Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So who uses COMC to sell cards? If so, tell me why I should

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
I noticed under selling fees, .25 if damaged items need condition notes. Does that mean if you send in a card that is oc, slight corner ding or other minor defect that you could end up paying these extra fees. I noticed some vintage commons had condition notes and were listed for .25, that would indicate they were losing money to sell the card.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
stanthemanfan said:
I noticed under selling fees, .25 if damaged items need condition notes. Does that mean if you send in a card that is oc, slight corner ding or other minor defect that you could end up paying these extra fees. I noticed some vintage commons had condition notes and were listed for .25, that would indicate they were losing money to sell the card.

I think that mainly applies to cards with flaws that aren't readily visible in the scans. I've seen plenty of dumpy looking vintage on there, with plainly visible flaws, that didn't have condition notes. It's the sneaky stuff, the really good-looking cards that have hairline creases or damage you need to see close up, that deserve those notes.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
My stats:

Items in Inventory: 799
Total Book Value $5,476.00
Total Asking Price $1606.82
Total Sales $377.03
Items Sold 205
Items Purchased 40
Items Added to the Site 964

I can echo a lot of comments so far in this thread. I'm a new seller, my first shipment went live on Feb. 15 and I've been very happy with COMC. I've sent stuff I really don't want anymore and I've been trying to clean out my collection as I've reduced my collection 200,000 cards in the last couple of years. COMC has allowed me to sell the cards that I can't sell on ebay, too labor intensive to trade all for a pretty simple process; mail your cards and price them.

I just put in almost 400 cards that went live 2 days ago so from feb to may I've sold 40% of the cards I've sent in. I've used my credit to pick up some cards I've needed for sets. Sent in 200 cards for my first shipment and I just send in more cards as I have enough credit to send in more cards so I only have $50 in cash in the site, I've found this to be a great way to save on cash out in the end because you can use 100% of your credit to pay for your processing fees.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I've been on there for a while. I really like it. Sold a lot of things I couldn't "trade" and picked up some player collection stuff I like.

About the only draw back is some of the ridiculous offers I get on cards that are already marked down quite a bit. I guess that goes with the territory ;)

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
theplasticman said:
I've been on there for a while. I really like it. Sold a lot of things I couldn't "trade" and picked up some player collection stuff I like.

About the only draw back is some of the ridiculous offers I get on cards that are already marked down quite a bit. I guess that goes with the territory ;)

I'm convinced that some buyers have an automatic script they use to put in offers of exactly half of the selling price, regardless who ridiculous it is. When I'm already marking a card down 70%, then someone comes along and tries to knock it down another 50% on top of that, I can't hit Reject quickly enough.

ronzo

Sep 8, 2008
Stroudsburg, PA
DeliciousBacon said:
theplasticman said:

I'm convinced that some buyers have an automatic script they use to put in offers of exactly half of the selling price, regardless who ridiculous it is. When I'm already marking a card down 70%, then someone comes along and tries to knock it down another 50% on top of that, I can't hit Reject quickly enough.

You may hit reject quickly, but I've had quit a few 50% offers on cards already marked down a ton accepted.

Until they all start getting declined, I'll continue to send them.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
ronzo said:
DeliciousBacon said:
theplasticman said:

You may hit reject quickly, but I've had quit a few 50% offers on cards already marked down a ton accepted.

Until they all start getting declined, I'll continue to send them.

I'll accept some of them every now and then, depending on the card and the person putting in the offer. I've always been annoyed on there by people nickel-and-diming me to save a buck, then turning around and flipping the card for some jacked-up price. If someone's making an offer that seems to me to be a collector, someone who really needs the card, that's when I'll do it.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
DeliciousBacon said:
theplasticman said:

I guess my attitude is more of a profit margin thing. I'm more concerned with how much I make on a card, based on how much I paid for it, not how much some arbitrary price guide lists. If the card books for $40 and I only paid $2, if I list it for $10, I'll happily take an offer for $5....I still made 250% profit on it. I consider 250% profit pretty good and don't blind myself by irrelevant book values.

I did a search for a COMC thread. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I threw $50 into an account so I could start making offers. I have about 22 cards in my dashboard that I want shipped to me.

How is their shipping? I laughed at their .20 cents per top loader add on fee. Really? If I opt for the bulk shipping, will the cards be send loose? Most of what I purchased is minis with a few GU so I'm wondering how they will ship them.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
David Campos said:
I did a search for a COMC thread. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I threw $50 into an account so I could start making offers. I have about 22 cards in my dashboard that I want shipped to me.

