Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

if you're going to show off your collection via scans.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I have a hell of a time getting all my scans to be straight and the same size. I've never figured out a way to make sure they're all uniform. If I put them right up against the top edge of the scanner then it cuts the top of my cards off. If I put them anywhere else they end up tilting a little bit or the scans end up different sizes.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Weimer said:
I have a hell of a time getting all my scans to be straight and the same size. I've never figured out a way to make sure they're all uniform. If I put them right up against the top edge of the scanner then it cuts the top of my cards off. If I put them anywhere else they end up tilting a little bit or the scans end up different sizes.
Use an empty top loader as a spacer between the edge and the card you are scanning.Use your crop feature to keep it out of the scan.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
For me, scanning has become a niche obsession within the hobby. Sort of like others are obsessed with organization or displaying. I love to produce a great scan!
danhudsonagauto2.jpg

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
When I am scanning a lot of cards for my website,
I put the cards in the 9 card sheet and then scan them and then crop them...
I have the "acquire now with auto slicing" but that doesn't work well when they are in sheets so I have to crop them into 9 seperate images

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
The OP takes a lot of time with his scans, as anyone can see. I do too, and I think all TBP is saying is, take pride in your collection and spend the extra 4 seconds per scan to get them uniform.

I don't care either way, but clean, nice scans are always more enjoyable.

At least we learned what Tom Murray's dealers friends have to say on the matter. Thanks for sharing Tom!

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
I don't care how other people scan their cards, but some people "can't" tilt their head to see the scan better. (I'm a frankinstein) I do however take alot of time to make sure my scans are straight and cropped, but I do need to rescan alot of my pc because I started scanning with a different resolution and a different scanner.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
WoW. I didn't know it was such a big deal to some people!

Check it out... I got my scanner in like 2002. I never really sit down and scan huge chunks of my collection, no time. If somebody wants to see a card for whatever reason, I'll scan it. If I add that last card so now it's a sweet set, I'll scan them. So all my scans are made at a rate of about 1 every 2 months or so. Add to that, I personally think that groups of cards should be scanned together, not separately. If you have 2 plates from the same set, or 3 plates, or 4 plates... they should be in a scan together. The scan should be as wide as possible, without messing up message board posts by making people scroll back and forth. If I have 1 card, I don't make it 600 x ___, but if I have 2 cards or 3 cards or 4 cards or 5 cards, I will. So the scans are sort of uniform? Nah, I just checked it out and my Sabathia scans are all kinds of sizes. I guess it's something I have never cared about, or had time for.

I was going to spend this one summer scanning my collection, but I wasted all that free time I could have been playing with baseball cards. I helped special needs children learn to ride horses. Then the next year I was like "this Thanksgiving I'm going to scan my collection!" but then I wasted that time doing this "Stuff the Truck" event so poor families could have a nice Thanksgiving dinner. Nowadays I waste those hours pushing a swing or playing in a sandbox with my daughter, which is a great time. You know what I mean? Some of us see you people with your perfect and uniform scans and think "Man, that time could have been spent doing something much more useful... and fulfilling."

If creating a perfect scan makes you feel good, you should try putting a smile on a kids face and see how that makes you feel. Worth a try huh?

In conclusion FCB, I sincerely apologize for the random sizes of my scans. But I try to only show 1 scan at a time so hopefully it won't bug anybody.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Eric, you should be ashamed of yourself

ThoseBackPages said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
In any event, I think I saw in this thread, mentioned by Brian, that they were thinking (or hopefully planning?) on doing something with the '48 Leaf design?

SO THIS!

the '48 Leaf set is a thing of beauty! and the Paige is easily the hardest post-war rookie card in existence.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

Members online

Latest posts