a box that I busted for a shop that I worked at when I was younger. During that time, McGwire stuff was on fire and I happened to just turn the card over before I was getting ready to put it out with the rest of the McGwire items we had for sale then decided to but that one for myself because of the error lol. Shortly after this particular error was featured in a write up in Beckett and I should have grabbed an issue of that Beckett just to be safe...

Looks like I have another card to look for and we need to update the McGwire web site.

charliehustle

Feb 5, 2010
USA
docdw25 said:
charliehustle said:
docdw25 said:
charliehustle said:

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
charliehustle

Looks like I have another card to look for and we need to update the McGwire web site.

I just came across this on a Collectors Universe forum thread, could this be something to it:

"1998 Finest Mystery Finest: Base, refractor number identified with 'R', Refractor number identified with 'Refractor', Refractor identified with 'R' with no refraction"

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
charliehustle said:
docdw25 said:
charliehustle said:
docdw25 said:
charliehustle said:

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
charliehustle

I just came across this on a Collectors Universe forum thread, could this be something to it:

"1998 Finest Mystery Finest: Base, refractor number identified with 'R', Refractor number identified with 'Refractor', Refractor identified with 'R' with no refraction"

Already knew about the Mystery Finest series 1 cards. There are 4 versions of each card. Haven't seen the base card error before. Should have known it existed though.

Base
f-210.jpgb-210.jpg

Base labeled as ref
f-4683.jpgb-4683.jpg

Ref
f-213.jpgb-213.jpg

Ref not labeled
f-6220.jpgb-6220.jpg

charliehustle

Feb 5, 2010
USA
charliehustle said:
docdw25 said:
charliehustle said:
docdw25 said:
charliehustle said:

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
charliehustle

Hey guys, my scanner is down but tried to get the best pictures I could with my camera so you guys could see what I was talking about, hope they help!

jr885k.jpg

29ve29z.jpg

344tllf.jpg

jam92102 said:
So Big Mac, when ya going to pull the trigger?? :)

[ebay:1dem05l0]110638595841[/ebay:1dem05l0]

I know man. Surprisingly i don't think im going to pull the trigger. I am in the process of saving up and buying a ton of stuff for my spring training trip. Im goin down to Jupiter to see Mac and Cardinals from February 18-28. I am also going to attend the cardinals season ticket autograph event. I purchased 3 tickets. with a ticket you are able to get 1 autograph from each player on the team, myself, dad, and mother will each have tickets. That means I get a Pujols, Dad gets a Pujols and Mom gets a pujols :D the same with mcgwire. The tickets cost me 375. But well worth it as im going to walk away with 3 Alberts and 3 Mac's. And that is just at 1 event. I am still going to have 5 days of autograph hunting at the practice facility. Last year i went during the games and did well. This year i am going to the Best time which is the open practices were they sign more freely after practice.

it is a sick cleat, but i just paid 600 for the next to last HR batting glove. At this point, buying a shoe for 500$ is not really going to make or break me. I am more excited to get my 97 Game used mac bat and the other goodies done by albert.

And im also gona be down there for the Rays fan fest which i will be able to get 2 autographs from Evan Longoria. So yea, MY mind is in the gutter right now hahahaha

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
The Canadian versions were printed in Canada and have "Ptd in Canada" on the copyright line.

1990_fleer_40_ryne_sandberg.jpg
1990_fleer_canadian_40_ryne_sandberg.jpg

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Anyone ever buy a card you already own. I bought my 3rd copy of this tonight since there were no bids. Listed as a reg ref but the picture shows an Atomic Ref

Atomic

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Not much going on in this thread. I just passed the 3100 mark recently and also had this arrive today

First 58 were die-cut
f-841.jpg
b-841.jpg

delsant2

May 29, 2010
nice die cut, congrats on 3,100! is that even half way, haha? i am approaching 2,500 myself. i haven't updated in a few weeks and i have 2,250ish now and about 100 or so more that i have to add. i wonder what the exact 2,500th will be?? i have to make that one count!

Its that time of the year again for me to make the voyage down to Jupiter in hopes of adding to my mcgwire autograph collection. Im going to the open team practices this time instead of the games. The players wont be as rushed as mcgwire gave the full sig last year at the practices opposed to the ballpark signature before games. I ended up getting him to sign 14 items last spring training and about 8 of them were full sig

This is what im bringing down this trip. Ill have 5 practices plus the season ticket event which im pretty sure ill be able to get at least 3 as ma and pa can each get a auto at the event. So at max if i do get him at least once at every practice theres the perfect trip i get 8 out of the trip. At worst im sure ill get least 3 but well just take it 1 day at a time

Heres the stuff im bringing down

Ill post them in the order of needed the most

1. 97 GU Bat - the top priority.
Picture030.jpg

2. 16x20 w/ mattingly. Already signed by Don
b592d0ad.jpg

3. Club Suite Full unused 500HR ticket
b81d6bcb.jpg

4. 16x20 A's Home
e7aab963.jpg

5. 16x20 A's Away - Yankee Stadium
4b84a9b8.jpg

6.11x14 A's Away- Yankee Stadium
db325e1f.jpg

7.16x20 A's @ Camden Yards
5c5ae7d1.jpg

I brought a nice mcgwire st louis magazine and few in the event i run out of stuff

Ill keep you guys updated after each day. I will also take a bunch of pictures of our guy at work. I hope this trip is as good as last year.

Keep the collections going. Hopefully ill get mine up and running on the first day which is the 21st (monday)

Members online

Latest posts