How is their shipping? I laughed at their .20 cents per top loader add on fee. Really? If I opt for the bulk shipping, will the cards be send loose? Most of what I purchased is minis with a few GU so I'm wondering how they will ship them.

soft sleeves

I've never had anything damaged using their cheapest shipping option.

Jester

Mar 31, 2011
David Campos said:

Hi, I work for COMC. With Bulk shipping, our cards are not sent in toploaders or pennysleeves, but they are secured from sliding around very effecively. No matter what shipping option anyone uses, all our cards are guaranteed to arrive safely and are protected by a 7-day 100% refund return policy. If you select the $0.20 toploader upgrade, the card will receive a brand new card-appropriate toploader - we carry all sizes, including A&G mini toploaders. The toploader upgrade isn't intended as a "Well, we'll send you your cards, but if you want them sent SAFELY it'll cost you extra" option, it's actually a feature that was requested by users. People can get one or two odd-size toploaders without needing to buy a whole box of them.
Thanks,

-J

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I have never seen so much overpriced crap than on COMC. You can get half of the stuff listed on there for half the price on eBay. The best is when it's a card that sells for like $7 on eBay, it says "Book Value $10" and it's listed for $15. Every single time I search COMC I never end up buying anything because the prices are absurd compared to everywhere else.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
I have never seen so much overpriced crap than on COMC. You can get half of the stuff listed on there for half the price on eBay. The best is when it's a card that sells for like $7 on eBay, it says "Book Value $10" and it's listed for $15. Every single time I search COMC I never end up buying anything because the prices are absurd compared to everywhere else.

then don't search the site, one less buyer to compete with then.

my current inventory right now was built off of $10, you must not be looking in the right places...

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Jester said:
David Campos said:

Hi, I work for COMC. With Bulk shipping, our cards are not sent in toploaders or pennysleeves, but they are secured from sliding around very effecively. No matter what shipping option anyone uses, all our cards are guaranteed to arrive safely and are protected by a 7-day 100% refund return policy. If you select the $0.20 toploader upgrade, the card will receive a brand new card-appropriate toploader - we carry all sizes, including A&G mini toploaders. The toploader upgrade isn't intended as a "Well, we'll send you your cards, but if you want them sent SAFELY it'll cost you extra" option, it's actually a feature that was requested by users. People can get one or two odd-size toploaders without needing to buy a whole box of them.
Thanks,

-J

I've only used the option once, but it was for one of those jumbo oversize boxtopper cards, and it only cost 15c (or whatever) for a toploader, which was pretty fair to me.

ronzo

Sep 8, 2008
Stroudsburg, PA
sportscardtheory said:

Complete opposite for me. I've picked up a ton of cards for cheaper than I'd ever find anywhere else, especially when I factor in shipping.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
markakis8 said:
sportscardtheory said:

my current inventory right now was built off of $10, you must not be looking in the right places...

There's no need to be passive aggressive about it. I'm just sharing my experience. I have searched the site numerous times only to find that the prices are usually higher than all the other places I have searched.

Casebreaker

Aug 11, 2010
sportscardtheory said:
markakis8 said:
sportscardtheory said:

There's no need to be passive aggressive about it. I'm just sharing my experience. I have searched the site numerous times only to find that the prices are usually higher than all the other places I have searched.

prices are higher, but you usually dont buy them at asking price, you can always submit offers. i buy all my cards with offers, i got deals doing this like a bryce harper auto jersey #/799 for $140 a few months ago, and a bunch of other stuff

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
I also want to point out as a seller -- I know we are discussing the fees -- but remember one other factor, once you send the cards to COMC you don't have to handle them anymore. You are not the one to prep packages; go to post offices, put cards in boxes, etc. If your time is worth anything to you, then even if the costs are a bit higher, you've saved time and money.

I usually do 2 shipments a year to COMC -- the 1st one is at the National so I don't have to pay for shipping (I carry those cards on the plane) and the 2nd one is shipped.
These are my stats: I'm very impressed with a site in which in basically a little over a year I have sold between 20 and 25 percent of my inventory. And I'm also continuing to go through my stuff to see if I have more items to send them to expand my inventory.
And the offers I get are interesting; sometimes I just take them, sometimes I laugh them off and sometimes I counter offer. I know other people who have done great with them as well. I'll just piddle along for now and keep adding inventory as I go

Items in Inventory 1,883
Total Book Value $4,064.20
Items w/o Book Price 20
Total Asking Price $1,787.80
Items w/o Asking Price 0
Items Not for Sale 0
Items Ready to Ship 0
Total Sales $384.15
Items Sold 519
Items Purchased 0
Items Added to the Site 2,402

Regards